WB Studios - A Festival of Frights | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

WB Studios - A Festival of Frights

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If you've been on a thousand roller coasters, you know exactly when in the video there's hang time, zero g's, adrenaline pumping going up the ramp, air and wind in your face, etc.. All it takes is a little imagination. You gonna tell me that you have to physically be on this ride to give your opinion on it?

Are all the people commenting below that it looks like the worst dark ride ever wrong? Not even saying "looks," that it just flat out is? Would you be willing to give the benefit of the doubt, make the trip there, just so you can actually ride it and have a "valid" opinion? Would you pay even $5 for this? A $1?

With all the black walls on this ride I would have thought Murdy and the HHN Hollywood team did this ride.

I think that's true, but if he lives 5 hours away, coming on a Thursday or Sunday night may not be possible. Would you drive 5 hours to an evening event if you had to work the next day? And not everybody has the luxury to take a day off work.

Correct.

The point still stands considering you can go on a Friday or Saturday and still get everything done if you do Early Entry. I've done it, we've all done it, dozens and hundreds of times. You could also go in November and pay $40 instead of $80.

I'm assuming you're a local? Dude, I'm not going to drop lots of money for hotel, transportation, food, and tickets just to experience the event in 2 hours during the day. I want to get my money's worth and stay until 2 AM! Remember I'm not a local and rarely get a chance to come to LA.

Also, I use my early entry time to go to Harry Potter since they unfortunately have that part closed during HHN.

Last edited:
Correct.

I'm assuming you're a local? Dude, I'm not going to drop lots of money for hotel, transportation, food, and tickets just to experience the event in 2 hours during the day. I want to get my money's worth and stay until 1 AM! Remember I'm not a local and rarely get a chance to come to LA.

Also, I use my early entry time to go to Harry Potter since they unfortunately have that part closed during HHN.

PS: I've actually gone in November and it was packed! So glad I got the FOTLP.

Gee... what a shock. A forum full of leg-humping fanboys taking a dump on an event they didn't even attend (yet), let alone the chaotic hiccup that was media/team member preview last night. You guys will rip apart HHN every year, but still attend (despite the price hikes & crowds). You'll rip on other events you haven't been to in a while or don't plan on attending. Its really kind of a joke honestly. Your expectations are way too high for EVERYTHING. As its been said, this is the 3rd year for WB (first year for going full haunt) unlike Knotts (46 years) & HHN Hollywood (19 years total). You can't compare them. Knotts repeats 75% of its content, yet is still going strong. HHN is hit or miss, but also repeats content in some way. Why not take your head out of your @$$ & just open your mind to "new" events rather than talk crap about them or judge them without even going.

I'm suuuuuper stoked about this event! Arkham Asylum is the #1 thing I'm looking forward to. Never did I think there would a haunt maze recreated from one of my favorite video games of all time!

Also, I'm really curious about the Exorcist Forbidden Screening...
I actually expected Arkham to become a thing once Six Flags had the Suicide Squad the past 2 years. As for Exorcist, it was down most of the night. It was a good idea, but terrible execution. We'll see how it goes this weekend. So far, that is the only "weak link".

More specifically, it's more centered on present IP's and potential IP's for further down the road.
Correct... its suspected that next year could see Supernatural, Shining, Beetlejuice & Potter.. We'll have to wait & see. Great merch though.

If you want some mild spoilers, if you go on Google maps, you can see a lot of what the trail looks like in a POV. It's definitely a lot more closed in than the Terror Tram and I imagine will be very creepy at night. From the looks of the map, it even looks like you go through a cabin/house, which is pretty amazing because they're practical sets and not just facades. It will definitely be terrifying with a small group of people. Not to mention, the trail looks fairly long. And I think it's a specific trail, not something you just wander around in.

IT & Conjuring are getting praise for how they have both improved, and Arkham is getting a rather good word. At-least, from what I'm reading around for tonight.
IT is full of scares. Arkham has some great encounters with a few scares. Conjuring was very popular & had decent scares.

I've got someone sending me pics/ reviews and oh my the event looks underwhelming so far. Apparently, it's not worth anywhere near the price they've advertised for. IT however is a highlight but the costumes/ makeup is apparently terrible. Conjuring being the most disappointing.
And clearly they are just their to be judgmental rather than actually enjoy the event itself. The costumes/makeup are far from terrible. Conjuring was very popular.

