1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

WDW Parks Banning Smoking, Stroller Wagons, Loose Ice Beginning May 1st

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Disney' started by Scott W., Mar 28, 2019.

1. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

Vape pens are a part of this ban, I believe. People still vape literally everywhere though.

Frogki, HPFred, SeventyOne and 2 others like this.
  2. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

The smell of weed around the Disneyland Hotel is already a thing.

SeventyOne, Fallow and SukaVayne73 like this.
  3. SukaVayne73

SukaVayne73 Rookie

In my case to have use medical marijuana besides the edibles, I have patches for my Fibromyalgia and chronic pain left over from having kidney cancer. Even as a smoker I won't smoke at the parks especially WDW. Now, as for my job they let me use the medical MJ vape as needed. But even then because of my job I just do the patches, and edibles.

HPFred and Skold like this.
  4. GadgetGuru

GadgetGuru Premium Member

Maybe I'm just not very observant, but I've never seen issues with people smoking outside of the smoking areas in the parks. I was just at Disneyland last November and I can't remember seeing anybody smoke.

I personally think getting rid of the smoking areas is a great idea. The smoking areas, by design, are in some really nice, secluded areas of the parks and it would be nice to use them to get a reprieve from the crowds.

SkiBum likes this.
  5. RevFreako

RevFreako Premium Member

So if they ban smoking, people will smoke everywhere? Simple solution: start ejecting people who do this. Anyone who thinks they're going to be able to complain about this will deserve the public mockery they get, and Disney won't get any bad press they can't handle. Eventually, the smokers and vapers will catch on.

HPFred and SeventyOne like this.
  6. devinp267

devinp267 Premium Member

I personally think with all the money smokers pour into these parks, they need to just pour some of that money back into designing better hidden smoking areas if the smoke itself is the problem.

UniversalRBLX likes this.
  7. fryoj

fryoj Premium Member

Something I've read is that the reason it's happening is that at DL they are just flat out of room and have plans for anywhere there is a smoking area. Once it was decided to do it there, it makes sense to do it everywhere.

8. deathcab4cutie

deathcab4cutie Member

smoking areas will become stroller parking

SeventyOne likes this.
  9. Bulldog45

Bulldog45 Rookie

What happens when security finds a pack of cigarettes, vape pen or an e cigarette when they are checking bags before people go into the park? Can they make people throw them away? Because if they get into the park they will 1000000% use them. It's just human nature.

10. OrlLover

OrlLover Rookie

I think people are making a bigger deal out of this for odd reasons. I understand not everybody follows the rules at Disney in regards to smoking but WDW is not the only place with banned smoking.

HPFred likes this.
  11. bob albert

bob albert Veteran Member

This seems like it's solving a problem that doesn't really exist. I hardly ever see people complain about smoking in the parks given the areas seem to be pretty out of the way already these days. If anything I see a lot of people complaining about vaping as it is easier to take a puff discreetly abd this prob just encourages the smokers to do that instead.

It all sort of fits in line with Disney's strategy of taking away services and placing the blame on guests for everything. They want people to say it's the guests' problem they smoke, stand in line because they didn't book the after hours party, missed out on fast pass because they didn't book on site, etc.

Even though I don't smoke or approve of smoking the reality is smokers pay for Disney too and I would prefer them to be out of my way in a designated area of the park than vaping everywhere and getting into arguments with cast members. I feel bad for cast members that have to take the heat from angry guests while prices continue to outpace cm salaries.

I would also wonder if employee smoking areas are cut too is this is a ploy to make it effectively impossible to work for Disney as a smoker in an effort to cut potential healthcare costs or weed people out who smoke.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    natespf and Frogki like this.
  12. Nick

Of course many places ban smoking, but places as large as these theme parks and some people not having re-entry on their tickets? It’s not like there’s any easy way to go out and smoke and then get back in even if someone wanted to. At a restaurant I can understand. Just go outside and come back if you want a puff. This is different.

natespf, Frogki, SeventyOne and 2 others like this.
  13. SukaVayne73

SukaVayne73 Rookie

Like I even said I am a smoker, and since they are banning smoking then if need be I'm fine with it. I will just wear a patch or the gum. However, when I go to a Disney park I dont' smoke at all until we leave. I do the same at Universal. So, I can imagine some of the people that I have seen in the parks lately, grandma isn't gonna be happy in her EVC and chain smoking and yelling at 10 kids to sit down, I feel bad for security.

Nick likes this.
  14. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

What are the options? Tell the person to go back to their car or hotel and drop them off? It’s not going to work.

natespf likes this.
  15. Bulldog45

Bulldog45 Rookie

They are banning smoking at the busiest theme park in the world, it's a little different...

natespf likes this.
  16. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Walt would have wanted smoking. ;):lol:

natespf, Nick and SukaVayne73 like this.
  17. Nick

Back in his day they thought it was just like chewing gum - just a fun thing to do. It’s too bad he died early because of it.

Fallow, Frogki, therock and 3 others like this.
  18. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Definitely. Watch the old movies and people often chain smoke through the entire films. It's like they couldn't talk without a cig in the mouth. Times, they be a changing.

Nick, SukaVayne73 and RevFreako like this.
  19. SukaVayne73

SukaVayne73 Rookie

Yeah they did my favorite chain smoking old movie is MOMMIE DEAREST. Smoking bans are coming more standard, yu can barely smoke anywhere. Some states you can't smoke in your car with a kid in it, I know they do that in Maryland, So, I just hope it comes to other parks too. 2c21578b74e6c4678807d8c6afacb9e6.jpg

Mad Dog likes this.
  20. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

That was a legitimate reason why they smoked. Directors felt like the actors needed something to do while talking.

SukaVayne73 likes this.