Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What we know, and what we think we know...

didn't know where else to post this?

Could Universal and Disney trade Avatar rights and Universal just out and done with Marvel completely? I honestly think Universal could do an Avatar themed land as good as Disney. Just an opinion though.

I read somewhere about Avatar 4d Rumors

No? That Avatar 4D was just an off rumor huh?

But It's def not fair Disney has Marvel rights.

Gues we'll have to keep our eye out for Marvel Superhero island over the next few years

Sorry 'bout that.

I meant in reply to, "Could Universal and Disney trade Avatar rights and Universal just out and done with Marvel completely?"

A fairly common belief among fans is that Uni will give up or be forced in the near future by Disney to relinquish their usage of Marvel properties. However, due to the contractual agreements, Uni has fair use of Marvel IPs East of the Mississippi River. Universal gets to decide when and if they choose to hand over the Orlando theme park rights to Marvel, and at a pricetag of their choosing. It would be highly unlikely that Disney would pay dearly for the rights considering all of the cash handed over to Uni just for acquiring usage, let alone building a ride/land itself.

In a nutshell, Marvel is pretty comfortable at Islands of Adventure right now and will be for many more years to come.

As for the Avatarland attractions, plans leaked and it looks like a Soarin' over Pandora is a definite as well as a possible boat ride.

Sorry 'bout that.

I meant in reply to, "Could Universal and Disney trade Avatar rights and Universal just out and done with Marvel completely?"

A fairly common belief among fans is that Uni will give up or be forced in the near future by Disney to relinquish their usage of Marvel properties. However, due to the contractual agreements, Uni has fair use of Marvel IPs East of the Mississippi River. Universal gets to decide when and if they choose to hand over the Orlando theme park rights to Marvel, and at a pricetag of their choosing. It would be highly unlikely that Disney would pay dearly for the rights considering all of the cash handed over to Uni just for acquiring usage, let alone building a ride/land itself.

In a nutshell, Marvel is pretty comfortable at Islands of Adventure right now and will be for many more years to come.

As for the Avatarland attractions, plans leaked and it looks like a Soarin' over Pandora is a definite as well as a possible boat ride.
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not sure terms of the agreement between the two, but could IOA re-theme certain rides with different Marvel Characters, or if they decided to add a Marvel Hero and attraction the the line up would they be allowed too?

It would be nice if that space was filled with a Star Trek attraction of some sort to kind of give some cohesiveness to the MIB area. With Springfield and WWHP2 coming MIB is going to stick out like a sore thumb all by itself so a small "land" themed to space exploration would be pretty sweet IMO.

With Springfield and WWHP2 coming MIB is going to stick out like a sore thumb all by itself

It is already is way out of place IMHO. Let's say we have the JBSS as part of the London theme on one side and Springfield on the other MIB is just sitting out there all buy it self. What do you do with it? Available land between/behind is currently: storage lot, two sprung tents, parade building, warehouse and pyro bunkers. I guess some if these could be relocated and a new attraction built.

Just saying.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not sure terms of the agreement between the two, but could IOA re-theme certain rides with different Marvel Characters, or if they decided to add a Marvel Hero and attraction the the line up would they be allowed too?

Any addition of rides or characters would have to be approved by Marvel(Disney)

If any plan exists to try to get Marvel rights back they will turn down any expansion.
That said they might say yes if they could add an expiration date to agreement.

I forget the exact phrasing, but wasn't there a term in the Disney/Marvel contracts saying that they would need to act in "good faith" with how Universal pursues to the Marvel IPs east of the Mississippi? Meaning that Uni could argue in court if it is reasonable to say that Disney failed to their end of the bargain.

I forget the exact phrasing, but wasn't there a term in the Disney/Marvel contracts saying that they would need to act in "good faith" with how Universal pursues to the Marvel IPs east of the Mississippi? Meaning that Uni could argue in court if it is reasonable to say that Disney failed to their end of the bargain.

That's been said before yes. But so has a lot of things. I don't think many people have first hand knowledge about the contract, and it's one of those rumors that's taken on a life of its own on the net.

Putting aside the legal issues--which is dumb, I know, they make this a moot discussion--why would TDO want to build Marvel attractions anywhere near Orlando? Guest confusion would be off the charts. And what in the past 20 years has shown you that TDO can build anything that would look favorable compared to Hulk and Spider-man? Whatever Marvel rides Disney threw together in the next 3 - 5 years would end up looking like the IoA rides' poor country cousins. "Remember that Spider-man ride at Universal? It was so much better than this."

Far easier to build a Cars Land where the value engineering isn't readily apparent unless guests have been to Anaheim.

That's been said before yes. But so has a lot of things. I don't think many people have first hand knowledge about the contract, and it's one of those rumors that's taken on a life of its own on the net.

It's pretty standard for any contract--basically a requirement of good faith dealing. I remember reading it (the contract is out there on the interwebs, Reel Justice probably knows where to find it) and coming away with the impression if IoA wanted a Captain America coaster--based on the comic book look, not the Chris Evans look--and they kept it red, white and blue with some stars and don't show Cap wearing a pink tutu or anything, there wasn't much if anything Disney could do to stop them. Same goes for any X-Men.

This goes back to the Avengers monorail news breaking, but to me the only major questions in the contract are:

(1) Is Iron Man covered? He was a B-lister when the thing was signed, so he doesn't appear by name, but presumably is grouped in with "The Avengers" (IIRC, the contract says "Capt. America and the Avengers" ... which is pretty much every Marvel hero ever). Is that catchall and a 2-D cutout of old Shellhead enough to give IoA exclusive rights?

(2) What is a "theme park"? Remember, this is why the Avengers monorail can't go to EPCOT--it would enter the park. But now Universal has set precedent, somewhat, that the TTC and hotels are not "theme parks" for whatever that's worth. The $20 million question for me would be whether or not DisneyQuest is covered under the contract.

[video=youtube_share;7xcz57dEgF0]http://youtu.be/7xcz57dEgF0[/video]

When I imagine a Disney marvel ride I think of this instantly. And Disney is having trouble building things they actually announce right now. I don't see any big additions other than the ones being discussed coming any time soon.

[video=youtube_share;7xcz57dEgF0]http://youtu.be/7xcz57dEgF0[/video]

When I imagine a Disney marvel ride I think of this instantly. And Disney is having trouble building things they actually announce right now. I don't see any big additions other than the ones being discussed coming any time soon.

I've been on that ride, believe it or not. It's (unbelievably) even worse than what that video would imply.