Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What we know, and what we think we know...

Where is this crapfest?

A (now defunct, I understand) facility called "Marvel Adventure City" on Falls Avenue. It also included an Incredible Hulk Encounter walk-through (similar production values & reliance on terrible CGI, was billed as like a haunted maze), a Daredevil "stunt course" (i.e. play area with cutouts), a Marvel Pals Clubhouse (too weird for words), and an X-Men Combat Cars (admittedly neat, if hokey). There was also many, many broken/overpriced arcade games. How they managed to secure the IP and get Marvel to sign off on it was beyond me.

I think it's in Niagra.

Yup!

Haha that looks awful...and it seems like the same guy was voicing every character including SpiderMan

The production values were absolutely heinous, and the video really doesn't give you a good idea of how cramped and jaw-droppingly ugly the entire experience is. It's seriously an absolute mess with not a single effect being remotely convincing or even cleverly stylized. And the "guns" you're using are literal Spider-Man hands in his trademark "webbing" pose. That... doesn't even make sense.

According to the description "A video of the Amazing Spiderman 3-D Ride built by Darkrider/Halloween Productions located in Niagara Falls, Canada".

If billing it differently will secure Marvel and they think it can pull a better crowd, than Disney will do it. Albeit, it won't pull that much larger of a crowd.

If billing it differently will secure Marvel and they think it can pull a better crowd, than Disney will do it. Albeit, it won't pull that much larger of a crowd.

I'm surprised Disney has kept DQ running as is for this long. Could you imagine if they could pull off making the whole thing a Marvel related attraction? Pure insanity.

Misc. Thoughts: Universal and Future Rides

I'm just going to create this discussion to get it out there. I love Universal more than most people, anyone who knows me, knows that as well. However, I worry that creative has gotten just a bit too much into the aerial chase and simulation direction.

I love simulators more than most people, but I also love coasters. I know Universal is not supposed to be the coaster park, but I get a little worried when I look at the pattern of the rides. With the exception of RockIt which, despite my love of it, verily was a minor investment, the last chunk of UO rides have been simulations. Transformers, HPFJ, Despicable, Simpsons; HPFJ being the only really stand out one.

By no means does Universal have a problem on their hands, its working out great for them and it stands them apart from Six Flags, but personally I'm a lot happier if we get real thrills in between a few simulated ones.

We have Gringotts coming, true, but none of us are really sure how much of a coaster element it really is. We know its nothing huge like Hulk or RnRC at DHS.

Its just my opinion, but I think Universal needs to diversify after Potter2.0. It's fantastic to do things like the KidZone rehaul and the like, but I can't possibly be the only one who thinks Universal needs another major coaster. Especially since Dragon Challenge no longer duels.

I'd love to see something innovative like X2 at Magic Mountain or Manta. Hell, I'd absolutely love to see them put the Battlestar Galactica coaster or Space Fantasy (minus the eery Japanese theming that makes me uncomfortable).

I do think that Universal should take the space for the parade floats and the like next to MIB and turn it into Sci-Fi city (or because this is the US and NBC is here, SyFy city.:blank:). The space is there, World Expo is no longer even close to being a World Expo, and we need something different that's not Potter or a simulator. The infrastructure could move without affecting the park too bad, HHN would hurt a little bit, but that's recoverable if they use other spaces.

Just my two cents. Let's hear the responses.

First of all, I hardly consider Transformers and Forbidden Journey simulators. They're dark rides with simulator elements, but much more dark ride.

I also think the last thing Universal needs is another big coaster. People don't come to Orlando for big coasters. They just don't. People come to Orlando for technological marvels they can't see anywhere else. With regional parks all over the country covering the coaster game better than Universal ever could, they should focus on making rides that immerse the riders in their worlds. Coasters like Mummy and what Gringotts spring to mind as good fits, not Hulk, Rockit, or Dragons. They need more slow moving dark rides and smaller experiences to round out the parks.

Last edited:
The coasters do fit their needs at the park quiet nicely and I will never complain about them ever adding new ones but I do agree with Skip that they need some more slower dark rides/family rides and rides with lower rider height restrictions to balance things out.

As far as thrilling rides around the resort, you have: Hulk, Dr. Doom, Dudley, Popeye, River Adventure, DC, Mummy, Gringotts, and Rockit. That's a pretty diverese list. I'd even personally argue that Transformers, Spiderman, and FJ all belong on that list as well because they're too intense for a lot of people. Whether or not you see action on a screen, you're still getting thrown around in the dark.

The problem, is that the above list catches most of the great attractions at the resort. What are we left with that most of a family can enjoy? Cat in the Hat? That's good, but could use some work. Plus the cars are a little tight and the spinning is a lot for a dark ride. ET? It's a classic, but we know it's glory days are long gone. MIB? Pretty intense shooter.

My point is there isn't a great attraction that an entire family can and will want to enjoy together. That's what should be next, IMO.

As far as thrilling rides around the resort, you have: Hulk, Dr. Doom, Dudley, Popeye, River Adventure, DC, Mummy, Gringotts, and Rockit. That's a pretty diverese list. I'd even personally argue that Transformers, Spiderman, and FJ all belong on that list as well because they're too intense for a lot of people. Whether or not you see action on a screen, you're still getting thrown around in the dark.

The problem, is that the above list catches most of the great attractions at the resort. What are we left with that most of a family can enjoy? Cat in the Hat? That's good, but could use some work. Plus the cars are a little tight and the spinning is a lot for a dark ride. ET? It's a classic, but we know it's glory days are long gone. MIB? Pretty intense shooter.

