What does USF need the most before Epic Universe opens? | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

What does USF need the most before Epic Universe opens?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, I can wait on the USF stuff since Epic will be the big payoff. I still recall that many on this site, even insiders, a while back , doubted a new park would open before 2030. So 2023 is a really nice bonus....Plus, with all the difficulties Universal & Disney has been having opening new rides with new tech, I'm glad Japan will be the experiment with Nintendo. The bugs, if they happen, will be fixed by the time Epic opens......We'll just have to deal with the maybe bugs on the other new, first time, attractions. :lol:

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Part of me thinks having UOR get SNW first in the US would’ve super profitable considering all the hotel bookings they can benefit off of that USH can’t. Obviously in this hypothetical they have Pokemon plans ready to go for EU, but having SNW open here first would’ve brought a ton of profit for them prior to EU opening. Imagine opening SNW, in the same park that has Diagon Alley. You can probably get some weeks worth vacation $$$ in the 2 years before EU with that and Hagrid’s still being a new addition.

And THEN, they open a 3rd park, really enforcing guests get their week long stay at Universal. Of course this is the dream Lol
Well, and also, having a whole other park would bring up the overall capacity of what the resorts can hold comfortably

Studios and IOA are getting very close to being uncomfortable

Well, and also, having a whole other park would bring up the overall capacity of what the resorts can hold comfortably

Studios and IOA are getting very close to being uncomfortable
Seems like even the slow days there's lot's of people in the streets & pathways now, though thankfully ride lines aren't long those slower times. Stand by lines are way better than WDW. And, thanks for all those single rider lines, of which there are many. They're a godsend if you don't have Express on a medium or busy crowd day.

Seems like even the slow days there's lot's of people in the streets & pathways now, though thankfully ride lines aren't long those slower times. Stand by lines are way better than WDW. And, thanks for all those single rider lines, of which there are many. They're a godsend if you don't have Express on a medium or busy crowd day.
I also find most of Universal's rides have strong capacity, so the crowds can be spread out quite evenly.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I'm prepared to die on the hill of believing that putting Nintendo in Universal Studios Florida is what should have happened, and would have instantly rectified many of my "issues" with the park in one -- relatively efficient -- move.

The park would still have its weak spots, but at least the lineup of attractions would have been significantly improved/bolstered from a variety standpoint.

But as of now, we're likely at least a half-decade (and that's probably an optimistic timeline) away from the result that Nintendo would have accomplished next year.

I'm prepared to die on the hill of believing that putting Nintendo in Universal Studios Florida is what should have happened, and would have instantly rectified many of my "issues" with the park in one -- relatively efficient -- move.

The park would still have its weak spots, but at least the lineup of attractions would have been significantly improved/bolstered from a variety standpoint.

But as of now, we're likely at least a half-decade (and that's probably an optimistic timeline) away from the result that Nintendo would have accomplished next year.
While I don't know all the inner workings behind the decision that was made, I'm kinda with you. The big key is they likely didn't have something that could replace SNW in Epic Universe ready yet.

While I don't know all the inner workings behind the decision that was made, I'm kinda with you. The big key is they likely didn't have something that could replace SNW in Epic Universe ready yet.

Not being privy to internal conversations, I don't doubt that played a factor.

But at the same time, Pokemon or Zelda could have been a big, exciting anchor land to join the Epic Universe lineup. Or they could have pushed even harder for the LORD OF THE RINGS rights. Or a Fantasyland-style Dreamworks area for the IPs not strong enough to warrant full lands (like HTTYD does).

I think they would have had plenty of options for Epic Universe.

Yeah, Nintendo and Potter will get the tourists to come for a vacation. Monsters, Dragons & Celestial will entertain them and keep them coming back. But Nintendo & Potter are the keys.

Reactions: Happytycho
Not being privy to internal conversations, I don't doubt that played a factor.

But at the same time, Pokemon or Zelda could have been a big, exciting anchor land to join the Epic Universe lineup. Or they could have pushed even harder for the LORD OF THE RINGS rights. Or a Fantasyland-style Dreamworks area for the IPs not strong enough to warrant full lands (like HTTYD does).

I think they would have had plenty of options for Epic Universe.

Yeah, Nintendo and Potter will get the tourists to come for a vacation. Monsters, Dragons & Celestial will entertain them and keep them coming back. But Nintendo & Potter are the keys.

Having Pokemon (kinda its own entity), Nintendo, and Potter be your draws come 2023 I think would've been gigantic move for Universal. Granted we'll get all that someday but those profits could've begun next year. Also Orlando would be guarenteed the first DK area in the world which I still think is an added draw.

Having Pokemon (kinda its own entity), Nintendo, and Potter be your draws come 2023 I think would've been gigantic move for Universal. Granted we'll get all that someday but those profits could've begun next year. Also Orlando would be guarenteed the first DK area in the world which I still think is an added draw.
Not sure if Pokemon rights were lined up back when Nintendo construction was going to start in Kidzone. So that may have complicated the decisions back then. We'll probably never know though.

Not sure if Pokemon rights were lined up back when Nintendo construction was going to start in Kidzone. So that may have complicated the decisions back then. We'll probably never know though.
I feel this is the most likely case. Cause when I say “replace SNW in EU with something”, that’s gotta he like a theme park anchoring type land, cause that’s what you’re relacing. Pokemon is the only thing I can think of that would do that for whats slated to be in that park.

Reactions: Mad Dog
We’re staying At Cabana Bay for 16 nights in May, and consider spending a full day at Universal Studios a waste, so we’re slotting in an hour or 2 here and there on days where we’re visiting other parks which close a little earlier, like Seaworld and Aquatica.

