What does Jurassic Park need? | Page 25 | Inside Universal Forums

What does Jurassic Park need?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You know, the idea of an amber mine attraction is even less far-fetched when one considers the talk going on regarding JP IV.

From Joe Johnston:
“…The most important thing I can tell you is that ['Jurassic Park 4'] starts a new trilogy that will go off in a different direction — a completely different direction that is very exciting, and different from anything we’ve seen. It starts with the history of the first trilogy, but it spins it off in a completely different direction. That’s all I can tell you.”
http://screenrant.com/steven-spielberg-jurassic-park-4-sandy-147020/

'History' implies a time before the creation of the Dinos. One could surmise some amber hunting with that. Too, one could surmise that Spielberg might offer a slight hint or suggestion to UC that amber would become a timely new attraction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Felipe
^ I wouldn't mind seeing them delve into more of the history of JP...as long as they have the magic of the first movie I'm cool with it...

p.s. I wouldn't mind seeing a Mystery Mine type ride come to Universal...even a coaster like BTM would be good..

I see this planned ride as a Rockit situation..tie us over until the main course (Potter) arives

Last edited:
^ I wouldn't mind seeing them delve into more of the history of JP...as long as they have the magic of the first movie I'm cool with it...

p.s. I wouldn't mind seeing a Mystery Mine type ride come to Universal...even a coaster like BTM would be good..

I see this planned ride as a Rockit situation..tie us over until the main course (Potter) arives

Let us hope it is nothing like rocket lol

I wouldn't mind seeing a Mystery Mine type ride come to Universal

A Eurofighter would be perfect for IOA actually. Thrilling, can be as compact or spread out as necessary, doesn't need excessive height and can have indoor dark ride portions. Sounds good to me!

A Eurofighter would be perfect for IOA actually. Thrilling, can be as compact or spread out as necessary, doesn't need excessive height and can have indoor dark ride portions. Sounds good to me!

Euro-Fighter's are great coasters, super fun, and all. The issue is Islands of Adventure ranks in top 10 for attendance for theme parks in the U.S. Currently there are 4 Euro-Fighter's in the United States, and one being built. Out of the 4 built two are at lower traffic parks (Canobie Lake Park and Nickelodeon Universe), the other two parks have higher attendance but not drastic enough attendance to be an operation nightmare (Six Flags Over Georgia and Dollywood).

Euro-Fighter's range anywhere from 750-1000 riders an hour. All the higher profile Euro-Fighter's like Mystery Mine and SAW get 1,000 riders an hour. By comparison The Incredible Hulk gets 1900 riders an hour. Almost double, Mystery Mine. Even RockIt at full operating capacity hits 1800. I don't see Islands of Adventure being able to handle a 1,000 rider per hour attraction, especially from something that will be marketed as an E-ticket. I don't see them making the same mistake they made with P-Flyers.

And Euro-Fighters still have a pretty high height restriction.. which, once again, would defeat the purpose of this "family-friendly" ride.

Agreed. Not all attractions need to have a flushed out story. As long as there is a theme, and there is some semblance of a story; I'm game.

But a simple amber mine coaster doesn't really have a semblance of a story...UNLESS we are picked as volunteer miners to mine out some new amber for the park.

"Story": The most overrated aspect of theme park attractions

Seriously. Who cares what kind of story there is if there are compelling things to look at? Big Thunder is a runaway train through a flooded out mine. Not all that terrific of a story. But it's got cool things to look at. The Dwarfs mine train is just a ride through a diamond mine. I take it you say no thank you to that, right?

Big Thunder doesn't have a story around it. The area itself, Jurassic Park, has a story to it and its rides need to be themed towards that story. Not just some runaway mine train in an amber mine. Plus, wasn't all the amber collected offsite of Isla Nublar (or whatever the island the JP section is themed to)?

Also, I thought the Dwarves mine train coaster did have multiple scenes throughout it that told the Snow White story?

But a simple amber mine coaster doesn't really have a semblance of a story...UNLESS we are picked as volunteer miners to mine out some new amber for the park.

Big Thunder doesn't have a story around it. The area itself, Jurassic Park, has a story to it and its rides need to be themed towards that story. Not just some runaway mine train in an amber mine. Plus, wasn't all the amber collected offsite of Isla Nublar (or whatever the island the JP section is themed to)?

As I said a page back, if there is a fourth film, then it might have a bit of an amber storyline.

In the movie, the amber mines were set in the Dominican Republic (i think) yet in the book, the amber came from colder northern climates because the DNA was better preserved.

Most of the stories for Disney and Uni are there to serve the designers. Much like a storyboard for a film, it creates a more consistent final product.

There already is an amber mine in Camp Jurassic. So adding the coaster isn't a stretch.

And no, the Snow White story is not going to be told in the Mine Train

--- Update ---

Or it's just "take an exhilarating ride through our beautiful amber mines". That's all that's needed

Does Hulk seriously hit 1900 PPH? I find that hard to believe, even for B&M (not getting at you Jake, genuine question). But as for the story or no story debate, I personally feel for the type of attraction a loose context is enough to carry the ride - for example with Hulk, Banner is trying to reverse the experiment and it goes wrong. That holds up perfectly well without the ride itself progressing through a story.

How many trains does the hulk actually have? Is it 5 with 1 always down for annuals or 4 with 1 always down?

Does Hulk seriously hit 1900 PPH? I find that hard to believe, even for B&M (not getting at you Jake, genuine question).

If they are able to launch a train every 60 seconds then it is entirely possible. 32 ppl X 60 minutes = 1920 ppl. They only need a train to clear the break run to launch another train, and the break run is hit and cleared 48 sec into the ride.

Last edited:
If they are able to launch a train every 60 seconds then it is entirely possible. 32 ppl X 60 minutes = 1920 ppl. They only need a train to clear the break run to launch another train, and the break run is hit 45-60 sec into the ride.

Does Hulk seriously hit 1900 PPH? I find that hard to believe, even for B&M (not getting at you Jake, genuine question). But as for the story or no story debate, I personally feel for the type of attraction a loose context is enough to carry the ride - for example with Hulk, Banner is trying to reverse the experiment and it goes wrong. That holds up perfectly well without the ride itself progressing through a story.

Exactly what Teebin said. Granted that's at maximum capacity. There are many days where they aren't launching a train a minute.

There already is an amber mine in Camp Jurassic. So adding the coaster isn't a stretch.

And no, the Snow White story is not going to be told in the Mine Train

--- Update ---

Or it's just "take an exhilarating ride through our beautiful amber mines". That's all that's needed

The amber mine in Camp Jurassic is a stretch on its own. Realistically, that's all that's needed, however, we're supposed to expect an in-depth story for each ride that's built on property.

It's sad that the story of Snow White won't be told on the new attraction, however, the two attractions cannot really relate because there is a scene in Snow White with mine carts going through the jewel mines, and there is no such amber mine cart scene in any of the 3 JP movies. I'm interested to see how a possible 4th could make it happen, though.

Exactly what Teebin said. Granted that's at maximum capacity. There are many days where they aren't launching a train a minute.

Ah I see, thanks for that. It's just most B&Ms average around 13-1600 other places, I guess Uni have pretty good op teams and the ride is very conveniently blocked to be able to dispatch trains that frequently - the difference in first block time must be due to the launch and not having to wait for the lift.