IT looks ok but I think the guided tour of Conjuring is what kills it. Scenically though it’s exactly what I would want from a maze off that franchise but if it had Horror Night’s scares it would be amazing.
So you want solid black hallways with scareactors hitting a trigger with sound/light everywhere. Got it. ....what kills it, is you watching a video.

I'm getting ready to start hearing rumblings of WB returning their IPs to Universal for HHN 2019 already..
You're actually so wrong about that it is hilarious.

The question shouldn't be, is this event better than HHN?
But....Is it better than last year? If the answer is yes, then it's a success.
Exactly. Although don't even compare it to last year. This is completely different & both Conjuring/IT are brand new from the ground up.

HERE'S YOUR PSA:
As someone on here who was actually there last night. I can tell you this. Not everything was ready for Preview Night (oh hey... just like HHN on both coasts. but hey lets bash it & praise HHN anyway). It suffered from chaotic hiccups, but last night still went well. It is a smaller event & a very different event. WB is NOT a theme park. It can & will be a different experience from the other haunt events. Last year they tested the waters with only roughly 800 guests each night. Tomorrow is apparently sold out with roughly 3,000 guests. Drastically small number compared to the 20,000+ Universal pumps in, but it doesn't have the capacity to have more guests. The scareactors were on point, in character and had FUN. (keyword: fun.) The mazes are well done with great set details (a lot of which weren't in place the other day). Remember, these mazes are located inside backlot set/facades... which means they aren't exactly sound proof. The event has a lot of kinks to work out, LIKE ALL EVENTS DO! It isn't perfect, but it isn't as terrible as so many of you fanboys are making it out to be (without having been). It is just "different". The only real weak link in the line-up is "Exorcist". It was a good idea on paper, but doesn't exactly work in reality (or at least not last night. So it might change). Unlike the other haunt events, this isn't meant for repeat visits. It is certainly worth going twice if you are there to enjoy yourself & not be eternally judgey about everything. One visit is good enough for this type of event because it is smaller.

- Maze lines do close an hour before the event closes
- Tram is hoping to have clearance to extend later, but like HHN... yay neighbors
- Crave Inn is a restaurant (also a tribute in name... Clue: Wes)
- Fangtasia is small, but its a bar... so yay booze (and overpriced bloodbags that DO have liquor in them)
- Little Shop of Horrors has some great merch. Its roughly the size of Feature Presentation, maybe a tad smaller.. but packed full.
- Devil's Drop is smaller than expected, but a nice additional thrill to do.
- Small stage is for the DJ & Bette/Joan. Yay entertainment
- Scarezone entrance scareactors (clowns/freaks) wander the "midway" after the initial opening
- Terror Tram is a bit dark & didn't have all of its lighting/effects (however the cast still rocked it. despite being spread thin).
- Arkham... you will either get Two-Face or Riddler & Poison Ivy or Penguin. Also Dr Harleen or Harley, depending on when you go through.
- IT... same as above but with Pennywise or Headless Boy & Pennywise or Beverly.
- Neibolt house is a photo-op with Georgie (much like Norman & the Psycho house)
- Arkham photo-op is inside the first scene of the maze. Fun getting booked into the asylum
- Lost Boys arcade is small & leaves something to be desired, but eh..
- Make-up tutorial demonstration is available
- Tim Burton exhibit is cool

Overall, it is a very fun enjoyable experience on the backlot. For what they were able to pull off, it was good. The key thing you have to remember, this is a fully functional studio backlot that actually uses these sets (especially this area) a lot, so they have less time than Universal. For being a flaw-filled preview night, it was still enjoyable. Without constructive criticism & positive feedback, events won't grow, change or evolve. So don't be lame. Go check out the event. Experience something NEW. and most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Uh, you can compare them if they're gonna offer 85-95$ a night for a less than stellar reviewed event. You're on a Universal forum dude. And again, stop acting like you're right all the time man. I speak for myself but it's so damn annoying. People have opinions. Just because they don't align with yours doesn't mean I should get my head out of my butt when youre the one on here talking crap about others...

Last edited:
Fair counterpoint. Happy to hear both sides of this.

I still don't think what's on offer is necessarily worth the $76 minimum (+ parking) that they're charging.