For reference we’ll proabably do 2 days at Seaworld, 2 at each Disney theme park (maybe 1 and a half for Epcot in its current state), 2 at Islands, 1 at Busch, and then waterparks.

It’s my current least favourite park in Florida because of the sameness of experiences. It concerns me there’s so much discussion around the Mummy because that along with Gringotts are the main reasons we visit at all.

Reactions: youhow2
Lets not confuse personal taste with customer satisfaction number.
Universal Studios Orlando scores very well. Above that it's Universal's festival park with Mardi Gras and Halloween Horror Night bringing in a ton of money yearly.
Can it improve, sure.
Will it improve, sure.
The Jason Bourne Stunt Spectacular will open soon.
If Pokémon comes to USF "sooner than we think" (as is mentioned by insiders) this park is more rounded than most parks in Orlando.

Last edited:
I guess I just don't understand why certain rides have to be replaced every 20 years. I get that space is limited, but Disneyland has managed to keep even much older attractions around, so why can't Universal do the same? I don't see anyone expecting a replacement for Big Thunder Mountain, and it's been open for 40 years now. If parts are still available for it, Mummy should have parts available as well. Are people going to be calling for Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley to be replaced next decade also?

There are some attractions at USF that need to go imo (Shrek, Minions, FFL), but it's more because of quality and has nothing to do with the age.

I guess I just don't understand why certain rides have to be replaced every 20 years. I get that space is limited, but Disneyland has managed to keep even much older attractions around, so why can't Universal do the same? I don't see anyone expecting a replacement for Big Thunder Mountain, and it's been open for 40 years now. If parts are still available for it, Mummy should have parts available as well. Are people going to be calling for Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley to be replaced next decade also?

There are some attractions at USF that need to go imo (Shrek, Minions, FFL), but it's more because of quality and has nothing to do with the age.
Even Disneyland had far more expansion land than USF does. And even then it’s not easy for them. There was a drought of 25 years between major additions to the park. The TL redo in Disneyland is rumored to be them getting rid of subs and a utopia for Tron. Because there’s no expansion space.

I don't really see a major attraction happening before EU.

I think management tends to see USF and IOA as complimentary experiences rather than separate parks (and building an attraction exclusive to park to park guests seems to suggest that). That's probably where a lot of the imbalance stems from (and differences in available land and park layout).

There's a lot to be done though.

New Entrance & Shrek: Bring SLoP over to replace Shrek and retheme minions to Vilian Con (maybe with a new movie or at least try to explain the transition with new scenes). I think the villain con idea is ideal because you could go with a theme that would look more coherent with the SLoP theming. Something with lots of glass that looks like a convention center. Enclosing the queue should be a priority. Changing the queue layout with a new pre show would be nice. Maybe retheme HRR to a limo or taxi and enclose the queue or just get rid of it. I'm thinking the whole area just becomes New York.

Alternatively, move all the illumination stuff to kidzone, and just make this a proper main street.

Another idea would be to completely reorient the entrance and make the shopping and Bourne show area main street and put some small weenie at the end of the street in front of the lake. You could probably turn the entrance area into the Illumination area without needing to worry about clashing themes as much.

KZ: If it ends up being Pokemon, cool. Whatever is it is though, I really hope it'll include a water ride. Update ET and give it a new queue that's a little less cheesy (replace the pre forest stuff I mean) and removed from whatever goes into KZ.

FFL: Get rid of it and put some MoM related if there's enough space.

Mummy & MiB: Update them. Both great attractions and always chasing a more relevant property is unnecessary. I can't imagine guest satisfaction for either of those rides is low.

F&F: Hopefully it won't last more than 10 yeas.

A skip the line pass as an upcharge item is my favorite model to be honest

Reactions: Skold
A skip the line pass as an upcharge item is my favorite model to be honest

The reason this works so well (and it definitely does) is because it is a barrier to entry. FP+ has such a negative affect on standby waits because it is thrown in the face of every WDW guest, again and again. E-mail after e-mail. Even mailers! Don't forget to book your Fast Pass Plus! This results in guests who may not even care that much, or know what they are doing, to book them. Why do rides like Navi River Journey even have people using FP+ on them? (And I, ahem, really like that ride). They are nagged over and over to do so.

This is also why legacy FP worked so well. The barrier to entry was the running around the park and getting the tickets, but that still dissuaded enough people from using it. I'm convinced that a "front of the line" pass only works if a low percentage of guests actually use it (as opposed to 75% or so of all WDW lines going to FP+).

"Paid for" works for everyone in this instance.

/soapbox :grin:

Reactions: SkiBum and tielo
The reason this works so well (and it definitely does) is because it is a barrier to entry. FP+ has such a negative affect on standby waits because it is thrown in the face of every WDW guest, again and again. E-mail after e-mail. Even mailers! Don't forget to book your Fast Pass Plus! This results in guests who may not even care that much, or know what they are doing, to book them. Why do rides like Navi River Journey even have people using FP+ on them? (And I, ahem, really like that ride). They are nagged over and over to do so.

This is also why legacy FP worked so well. The barrier to entry was the running around the park and getting the tickets, but that still dissuaded enough people from using it. I'm convinced that a "front of the line" pass only works if a low percentage of guests actually use it (as opposed to 75% or so of all WDW lines going to FP+).

"Paid for" works for everyone in this instance.

/soapbox :grin:
Talk on Magic is that it's going to get even more complicated within a year, with a combination of assigned, complimentary and 'pay' fastpasses.

• Angry
Reactions: tankart150