My point is there isn't a great attraction that an entire family can and will want to enjoy together. That's what should be next, IMO.

This. Universal can do something amazing with a family ride and they need to look into that after WWOHP 2.

Marvel's pretty secure IMHO. Spider-Man has at least two more movies coming to it in the future and they have the rights to some of the Avenger characters ((Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk)) so if needed I could see possibly a new Avengers ride.

First of all, I hardly consider Transformers and Forbidden Journey simulators. They're dark rides with simulator elements, but much more dark ride.

I also think the last thing Universal needs is another big coaster. People don't come to Orlando for big coasters. They just don't. People come to Orlando for technological marvels they can't see anywhere else. With regional parks all over the country covering the coaster game better than Universal ever could, they should focus on making rides that immerse the riders in their worlds. Coasters like Mummy and what Gringotts spring to mind as good fits, not Hulk, Rockit, or Dragons. They need more slow moving dark rides and smaller experiences to round out the parks.

I think Universal has a lot they can do with coasters. Space Fantasy is a perfect example. Mummy is a fun ride, but its a subpar coaster. There's nothing wrong with Universal doing an intense indoor coaster like Space Fantasy in Orlando. By no means was I implying that Universal should build a super coaster to try and keep up with Six Flags or Cedar Fair. But doing something innovative like HRRR is a good ride. There's only so many times you can do motion simulators without it getting repetitive. Universal does not need to follow the Omnimover pattern. They need something innovative all over again.

Universal needs less screens and more practical effects.

The Kidzone reboot will bring more to the table, but Universal does not need to build XYZ family slow ride. If anything they can pull off another ET but in a modern and more thrilling way.

Universal and Disney may compete in the financial way, but their cultures and demographics are entirely different playing fields. Universal does not need to try and be kid oriented like Disney. They've succeeded now as the teenager and adult park with a few kid elements but they are never going to outrun Disney for kid-demographic rides and they know it. Let Universal build their thrill rides and let Disney build their kid rides. Most of the time, they go to Disney and Universal or they pick one or the other for reasons that won't be changed by Universal adding a family ride.

Well we may be getting a new coaster in the future. Remember the rumor JP Expansion?

Anyway, the last Universal needs to do is to go the Disney way with Onimovers galore. Sorry I'm a hater on Disney, but there needs to be a diversity between all rides. What make Uni so special is that most of the rides have a different ride system and the few who have similar ride systems have a different approach to each. Yeah Universal could add an Onimover for the whole family, but don't add more than one. With two parks, one is enough. If they make a third park, which I understand how bad that would be, then they can add another Onimover, but that's it!

What also make Universal awesome is taking a simple ride, and taking it to the next level. The reason why Disney can't do this, for the most part, is because of the demographic that they cater to.

If Universal is adding new rides that are good I won't complain, but they could use rides with more physical props. I think doing something like adding Space Fantasy is a great idea, but what USF really needs is a ride like RSR. It's a ride families can ride and it has the perfect amount of thrills, just enough for thrill seekers to enjoy and the right amount so that families can ride it.

So with my sources suggesting that EVERY project for the resort has been approved for UO by Comcast, one must wonder what steps will be taken next. Obviously we've talked about a lot of things that the resort needs/is supposed to do. Just to list them off:

MIB/Sci-fi Space
Kidzone revamp
Twister rehaul/replacement
T2 rehaul/replacement
ET ____
Toon Lagoon replacement
Lost Continent revamp/replacement
Jurassic Park revamp
et all.

How do you think that UO will continue past this point? Remember that the trigger can be pulled on anything at anytime (e.g Krustyland) and that UO doesn't want more than one land closed at a time.

So with my sources suggesting that EVERY project for the resort has been approved for UO by Comcast, one must wonder what steps will be taken next. Obviously we've talked about a lot of things that the resort needs/is supposed to do. Just to list them off:

MIB/Sci-fi Space
Kidzone revamp
Twister rehaul/replacement
T2 rehaul/replacement
ET ____
Toon Lagoon replacement
Lost Continent revamp/replacement
Jurassic Park revamp
et all.

How do you think that UO will continue past this point? Remember that the trigger can be pulled on anything at anytime (e.g Krustyland) and that UO doesn't want more than one land closed at a time.

Don't forget the Disaster refurb. I honeslty think that will be their next move right along with JP

Don't forget the Disaster refurb. I honeslty think that will be their next move right along with JP

I don't. I don't really understand where the Disaster thing came from. Disaster is basically a new attraction from 2008. I don't see why it would get anything substantial.

JP is next and I would have to assume it would come with a smaller project in the studios.

Well we may be getting a new coaster in the future. Remember the rumor JP Expansion?

Anyway, the last Universal needs to do is to go the Disney way with Onimovers galore. Sorry I'm a hater on Disney, but there needs to be a diversity between all rides. What make Uni so special is that most of the rides have a different ride system and the few who have similar ride systems have a different approach to each. Yeah Universal could add an Onimover for the whole family, but don't add more than one. With two parks, one is enough. If they make a third park, which I understand how bad that would be, then they can add another Onimover, but that's it!

What also make Universal awesome is taking a simple ride, and taking it to the next level. The reason why Disney can't do this, for the most part, is because of the demographic that they cater to.
I'd be okay with an Omnimover in both parks at UNI. As long as the ride and anamatronics make for a different experience as a whole.