Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

WDW Parks Banning Smoking, Stroller Wagons, Loose Ice Beginning May 1st

Yeah, that smoking ban isn't gonna go well with the Chinese and Korean Tourists in DL as well as some of the younger European guests who travel to the world.

....Scott do we need to have an intervention?

:look: :lol:

I only read about the smoking ban and that was my logical conclusion. Flashbacks to visiting Hawaii.

I can see both sides to this but I think this is only going to make things worse and there has to be some middle ground.

People complaining about walking past smokers is a genuine concern and the smoking areas should be off the beaten track and well hidden but if people are going to be forced out the parks and past security, especially at DL. Walking into Disney will be through a crowd of smoke for every person visiting or worse, people will start smoking any where they can out of convenience or protest.

I never really noticed people smoking except for Epcot and TL at the bar. If people can't smoke, they might not drink.I know plenty of people who can only drink and smoke.

If they take it a step further and ban people having cigarettes on them which will force people to return to their car or hotel, people aren't going to visit.

I've spoke to a few people today who are heavy smokers and regular visitors to Orlando, who have flat out refused to visit Disney because of this. It could be a knee jerk reaction but I could believe.

I can see Disney caving in on this and maybe have one smoking area per park that could either be indoors or behind a walled off area.

Will Universal follow suit?

:look: :lol:

I only read about the smoking ban and that was my logical conclusion. Flashbacks to visiting Hawaii.

I can see both sides to this but I think this is only going to make things worse and there has to be some middle ground.

People complaining about walking past smokers is a genuine concern and the smoking areas should be off the beaten track and well hidden but if people are going to be forced out the parks and past security, especially at DL. Walking into Disney will be through a crowd of smoke for every person visiting or worse, people will start smoking any where they can out of convenience or protest.

I never really noticed people smoking except for Epcot and TL at the bar. If people can't smoke, they might not drink.I know plenty of people who can only drink and smoke.

If they take it a step further and ban people having cigarettes on them which will force people to return to their car or hotel, people aren't going to visit.

I've spoke to a few people today who are heavy smokers and regular visitors to Orlando, who have flat out refused to visit Disney because of this. It could be a knee jerk reaction but I could believe.

I can see Disney caving in on this and maybe have one smoking area per park that could either be indoors or behind a walled off area.

Will Universal follow suit?
I just think it’s weird that people who smoke take offense to this ban, instead of self-reflecting “Why may others not want to have smoke around them?” they get outraged saying “alcohol is dangerous to health too” or “I’ll never go back to Disney again!” Smoking is blantantly terrible for you AND those around you. I get it, it’s hard to quit but it’s just cigarettes. If this is THAT big of an issue, please seek help for quitting. Lung cancer is painful for an entire family to go through, I’ve now had three family members perish from it. It’s not worth it.

I speak as a former smoker.

I always made an effort to be conscious of where I smoked. Whenever I was at the parks - I made sure I stayed within the smoking sections and was respectful of trying to not blow any smoke in the direction of anyone's face when I was in public areas.

But I know there's a majority of smokers who don't follow my lead and don't care where they smoke. Smokers are gonna get their fix no matter what.

The full-on ban won't work unless they enforce it. Smoking sections should work but didn't because they didn't enforce it.

I think the medical marijuana angle is an interesting point of discussion, however. How does that get handled?

I just think it’s weird that people who smoke take offense to this ban, instead of self-reflecting “Why may others not want to have smoke around them?” they get outraged saying “alcohol is dangerous to health too” or “I’ll never go back to Disney again!” Smoking is blantantly terrible for you AND those around you. I get it, it’s hard to quit but it’s just cigarettes. If this is THAT big of an issue, please seek help for quitting. Lung cancer is painful for an entire family to go through, I’ve now had three family members perish from it. It’s not worth it.

In my opinion, its the inclusion of ecigs and vapes which people are using to get off tobacco. Secondly, you have to remember Disney and Uni are INTERNATIONAL destinations. Internationally smoking is still heavily prevalent in a lot of the world and very common place. By placing those hardships on foreign guests, you are just cutting your marketshare especially since those guests are the ones who are doing the multiple day vacations. Lastly, for people who have medical needs, a theme park not allowing them easy access to take care of their habits through medical marijuana (not everyone enjoys the effects of edibles nor the hit when he does come), i can see this also being a detractor from long trips or even going to the parks.

I think it needs to be a gradual thing. If people who have spent $10,000+ on a vacation and are now suddenly be told that they won’t be allowed to smoke in the designated areas that they have been using for a long time like a good guest or smoke at a major inconvenience, I think they have a right to be pissed.

Addition is a tricky and difficult situation for anybody to understand who doesn’t experience it.

In a perfect world, smoking wouldn’t exist and Walt might have lived a lot longer than he did but this is the world we live in.

I think this is going to backfire and a new heavily enforced smoking area will return.

Yeah the only way this works is if they actually kick people out who don’t listen. Before they just told them to go to the designated areas. Now it’s banned all over so if you’re not listening they need to boot em. If they just do the same thing of asking once and leaving it will never work.

In my opinion, its the inclusion of ecigs and vapes which people are using to get off tobacco. Secondly, you have to remember Disney and Uni are INTERNATIONAL destinations. Internationally smoking is still heavily prevalent in a lot of the world and very common place. By placing those hardships on foreign guests, you are just cutting your marketshare especially since those guests are the ones who are doing the multiple day vacations. Lastly, for people who have medical needs, a theme park not allowing them easy access to take care of their habits through medical marijuana (not everyone enjoys the effects of edibles nor the hit when he does come), i can see this also being a detractor from long trips or even going to the parks.
Medical Marijuana is a different subject and has a bit more nuance to the matter. Florida law says that you may not smoke or consume medical marijuana in public spaces or drug-free environments, designated by the owners of private properties. Essentially, Disney can ban the smoking of medical marijuana on the premises, according to Florida law.

I mean, you don't have to smoke weed to get high. edibles would be the solution for anyone needing to medicate while at the parks. Though not everyone likes to be high as a kite for 6 hours :p

I speak as a former smoker.

I always made an effort to be conscious of where I smoked. Whenever I was at the parks - I made sure I stayed within the smoking sections and was respectful of trying to not blow any smoke in the direction of anyone's face when I was in public areas.

But I know there's a majority of smokers who don't follow my lead and don't care where they smoke. Smokers are gonna get their fix no matter what.

The full-on ban won't work unless they enforce it. Smoking sections should work but didn't because they didn't enforce it.

I think the medical marijuana angle is an interesting point of discussion, however. How does that get handled?
Most medical marijuana isn’t smoked. If it’s actually being used for medical reasons, that is.

And I agree, no way a full on ban is gonna work. I legit was at UOR yesterday and had someone ask if they knew a place to BUY cigarettes in the park, they were that desperate.

Now, yes. Obviously, the times are a changin.
It will be interesting when it becomes legal recreationally. I’m sure we’ll see an uptick in people smoking it out in the open at the parks then. Happens a decent amount as is, tbh.