Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What we know, and what we think we know...

I don't. I don't really understand where the Disaster thing came from. Disaster is basically a new attraction from 2008. I don't see why it would get anything substantial.

JP is next and I would have to assume it would come with a smaller project in the studios.

I don't really see the hate for the attraction comes from... It's a decent ride.

Right, but it's something I don't expect is any more than a refurb. It's just too new for anything substantial, especially with old attractions in need of replacement

I think that's what they're going for. From what I heard, it would just be a mechanical refurb as it's rumored they're having issues with that. I'm with you, I really don't see the need to sink too much into it.

What I think USF could use is a DCA type entrance remodel. Something about the park entry way, not the arch, but once inside the park just screams improvement. IOA has so much character and life to the Port of Entry, and I just feel like USF's is so drab. I would love a retheme of that initial area.

I'm inclined to think they'll pull the trigger on Kidzone and JP very shortly after the initial Potter part 2 rush.

I think they could do the majority of KidZone without affecting a large part of the park operations. The only really "popular" attraction in KidZone is ET, and theoretically that can be left open while they wall off the rest of the land for a redo. With Potter, Transformers, and Simpsons open I don't think people will miss Barney, Curious George, Fievel, and the Woody coaster

I think they could do the majority of KidZone without affecting a large part of the park operations. The only really "popular" attraction in KidZone is ET, and theoretically that can be left open while they wall off the rest of the land for a redo. With Potter, Transformers, and Simpsons open I don't think people will miss Barney, Curious George, Fievel, and the Woody coaster

I know I won't. If wasn't for the HHNs re-route I wouldn't even know what was back there.

What I think USF could use is a DCA type entrance remodel. Something about the park entry way, not the arch, but once inside the park just screams improvement. IOA has so much character and life to the Port of Entry, and I just feel like USF's is so drab. I would love a retheme of that initial area.

Agreed. I don't see it happening for a while, though. With all the crowds that will be coming through the Studios, they can't completely redo the entrance.

Yes! I actually would like to see the entrance redone before Kidszone or any other projects. Also about Disaster, there is going to be a large scale refurb for the RV and Station at some point to increase efficiency and hourly capacity. I'm expecting this to happen either this fall or next Spring since Transformers and Springfield easily offset the loss of a major attraction in the Studios. As for the replacement or layover idea I brought up, the reason I did is because due to original estimated closure time as well as cost to fix the issues. The idea of a rebranding or a layover at Disaster comes up. It's like this with many projects and not just theme parks.

Think of it like this, and mind you I'm not sharing actual monetary figures. Engineers determine in order to update, add, and fix effects, update ride programming and computer systems, replace and fix the station and RV it's going to cost 17 million dollars. (Mind you Disney spent a cool 40 Million on the Mansions refurb about 5 years ago) So then creative, marketing, and upper management might look at the option of replacing it or doing a layover. They may determine that they can do a layover for 34 million dollars. Then will start crunching numbers and determine what's the better investment. Can we save 20 million dollars and keep this attraction in top condition for another 5-6 years and keep our guests coming back and enjoying it. Or is it time to fork over the money now and give guests a new reason to visit? It all depends on what they think is the best financial decision for the resorts future. I know a few of you know things like this but some may not see the business perspective of such moves.

If I could put money towards some projects, I would focus on these areas. With Transformers, Potter, and Springfield, I feel like Universal did what they needed to do and bring more general attractions to the parks. Something in my opinion they really needed to do.

But I think they really need to focus on these 3 areas. The entrance needs something grand, because it is just lacking. I also feel like the problem with this park currently is you have to walk through pretty boring areas to get to the good stuff, which of course is in the back. Were T2 is, I feel like that area needs some improvement. Its become more of a place you just walk through I feel like rather than actually staying. And then lastly...Twister. I just think this action is so dated, I just cant believe it is still there.

2e6hf7b.jpg

If I could put money towards some projects, I would focus on these areas. With Transformers, Potter, and Springfield, I feel like Universal did what they needed to do and bring more general attractions to the parks. Something in my opinion they really needed to do.

