Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

Unpopular opinion:

There's several ways that Universal could place blame on the guest.

First, if there was clearly noticable danger involved and any reasonable person should not interact with the danger. For example, if the guest had felt a slight tingle, and went to investigate further instead of going to directly notify staff members, blame could be placed on the guest.

Second, if the guest was in areas where they don't belong.

Third, if the guest had refused medical attention but later attempted to sue for injury.

Not saying I know the answers but there's routes to take for their defense. Some could actually be reasonable.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion:

There's several ways that Universal could place blame on the guest.

First, if there was clearly noticable danger involved and any reasonable person should not interact with the danger. For example, if the guest had felt a slight tingle, and went to investigate further instead of going to directly notify staff members, blame could be placed on the guest.

Second, if the guest was in areas where they don't belong.

Third, if the guest had refused medical attention but later attempted to sue for injury.

Not saying I know the answers but there's routes to take for their defense. Some could actually be reasonable.
I'm still surprised JK Rowling approved any of this

My folks are going there today and I'm jealous. My Dad isn't much of a swimmer/water person, so it will be interesting to see how much he pushes himself to try the various slides without me there dragging him on them LOL

Until 11ish usually.

I'll give you my tips: Not sure if you're alone or with family/friends- but everyone needs to get there early and wait at a podium. Just like always, people love lines. So if there is an empty podium with no line, go to it. A TM will be at every podium (most will have 2 per during busy times).
Quick note: Make sure you have towels from the pool of the hotel youre coming from the day before you go to VB.

If you're at the front of the podium, have your party occupy both sides- that way if there's 2, you're covered without a line splitting and you being unaware, you'll also get your party in twice as fast. Everyone put their sunscreen on there and take off shoes, cover ups, etc 2-3 mins before opening and give them to the "lounge chair guy/gal" or whoever has the longest legs/moves the fastest. Everyone except the LCG goes straight to krakatau coaster. The "LCG" will fast walk to the sitting area (right in front of the volcano or wherever you want). Throw the towels on however many chairs you need kick off their shoes and then head to Krakatau as well. Don't do lockers- don't even mess with them this early.

If you do this, you should get 2-3 rides on Krakatau before getting out. Even during busy season. I've gotten 6 before without getting out of the canoe- and that's with a (then) 5 year old in tow.

Everything else is personal preference. But you should be "Krakatau'd out" and way ahead of the crowd if you use that first 5 minutes wisely.
Knocked out Krakatau 8 times in a row without getting out of boat this morning following this strategy btw. :cheers:

Knocked out Krakatau 8 times in a row without getting out of boat this morning following this strategy btw. :cheers:

Nice! :toast:

What's your favorite path to Krakatau once you rope drop? I used to like going to the left of the volcano (as you go in), but that was blocked off by TMs when we were last there (prior to that we went that way at least four different times). So then we did the right side, which meant walking over the sand around ropes, but lockers are open over there. I'm considering going right through the volcano next time, on that bridge that overlooks the wave pool and goes through the chamber that Sol is in (think that is the projection's name?). That comes out right by the entrance to the coaster.

I'm considering going right through the volcano next time, on that bridge that overlooks the wave pool and goes through the chamber that Sol is in (think that is the projection's name?). That comes out right by the entrance to the coaster.

Yes, I would totally go through the volcano. Head towards Ko'okiri and walk up the path near the cabanas to get into the volcano. Say hi to Vol and then take the exit to the right. Once you pass all the cabanas, the Krakatau entrance will be on your left.

Without a locker first thing, what’s the strategy for phones?

Look into Aqua Vault (we love ours), or as @tielo said, leave them in your car or hotel.

Nice! :toast:

What's your favorite path to Krakatau once you rope drop? I used to like going to the left of the volcano (as you go in), but that was blocked off by TMs when we were last there (prior to that we went that way at least four different times). So then we did the right side, which meant walking over the sand around ropes, but lockers are open over there. I'm considering going right through the volcano next time, on that bridge that overlooks the wave pool and goes through the chamber that Sol is in (think that is the projection's name?). That comes out right by the entrance to the coaster.
I just go to the right on the concrete over the bridge that’s above the lazy river and by the kids area. I suppose you could also do the “inside volcano” route.

But tbh, the route isn’t that important. It’s about getting in there first thing, putting on the tapu tapu while walking and dropping your stuff as quick as possible.
Almost everyone else, even if rushing first thing gets into “now let’s get organized” mode. Sets all their stuff up nice, puts on lotion, etc.
If you just toss your stuff on the chairs, kick off the shoes and worry about all that later, you’ll be way ahead of the game.

Without a locker first thing, what’s the strategy for phones?
I usually leave it in the room. But if I bring it, I just throw it in my pocket (waterproof). If you’re worried about the waterproof thing, just throw it in a ziplock or waterproof case and go to town.
Just a perk of being a guy with trunks & pockets.

Remember that this is just for hitting Krakatau multiple times in a row first thing, so you can go grab a locker afterward or whatever before you do the drop slides or more intense stuff.

And to be frank, Even if your phone was in your bag on a lounger, people aren’t going to steal your stuff in the first hour. Remember that’s only on-site guests or APs. So the odds of one of them being on the prowl for gear in a bag that first hour is slim to none.

Crazy idea, keep them in your hotel room safe.
Yes, I would totally go through the volcano. Head towards Ko'okiri and walk up the path near the cabanas to get into the volcano. Say hi to Vol and then take the exit to the right. Once you pass all the cabanas, the Krakatau entrance will be on your left.
Look into Aqua Vault (we love ours), or as @tielo said, leave them in your car or hotel.

Leaving them in the hotel is not really an option as we have a large multi-generational group traveling on a (literally for half the people) once in a lifetime trip. So phones will be critical for photos and videos. Also, some of the members of the party won't do slides all day so if they later decide to chill on a chair, they may want their phones.

I just bought an Aqua Vault! We leave tomorrow and it will be here Amazon Prime Same Day today. That seems like it may do the trick for us...thanks for the idea @Journey_On !

Annoying side note about pics/videos. Yes, I have a GoPro and when we go to Disney water parks I wear it on a wrist mount with no issues (also have no issue at our local water park and local Great Wolf Lodge). I take pics and videos all day on all the slides with no issues. We went to VB during the opening Summer and I was forced to put it away on every single slide. They would not let me use it. Kinda annoying. And to be clear...it's attached to the back of my hand...I can still hold onto a handle just fine.

I have a waterproof case that I keep them in typically...never had an issue at the parks

I had an “incident” at Aulani in Hawaii where I came off a slide at the perfect angle and speed that burst open my “waterproof” case and ruined a phone. Unlikely to ever happen again but I’ve been burned once!

I've seen (who I'm guessing is) Horticulture working back there near Maku Puihi, and I swear I saw some sort of concrete structure being built there as well.