Why does Universal always close at 9 or 10? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Why does Universal always close at 9 or 10?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Plus, if you really want to see the park at night a little more, you can linger for a good half hour or sometimes more before you get (not very politely at Universal) pushed out.

Not sure what your experiences have been, but I stayed a good hour after IoA closed in May and wasn't hassled at all

Every time I've stayed for pictures I get the "Take this picture and get moving!" kind of response from security directly (and they do tend to use a very rude and yelling tone), or they'll keep creeping up on me with a non too happy look on their faces until I quickly move ahead to another spot. Very annoying and not exactly friendly.

If you're there at park open, you can be done just about all of the good stuff at both parks by about 5 unless the park is mobbed.

If you're there at park open, you can be done just about all of the good stuff at both parks by about 5 unless the park is mobbed.

True, but that's not the point. Lots of AP like myself prefer to leisurely go in the afternoon and/or not rush through things, or perhaps just to be there at night, ride the coasters at night, enjoy Toon Lagoon with the lights, or just want to be there without all the heat. Closing at 10 with the holiday crowds makes this difficult. Midnight would be great.

True, but that's not the point. Lots of AP like myself prefer to leisurely go in the afternoon and/or not rush through things, or perhaps just to be there at night, ride the coasters at night, enjoy Toon Lagoon with the lights, or just want to be there without all the heat. Closing at 10 with the holiday crowds makes this difficult. Midnight would be great.

What local in their right mind goes during July 4th?

When those are your vacation days, sometimes you just want to go, and being a local, I have no problem only riding a few things and just soaking in some themeing and people watching for a few hours during the busy holidays. Oh, and taking pictures.

I remember going to IOA years ago and they closed around 5-6pm, no night events or anything going on. Now that sucked

This still happens but not very often anymore after harry potter opened. I started going to the parks when I moved to Orlando in 2009, and pretty much every day was a 5 or 6 pm closing. Really sucked.

Also 13 hours is plenty, but the UOR parks are beautiful at night and it's really hard to see that for more than a few hours.

I would actually prefer going to the parks at night if they every do a 24/7 event. Get there at 6 or 7pm and leave at sunrise :died:

That's....not necessarily true. Just FYI.

I know Disney has a weird system but there's no denying they have more guests than Universal so they kinda need to stay open longer... I think 2015/2016 will see the parks begin to stay open later thou :thumbs:

Doing things outside at night is much more enjoyable than during the day. And like someone else said, the parks look amazing at night.

Doing things outside at night is much more enjoyable than during the day. And like someone else said, the parks look amazing at night.

^I agree.

It also kinda feels like you shouldn't be there. (Especially when your in the Magic Kingdom at 1 in the morning.) lol

I'm in the "I wish the parks would stay open later" camp. For me and my family, it isn't about "not being able to get everything done" during the day. For me and my family, it's about the totally different ambiance of touring a theme park at night. Epcot and the Magic Kingdom are completely different experiences at night. There's just something cool about it. They're beautiful.

Same thing goes for swimming at the hotel pool. I can swim all day long if I want, but when I'm on vacation, my family loves swimming at the resort pools at night. It's just a totally different experience. For lack of a better word, it's "special". And we love it.

Another example is a big city at night. There's just something that's so cool about walking around a city when it's all lit up. I don't know - can't really explain it.....but I'd love it if the parks stayed open until 10 or 11.

Is there anything more beautiful than Thunder Mountain's lighting at night? The entire MK is ten times better at night.

It's a simple matter of money. If late night guest spending is not more than the labor costs then they're going to close.
Anyone doing late night eating/drinking/shopping can do that at citywalk which is open till 2am every day. I think it makes a lot of sense.

What local in their right mind goes during July 4th?

Ummm..me? Like retroeric said, it's one of the few days the whole family gets off.

And, Universal closes early. I'm only really able to go in the evening and I hardly ever make it to Universal at night simply because they're always closing early (especially IOA).