But I think they really need to focus on these 3 areas. The entrance needs something grand, because it is just lacking. I also feel like the problem with this park currently is you have to walk through pretty boring areas to get to the good stuff, which of course is in the back. Were T2 is, I feel like that area needs some improvement. Its become more of a place you just walk through I feel like rather than actually staying. And then lastly...Twister. I just think this action is so dated, I just cant believe it is still there.

2e6hf7b.jpg

I'll agree with the entrance. Personally I still enjoy t2 and twister although wouldn't mind seeing them gone. ANyhow I feel like Port of Entry at IOA is exciting, vibrant before you even get through the gates. That music, the lighthouse, the roar from the hulk in the distance, all of that builds up some chills through my body as I approach IOA.

UNI, no.

Same issue with Sea World. Entrance sucks. But the new Under the Reefs Entrance they are thinking about doing will add some flare and adventure to entering the park.

One reason I Enjoy Disney's Entrances (Except Hollywoods).

Magic Kingdom you have the LUSH scenery and train station, not to mention main street and the castle in the distance building up anticipation!
Animal Kingdom you have the nature viewings and all with the tree of life towering over building up excitement (regardless of what the actual ride is)
Epcot you have mission space and the pointy stones in the front, then behind that you have the water! Universal Florida does lack that. So I agree.

I have to agree. Aside from the archway being cool and signature Universal Studios...the entrance is just lacking. You walk in and see the main gift shop, the cafe, in the distsnce a New York skyline cutout, and the Betty Boop/Lucy tribute??? It just doesn't flow well nor build up any anticipation for the park.

A complete rebuild should be considered.

I have to agree. Aside from the archway being cool and signature Universal Studios...the entrance is just lacking. You walk in and see the main gift shop, the cafe, in the distsnce a New York skyline cutout, and the Betty Boop/Lucy tribute??? It just doesn't flow well nor build up any anticipation for the park.

A complete rebuild should be considered.

I completely agree with the entrance needing a redo. IMO they also need to find a way to hide the soundstages in production central as well.

I completely agree with the entrance needing a redo. IMO they also need to find a way to hide the soundstages in production central as well.

I would think the opposite, the IMO the entrance should be more production-y. It would be great if they make it feel more like your walking into a Production Studio, as it is Universal Studios. It does seem like they are toning that down in the park, but at least keep it in the entrance. Possibly tributes to BTTF, Jaws, Kong, as well as other popular Universal Pictures film properties.

Then as you move on into the more immersive areas, you took a wrong turn and "got lost in the movies" :rofl:

2e6hf7b.jpg

I have to disagree about Hollywood. It's fine and a very appealing area. The Horror Make-Up Show and T2 make it a worthwhile section of the park. The entrance isn't as bad as everyone says. I like the look of it. KidZone and Fear Factor need to be changed or get the boot before anything else is done.

I have to disagree about Hollywood. It's fine and a very appealing area. The Horror Make-Up Show and T2 make it a worthwhile section of the park. The entrance isn't as bad as everyone says. I like the look of it. KidZone and Fear Factor need to be changed or get the boot before anything else is done.

It really is though, as everybody else has pointed out, with every other park that is on the same level as USF you see some magnificent entrances.

Magic Kingdom has a gorgeous "curtain opening" to mainstreet and the castle.
IOA next door has an atmosphere that permeates even beyond the gates, leading to an incredible view of the Discovery Center and the Lagoon.
Epcot has Spaceship Earth front and center, with a graveyard of dead disney ideals infront of it.

Universal has a long stretch of soundstages with a facade of New York in the background. It's not the same, there's no real going "Whoa, look at that!"

When the park was themed to movie production, this fit fine, but it's moving away from that. With London we're seeing an incredible themed environment which has nothing to do with movie production, and with Springfield you're going to be stepping into the world of the Simpsons.

Then Hollywood is incredibly themed, regardless if it's barren. New York/San Francisco are also themed on real world locations and very well done.

Then you have a row of soundstages that make up the entrance to the park, and it's without a doubt the ugliest area there is in the park. Hopefully after a Kidzone refurb (which isn't hugely necessary, it's actually alright) we'll see some love for the entrance.

Yes, a trolley would be pretty cool!!

HTF, is this something that is being considered?? Like a park entrance remodel?