Reactions: DTH and Rideguy70
Uh, you can compare them if they're gonna offer 85-95$ a night for a less than stellar review event. You're on a Universal forum dude. And again, stop acting like you're right all the time man. I speak for myself but it's so damn annoying. People have opinions. Just because they don't align with yours doesn't mean I should get my head out of my butt when youre the one on here talking crap about others...
Gotta remember that he's been banking on this being better than HHN, gotta make sure he follows through with his pre-conceived opinions.

Where you guys lose your credibility is the fact that you HAVEN'T ATTENDED.

Nothing wrong with having opinions. Just base those opinions on experience, not dark videos on Youtube of a media preview event not ready for prime time.

Glad you guys weren't around during Year 3 of HHN to express how "lame" the event was.

For
Doubt it, especially with KSF being the only other event to compare it too.

I'm pretty sure HHN 3 looked very different than HHN 19. I reckon it's a lot more impressive now than what it used to be.

Remember that Knott's Berry Farm was the gold standard back in the day.

So I'm sure there was people that didn't want to give HHN a chance and just stick to Knott's.

Horror Made Here=Early Halloween Horror Nights

Present Day Halloween Horror Nights=Knott's Scary Farm of the Past

For

I'm pretty sure HHN 3 looked very different than HHN 19. I reckon it's a lot more impressive now than what it used to be.

Remember that Knott's Berry Farm was the gold standard back in the day.

So I'm sure there was people that didn't want to give HHN a chance and just stick to Knott's.

Horror Made Here=Early Halloween Horror Nights

Present Day Halloween Horror Nights=Knott's Scary Farm of the Past

I seriously disagree. While it's true that HMH might look like early HHN, that's just not an excuse for it looking like early HHN now.

Put it this way: if I owned an airplane company, and I only knew how to build bi-planes, it'd be dumb for me to expect airlines to buy my planes now just because Boeing had a headstart.

Same thing with HHN and WB. The tricks that HHN has been using - jump scare doors, little acted vignettes, distraction triggers and scare triggers and no tour guides because people are smart enough to go through a maze without a hand to hold - those have been around for years. Same with tricks that Knotts have been using, things like floating cables and giant animatronics and puppets and drop panels. There's nothing stopping HMH from using those tricks to make a scary attraction. As unfair as it might sound, haunt-goers can't be expected to give HMH a free pass just because it's their "first time." People just can't care about that, especially when they're paying so much.

Anyway, biggest complaint so far, as stupid as it is to say, is just that there's barely any Scarecrow in the Arkham maze. They're the most famous part of the game; it's something that HHN or Knotts would've built an entire Maze's worth of scares around. But he just sort of...shows up. No giant scarecrow, no Thomas or Martha Wayne, no weird glitch effects, just kinda shows up and laughs. And I think that kinda shows what the event is; they set up something with the potential to be great, and then they just sorta laugh a little.

- Little Shop of Horrors has some great merch. Its roughly the size of Feature Presentation, maybe a tad smaller.. but packed full.

I'm not quoting everything you said because it's long, but every events deserves a chance. I'm going to LA for my first time ever and I'm actually going on the 28th. The way I saw it, it seems more like a smaller scale party with haunts rather than just event for the haunts. (I'm not sure if you catch my drift, but either way I'm excited.)

Also, I'm a HUUUUGE Little Shop fan and love the idea of it being the merch place. Do you know if they have anything related to buy? Any other stands out from the merch?

There's nothing stopping HMH from using those tricks to make a scary attraction.

Not to mention it's WARNER freaking BROTHERS STUDIOS. It's more than fair to criticize the event even if it's just it's third year especially if they knew the type of competition they were going against AND restricting Universal from using particular IPs.

You can be a first year professional haunt and still put on a kick ass event. It's very very very possible.

It's 2018 and the "art of the scare" has been perfected, haunted house design has been perfected, putting on an event has been perfected. Warner Brothers had professional designers on their team designing this event. Designers that left their parks to work on this event (Dark Harbor, HHN, ETC).....Is your argument valid? No, no it's really not. So yeah, blame it on "it's only their first year."

Now, can they improve? YES! Will they improve? YES!

If they underperform or get bad reviews I wonder if they’ll let HHN have access to one of their big IPs(IT 1 or 2, Conjuring 1 or 2, Annabelle 1&2, or The Nun)