Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

First look in Stargazer's Tavern. Don't think the effects are turned on yet, but I'm a bit disappointed that it isn't on the same scale as the concept art.

Okay I am a bit sad... I don't know how the star effect could even work if they install it, it's so light in there. Unless it'll only be starry at night.... Am I missing something? I didn't even see anywhere for lights to be attached.

For being a bunch of theme park aficionados, many of you don't seem to know how theme park opening days can go. Rarely do parks open at 100%, with every attraction working, or even without some of it still behind walls. We just live in a different age where the bloggers descend on Day 1 and everyone's formulating their opinions based on their pics and video.

This is totally fair, but it's funny you should say that... I had the pleasure of attending the Shanghai grand opening day. As far as I'm aware Iger didn't have to issue an apology...

The way they shot themselves in the foot here (apart from lacking softs), was opening the park without limiting capacity. Capacity should have been relatively limited for grand opening. They just set themselves up for failure, the PR is worth more than packing a few more guests in. SDL's opening day was about 70% of their theoretical capacity. It bumped up to 85% for the opening period and after running for a while has finally settled around the non-theoretical actual capacity.

I think we all expect ride issues for openings, but we have some historical opening day data... In no way was this the complete worst, but it certainly wasn't a very good first foot forward. The park also looks more like what I'd expect from a soft opening, grand openings should at least look the part, but there is quite a bit of random equipment, tarps etc. strewn around the entire site.

I just don't understand why they felt such a need to rush it to the public.

So for a park that is commanding 5 hour waits on most of the slides. The pictures I've seen of the park don't show the park to be overcrowded at all. I'm not seeing wall to wall people in the wave pool,lazy river,or sidewalks. This in itself is a bad sign.

Actually, that's more of a good thing. My general fear with these no line models is that guests need to go somewhere else and it's the common areas that become overstuffed and a nightmare. It's good to hear that isn't the case even if the ride infrastructure is stretched to the limit.

At least if you can barely get on anything there are places that are easy to find to relax.

I think it is good to know that you can bump a ride with a long wait by scanning for a shorter line on another ride... Sad thing is, I am not sure this is clear to all guests.

Regardless, it seems like the water coaster is the special treat that few can ride within a reasonable time frame.

From people who have actually been in the park: is every single ride hitting those 5 hour waits constantly throughout the day?

The Aqua Coaster is pre-loaded with a return time, right? Are people coming it at noon, getting queued automatically for the coaster at 5 because there are already so many people in the park, and basing their reactions off that?

Has anyone used express passes?

Aaaaand... what happens to people who enter a slides staircase without scanning first? Too, what if they scan and it isn't their time yet? Is there someone there to shoo them away?

I believe it is.
The night before we went VB we walked to entrance to see how far it was so organised for opening day. When at entrance by CBBR got speaking to guy in universal shirt and he asked where we were staying etc and told him on universal site but had gone Disney that day which he said was like a dagger spoke to him for about 15 mins nice guy. Discussed VB for quite some time. Didn't have a clue who he was until seen the pictures! Wish I knew as have a lot of questions I would have asked

The wait times issue will sort itself in short order. The lack of softs has literally thrown the ops folks to the wolves. They are pushing less than half of the number of guests through the attractions than they were designed for because they don't know what they are doing yet.

(FoP is now a 4 hour wait and DAK is at capacity. Let's see how smoothly their first day goes.)

the dolphins in captivity which always give me a sad...
Off topic- but every single dolphin they have is rescued and deemed unfit to return to the ocean. They're all rescues. So it's either they're at seaworld, other aquariums, or they have to be euthanized. Also keep in mind seaworld is one of the very few AZA certified aquariums in the country. They give better care than almost every aquarium you've ever been to. So don't feel too sad :)

Yea I didn't expect it to be so small. You can literally see the light at the end of the tunnel as soon as you enter lol
I actually don't mind it that much... it has to be decently lit for lifeguard reasons- but at night this thing could shine.
It's nowhere near as agregious as the fearless river.

The night before we went VB we walked to entrance to see how far it was so organised for opening day. When at entrance by CBBR got speaking to guy in universal shirt and he asked where we were staying etc and told him on universal site but had gone Disney that day which he said was like a dagger spoke to him for about 15 mins nice guy. Discussed VB for quite some time. Didn't have a clue who he was until seen the pictures! Wish I knew as have a lot of questions I would have asked
That's awesome- And that right there is why I said he cares about everyone personally. He's a great person.

Off topic- but every single dolphin they have is rescued and deemed unfit to return to the ocean. They're all rescues. So it's either they're at seaworld, other aquariums, or they have to be euthanized. Also keep in mind seaworld is one of the very few AZA certified aquariums in the country. They give better care than almost every aquarium you've ever been to. So don't feel too sad :)

I actually don't mind it that much... it has to be decently lit for lifeguard reasons- but at night this thing could shine.
It's nowhere near as agregious as the fearless river.

That's awesome- And that right there is why I said he cares about everyone personally. He's a great person.
I did teach him some uk geography as he is going for two weeks end of August he said. Felt quite embarrassed when realised who he was and we said had spent the day at Disney

I personally think the lazy river cave looks great, if not the concept art. The action river, I will agree, looks kind of like the bowels of a chocolate factory in some parts and that is being kind. Too, the work trailer area of the action is exposed! One or two trees does not a barrier make.

I never actually met him but he did one of the nicest things for us you could possibly expect (Note: I may have told this story before:))....During one of the early years that I stayed on site at Universal, I had really screwed up my online booking for Portofino. Instead of waiting for the info to go through, I had hit the icon resulting in my booking three separate rooms for the same vacation. So I called Loew's hotline once I got the three email confirmation bookings back. The employee was real helpful with fixing my mistake, and we chatted a bit about Universal. As is my nature, since I just love Universal, I was kind of gushing over how much I enjoyed the park. Now, it's a few months later & I pull up to Portofino, go inside, and check in the reservation desk. The clerk asked me to wait a moment, left, and came back with the Portofino resort manager. He greeted me by name and said he had received a phone call from Universal President Bill Davis to give me special treatment, the manager explained. Seems the Loew's phone rep was so amazed by my enthusiasm that he told his superior, who in turn called Mr. Davis and told him the story. Mr. Davis directed the hotel manager to red flag my reservation and take care of me when I arrived. That was the first time they gave me the upgraded room on the bay with one of two huge enclosed bayview balconies that overlook the Italian singers. They also gave me every gift that you could think of. Besides the customary fruit plates, they gave me things like CD's, a Portofino shirt, two extra Loew's robes (besides the regular room robes) to take home, and a couple of comp breakfasts. ...I'll tell you what, I'm a Bill Davis, Universal & Loew's fan for life. That was something, out of the ordinary, that they didn't have to do, but they did. And,not only then, I have always been treated really well at Universal, at the hotels and at the parks. They are really good people. :):thumbsup:

Last edited:
see-how-real-fast-food-looks-shockingly-different-from-how-it-looks-in-ads.jpg