What does USF need the most before Epic Universe opens? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

What does USF need the most before Epic Universe opens?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Well, yea. Universal isn't approaching it from a fan standpoint... Either way, both rides need love. They aren't going to touch KidZone til post-EU most likely and everything at USF has been touched in the past 10 years save for ET (Which should also fall into the redo lane), leaving MIB and Mummy as the sole attractions yet to feel Uni's sting under the Comcast Era. Replacing Jaws wasn't a pressing need and didn't need to go, but it did for the better of the park. A new E-ticket or new version of an existing ride would be just enough to keep some eyes on USF while EU is the crown jewel for the first few years of its existence.
I'm curious what Comcast thinks of things like MIB and Mummy

Mummy is a Universal franchise, but older

MIB is Columbia, but beloved and popular

Also, FFL is super back burner I feel, it really is so out of the way....I'm guessing it exists solely as a capacity reducer at the moment

Also, FFL is super back burner I feel, it really is so out of the way....I'm guessing it exists solely as a capacity reducer at the moment

Heh. I forgot about FFL.....

• Haha
Reactions: SeventyOne
I would think the ride system in MiB is easier/cheaper to maintain than Mummy's. If there is a deciding factor on aging attractions, it's often costs. Now licensing fees may contribute to that as well, so the number crunchers are usually the people who really make the case for an attraction staying or going.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Maybe I’m this bad at creative things, but I can’t think of anything outside of Ghostbusters, or Fantasitc Beasts right now that would replace Mummy. Not to say they wouldn’t replace it, I just have no idea what this would be. Unless they truly shut down Supercharge and build a Fast and Furious coaster here set in NYC. That’d be dope.

Then ugh fine with the Knight Bus taking over the party bus. Put an AA in the car with us at least and hopefully add some sets to make it more a dark ride like Kong?

You think about the rides that are considered classics that have been axed and it leads you to the conclusion that Universal aren't nostalgic but Disaster was a chore to go through, BTTF needed to go because the time travel story didn't make sense after 2015 and Jaws was an operations nightmare from day 1.

MIB although considered a legacy ride platform, should be an easy upgrade if they wanted to and Mummy is still supported. But both of these are huge fan favourites.

The other difference between MIB and Mummy and the other favourites that got demolished is that they exist in a resort that now has almost double the attendance since a decade ago.

For those stating the entrance plaza, can you be more specific. Are you referring to the entrance gates itself? As in they are too small for the crowds. Are you referring to the area between the gates and Hello Kitty/Shrek? As in it isn’t cohesive for a grand entrance into the park. Are you referring to the arches themselves? Are you referring to the “front lot” area with ticketing and offices?

I’m drafting a concept for a revamp, and I’m trying to get an idea of what everyone thinks the current problems are.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
For those stating the entrance plaza, can you be more specific. Are you referring to the entrance gates itself? As in they are too small for the crowds. Are you referring to the area between the gates and Hello Kitty/Shrek? As in it isn’t cohesive for a grand entrance into the park. Are you referring to the arches themselves? Are you referring to the “front lot” area with ticketing and offices?

I’m drafting a concept for a revamp, and I’m trying to get an idea of what everyone thinks the current problems are.

Personally, I think the arches and the plaza in front of them is fine, and that the biggest problem is with the gates/turnstyles and the views and guest flow through that area. I think that both the ticketing/office area and the Universal store area inside the gates would benefit significantly from being redone, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if one stayed in it's current state. Expanding and improving the gates is obviously going to infringe on at least one of those other areas, so it just becomes a question of how big a project you want.

And if you go really big, you almost start getting into questions about what the future holds for the shrek and minions area, and how you connect with that.

Maybe I’m this bad at creative things, but I can’t think of anything outside of Ghostbusters, or Fantasitc Beasts right now that would replace Mummy.

The oft-requested "Universal Great Movie Ride" would be an acceptable replacement for Revenge of the Mummy. For me. I'd also be fine with something relating to Ghostbusters (provided it's connected to the original film).

Beyond that? I can't think of a property that Universal would plausibly build a theme park ride out of (and that could kinda/sorta fit into New York) that I'd feel was worth losing Mummy for.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Isn'tI
I would think the ride system in MiB is easier/cheaper to maintain than Mummy's. If there is a deciding factor on aging attractions, it's often costs. Now licensing fees may contribute to that as well, so the number crunchers are usually the people who really make the case for an attraction staying or going.
Isn't MIBs system no longer supported by the manufacturer or something?

Reactions: Disneyhead
You think about the rides that are considered classics that have been axed and it leads you to the conclusion that Universal aren't nostalgic but Disaster was a chore to go through, BTTF needed to go because the time travel story didn't make sense after 2015 and Jaws was an operations nightmare from day 1.

