Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

Does anyone want to make a prediction on how busy Volcano Bay will be mid July for my next trip there!?! haha I was there in February and it was a ghost town. I'm curious as to how busy water parks will be in general post COVID-19. on one hand it would be nice for it to be less busy for my trip but i also don't want the industry to suffer anymore from all of this.
My prediction is that VB doesn't open along with the other parks and may stay closed until IOA and USF get their legs back under them. That's not based on anything, just a feeling.
There’s a lot of ongoing work to gauge perception of water parks. I think Uni would be comfortable opening the park this summer, but it’s a matter of how much the “water parks are icky” mindset mixed with corona would come into play.

Have any water parks around the world reopened yet?
Not to my knowledge. I know that Europa Park in Germany is reopening on 29th May but their indoor water park Rulantica is staying shut. They are also reopening their hotels but are keeping the pools shut.

I could see it opening a little after the parks with no grouping rafts, no lazy river etc.

Maybe inflate the wait times so TMs have more time to clean handles etc.

It may also become a staffing issue. I have to wonder how many of the part timers won't come back after being laid off?
Might be a problem prior to July 31st....those $600 week extra in unemployment checks..... after July 31st i would think there's going to be way more unemployed people in Orlando than jobs. Decisions would probably change then.

Might be a problem prior to July 31st....those $600 week extra in unemployment checks..... after July 31st i would think there's going to be way more unemployed people in Orlando than jobs. Decisions would probably change then.
If Universal calls to bring you back then you are no longer eligible for Unemployment though. People can't scam the system that easily to get the extra $600. Once Universal calls you to come in, you either go in and are now employed again and therefore ineligible for unemployment, or you turn them down and you quit, which ALSO makes you ineligible for unemployment.

They'd have to either lay you off entirely or fire you for you to continue to be eligible for the unemployment benefits.

If Universal calls to bring you back then you are no longer eligible for Unemployment though. People can't scam the system that easily to get the extra $600. Once Universal calls you to come in, you either go in and are now employed again and therefore ineligible for unemployment, or you turn them down and you quit, which ALSO makes you eligible for unemployment.

They'd have to either lay you off entirely or fire you for you to continue to be eligible for the unemployment benefits.
It's a bit easier here in the north, in this case Pa. You can refuse to go back to work citing CV health concerns, and the state will consider that risk especially if age is involved. and the state also said they won't take people off unless the employer actually contacts the state and complains. They've removed the 'looking for work' and reporting requirements at this time also. The state has publicly stated those positions.....Of course, Florida being in the south, is probably an entirely different ballgame. In Universal's case, will they actually report the employee?. They've been pretty pro employee through this entire mess thus far.

It's a bit easier here in the north, in this case Pa. You can refuse to go back to work citing CV health concerns, and the state will consider that risk especially if age is involved. and the state also said they won't take people off unless the employer actually contacts the state and complains. They've removed the 'looking for work' and reporting requirements at this time also. The state has publicly stated those positions.....Of course, Florida being in the south, is probably an entirely different ballgame. In Universal's case, will they actually report the employee?. They've been pretty pro employee through this entire mess thus far.
They had removed the "looking for work" part of unemployment here for quite awhile, but as of May 9th, it's now a requirement again.

They had removed the "looking for work" part of unemployment here for quite awhile, but as of May 9th, it's now a requirement again.
Yes, I'd expect that from Florida....they of the 12 weeks, $270 max benefit.....apx. $570 max here in Pa. and way more weeks

Doesn't matter if they've already left town. More of an issue for WDW, who sent like 10k workers home, but anecdotal evidence suggests people are bailing on Orlando.

Doesn't matter if they've already left town. More of an issue for WDW, who sent like 10k workers home, but anecdotal evidence suggests people are bailing on Orlando.
That happened to Pittsburgh when they lost all those steel jobs in rapid fashion. People, especially the young, moved in mass to Charlotte, Houston, and just about wherever they could find jobs (Pittsburgh unemployment hit in the 20% plus for most areas for a couple of years, and the Mon Valley for over a decade) . They all left and most never came back. It's going to be a tough year for Orlando. Former level might come back in a year or two, but by then those people will have new life's in new areas. Really sad how hard these downturns are in an area dependent on one industry. This will be many times worse than 9/11 on the destination tourist industry.

Hell, i'm seriously thinking of leaving. Thinking of moving up north where I have more family and I can get away from this tourist town and insufferable summer weather.

The Orlando economy is going to get much worse before it gets better; if you have a stimulus check and unemployment, might as well. Every weekend I see two or three moving trucks outside my complex, and there haven't been tours since March so I doubt any of them are moving in.

It's going to be a tough year for Orlando. Former level might come back in a year or two, but by then those people will have new life's in new areas. Really sad how hard these downturns are in an area dependent on one industry. This will be many times worse than 9/11 on the destination tourist industry.

I fear you''re underestimating with a year or two. International travel and conventions likely on hold until some time in 2021, and lots of layoffs yet to come this Summer around the U.S. Throw in residual COVID fears, I think it may be a half decade or more.

You’ll simply be trading it for insufferable winter weather.
Hawai’i or bust! :lol:
Ive thought it through, I grew up in Mass though so know what to expect.
-----------------------------
Alright guys, back to Volcano Bay or move the discussion elsewhere.