WDW 50th Celebration | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

WDW 50th Celebration

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If the event lasts 18 months, and starts October 2021... that tells me they can say Guardians and Tron is still opening as “part of the 50th anniversary... Even if they open as late as early 2023.

Reactions: HHN Yeti Lover
I love how my expectations plummeted for this, and yet they were still higher than what we're getting. It's funny because Disneyland folks tend to complain that WDW gets all the new stuff, but when it comes to the celebrations their's are way better.
We do?

I always found Disneyland to be far superior and receiving more interesting things

If the event lasts 18 months, and starts October 2021... that tells me they can say Guardians and Tron is still opening as “part of the 50th anniversary... Even if they open as late as early 2023.

Technically, that would absolutely be accurate, yes.

It always seemed to me that these celebrations should culminate with the actual anniversaries, rather than kick-off in tepid fashion.

Reactions: Clive
Technically, that would absolutely be accurate, yes.

It always seemed to me that these celebrations should culminate with the actual anniversaries, rather than kick-off in tepid fashion.
Eh, there was basically nothing to DL’s 60th Diamond Celebration aside from Paint The Night and enhanced versions of WoC and a 60th fireworks show, but to me, it was a very special time at Disneyland despite no new rides opening at all (there was some ride upgrades, but that was it).

In the beginning, Guardians had nothing to do with the 50th. It was part of the original Epcot redo plans which were not led by Zach. The usual construction and slow-rolling delays independent of Covid caused it to drift into the 50th window and then Covid along with back-pocketing Ratatouille pushed it deeper into the 50th to the point that spring 2022 seems most likely.

Tron, from the beginning, was for the 50th. So, in a world where everything built by Disney gets delayed no matter what and Marketing‘s stance after Covid to slide the entire slate backwards by a year, you’re now looking at going out the back of the 50th window. If there wasn’t an anniversary I suspect they’d hold it to Memorial Dayish 2023, but since there is they’ll probably squeeze it in. If I had to bet now, I’d say holiday 22 or spring 23.

There was never going to be a massive October 2021 dump of big new things - if you were waiting for that even pre-Covid you would have been disappointed.

Eh, there was basically nothing to DL’s 60th Diamond Celebration aside from Paint The Night and enhanced versions of WoC and a 60th fireworks show, but to me, it was a very special time at Disneyland despite no new rides opening at all (there was some ride upgrades, but that was it).
Exactly, the major attractions for the 60th were Paint the Night, 60th WoC (which got terrible reviews and I seem to recall was ended early), Disneyland Forever (which added projection mapping, but they rotate firework shows there often), and some refreshes like Matterhorn animatronics. It was mostly merch and banners and doo dads on the castle. You are correct, it was special and generated a lot of excitement, but their passholders get psyched about new popcorn buckets.

Exactly, the major attractions for the 60th were Paint the Night, 60th WoC (which got terrible reviews and I seem to recall was ended early), Disneyland Forever (which added projection mapping, but they rotate firework shows there often), and some refreshes like Matterhorn animatronics. It was mostly merch and banners and doo dads on the castle. You are correct, it was special and generated a lot of excitement, but their passholders get psyched about new popcorn buckets.
This was my first time in DL, so I think the celebration just made it all the more special.

Reactions: HandsomePete

Regarding ToT's look, if the focus is just making it look pretty/new, that's definitely a choice.

However, wouldn't it be neat if it was looking like it was back in it's heyday...mere moments before the lightning strike? For me, that would be the perfect kind of projection show for ToT to show off the incident which forever changed the hotel.

There was never going to be a massive October 2021 dump of big new things - if you were waiting for that even pre-Covid you would have been disappointed.

I think we all know that. Folks like Martin have been talking about the 50th for years, and warning that not much would be happening.

That doesn't mean we have to agree that it's the right move for such a signature event.

Regarding ToT's look, if the focus is just making it look pretty/new, that's definitely a choice.

However, wouldn't it be neat if it was looking like it was back in it's heyday...mere moments before the lightning strike? For me, that would be the perfect kind of projection show for ToT to show off the incident which forever changed the hotel.

I'm conflicted. I think so much of the atmosphere around the attraction is predicated upon the feeling that it's a creepy, abandoned structure. Brightening it up and throwing weird splashes of color on it doesn't scream "setting the mood."

I think we all know that. Folks like Martin have been talking about the 50th for years, and warning that not much would be happening.

That doesn't mean we have to agree that it's the right move for such a signature event.

I'm conflicted. I think so much of the atmosphere around the attraction is predicated upon the feeling that it's a creepy, abandoned structure. Brightening it up and throwing weird splashes of color on it doesn't scream "setting the mood."

We happened to be on vacation and at MK for the 40th. We really saw the worst of Disney 'fandom'. With needing reservations this year, they are best playing as low key as possible (or I guess just having and 18 month acknowledgement to 50 years in FL).

I know they've made some changes in the past 10 years, but the park does not handle 'one time' events well at all, they did not do much of anything for the 40th but the crowd was too much and brass was around in the day time so I imagine the b crew was left when the sun went down -- I do not have found memories of the evening of the 40th in the Magic Kingdom -- you couldn't pay me to go there on the 5oth ;-)

I would be more likely to agree if there was any theme park anywhere that for any anniversary dumped many years worth of capital spending into a single season for the purpose of celebrating that anniversary.

Look at Cedar Point - 150th anniversary of the coaster capital of the world and they built a boat ride. Oh and a bunch of marketing and sales gimmicks - go figure.

Yeah, I know more is coming and this felt like a kickoff, not a "ok that's it folks".

Precisely. This was just the teaser trailer. (I mean, I don’t think we can expect anything major like a parade or new fireworks... obviously, but there will be more celebration stuff to come).

Wow, this keeps looking worse and worse. I know this piece is shown out of context on a piece of plywood on the side of a butler building, but I can't imagine it looking much better on the castle. I just feel like there's a disconnect in taste in planning all this. I like the dark blue and gold of the portals and the toll plaza, but the castle colors just look awful to me.

I love Mary Blair's work and her use of color, but the castle wasn't built in her style, and the colors just don't fit it.

lf

I think even the castle cake would be preferable to this...

Last edited:
Interesting, I was not able too secure passes for the Magic Kingdom on October 1st so i guess I won't be missing much. At least I can ride the rat ride lol

Reactions: belloq87
Is there any chance Disney will bring back annual passes before the 50th?
Maybe towards the end of the year once enough have been vaccinated.

I actually still have an active pass until March 26th. I'm gonna try to go to all parks one more time and then i'm pretty much gonna skip a year. If the only thing coming in the next 12 months is Rat and Harmonious, there's no reason for me to renew when I can wait until GotG and Tron debut and Rat and Harmonious will still be there for me. I'm not overly excited about Rat anyway, tbh.

Reactions: HHN Yeti Lover