MIB although considered a legacy ride platform, should be an easy upgrade if they wanted to and Mummy is still supported. But both of these are huge fan favourites.

The other difference between MIB and Mummy and the other favourites that got demolished is that they exist in a resort that now has almost double the attendance since a decade ago.
Mummy has plenty of life, and MIB is still fantastic...I hope Universal feels that way

Personally, I would nix Shrek first, as it would help to break up the screens around the area

As mentioned a few posts above, I think the arches and everything on the Citywalk side of them are great. Once you walk though them, it starts to get a bit cramped with the ticket windows on the sides, and the masses of people trying to squeeze through that bottleneck (at peak times). Nothing major, but if they found a way to widen that up a bit I wouldn't complain. I like the decision to remove turnstiles, which I imagine was done to speed up the flow of things.

My big "gripe" or thing that I would like to see change is the main sight line when you enter the park. It lacks that punch that Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios when you look down the main pathway (Epcot is working on that at the moment, DAK/IOA/VB all have the approach of making guests walk through a little bit of a environment to reach the big reveal).

Right now USF's sightline is clunky. It's a bunch of box shaped buildings on both sides with minimal facades, and those that do exist (a la Despicable Me) look out of place because of it. I get the idea that they are going for with the fake library and New York skyline down at the end to make you feel like its a studio, but I don't think it quite hits the mark. Very Streets of America-esque where they use the idea of a studio environment to save some money in place of constructing a real iconic end piece.

I don't know what that improved sight line would look like, but I know they are capable of creating one. Especially given how much social media and capturing your vacation has become, I think this is a huge opportunity to get some extra publicity. If I recall correctly, Cinderella's Castle is one of (if not the) most Instagrammed locations in the world. That should be a huge signal to Universal to come up with something for USF. I know they are capable of grand reveals and sight lines, because they knocked it out of the park with Volcano Bay (my personal favorite of any park).

Reactions: WAJAS
Even not thinking from the fan perspective and thinking from Universal's perspective, assuming Mummy isn't a health risk, how they don't tackle Shrek 4-D first is mind boggling to me. The park lacks diversity in attractions big time, at the end of your day everything feels quite repetitive. I can't imagine it makes for a terrific guests experience also when you have Diagon in the same park.

Last edited:
Mummy has plenty of life, and MIB is still fantastic...I hope Universal feels that way

Personally, I would nix Shrek first, as it would help to break up the screens around the area

Anything that is not a screen will be more than welcome.

Despicable Me, Transformers, Gringotts, Fallon, F&F and Bourne sounds like it will also heavily utilise screens.

We're looking at a decade of screen heavy attractions while also removing 3 practical rides and a stage show.

SLOP would be great, Pokemon would be even better. The former is much more likely though.

I still maintain my belief that Super Nintendo World should have gone into Kidzone, as that, Bourne, and Cinematic Celebration would have allowed the park to chill for the next few years without any giant additions. Now we only have the latter two, which are great, but not the headline material the park needs.

I'd argue that Bourne will be the best thing for USF, need wise. A big, impressive, people eating show is more important for that park than anything.

After that, something needs to be done from FFL to Kidzone. It's an area of the park I rarely step foot in any more unless I'm going to do MIB or eat at FFB.

Even not thinking from the fan perspective and thinking from Universal's perspective, assuming Mummy is a health risk, how they don't tackle Shrek 4-D first is mind boggling to me. The park lacks diversity in attractions big time, at the end of your day everything feels quite repetitive. I can't imagine it makes for a terrific guests experience also when you have Diagon in the same park.
Because, whether people like to hear it around here or not, most guests don't really care about the "screenz" stuff. Shrek is popular with guests. They really like it. They also really like Fallon, Transformers, and Gringotts.

I'd argue that Bourne will be the best thing for USF, need wise. A big, impressive, people eating show is more important for that park than anything.

After that, something needs to be done from FFL to Kidzone. It's an area of the park I rarely step foot in any more unless I'm going to do MIB or eat at FFB.

Because, whether people like to hear it around here or not, most guests don't really care about the "screenz" stuff. Shrek is popular with guests. They really like it. They also really like Fallon, Transformers, and Gringotts.
The problem is the combination of Transformers, Gringotts, Fallon, Minions, F&F, Shrek, all make for too many similar experiences with little variation, and 2 of which (Transformers and F&F) you can get better rides out of those ride systems in the other park! But, maybe I am just thinking like a fan too much. Don't disagree Bourne will be fantastic for this park though. I just can't help think that adding SLOP in for Shrek makes any further "additions" to the park less necessary than they feel right now.