Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 566 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has turned out to be a new structure on the plans. From the side, it appears to be a large archway/underpass to the southern triangle street where it is believed Borgin will be.

jutout_zps94db832f.jpg

Next to go up in a chopper, please take some zoom picture from the various sides.

How will the HE work on days when IOA closes before USF?

I know quite often it is booked out for corporate events and closes earlier than USF for other reasons.... Will HE have an earlier closing time than the rest of the park?

I think once Phase 2 opens, the park closing times will be the same for both parks. Whenever there are corporate buyouts, they usually let them in before park closes, and then by park close time, they only allow those with event badges + lanyards enter the rides, and inform everyone else that the park is closed. I'm not sure how they handle people who just stay hanging around, but they make it work. Recently, there was a BrightHouse event and before park close there were already a lot of people inside the park, all with their special lanyards. Also, I went to LeakyCon 2011 when they had bought out the WWoHP for one night and we could also be in the park from earlier; we had special wristbands and I can't remember if they also made us wear our Con badges + lanyards. Anyways, somehow they manage to make it work, and they do these events quite a lot, so I don't think it'll be an issue :thumbs:

This has turned out to be a new structure on the plans. From the side, it appears to be a large archway/underpass to the southern triangle street where it is believed Borgin will be.

jutout_zps94db832f.jpg

Next to go up in a chopper, please take some zoom picture from the various sides.

I think that's the entrance to Knockturn Alley. I can't find a freaking picture of it, but it's where this encounter happens in the Chamber of Secrets movie:

teeth-lg.jpg

jutout_zps94db832f.jpg

I'm really confused. I thought Knocturn was going to be on the other side of the expansion.... soo whats that over by Fear Factor...?

Because the Phase I owl painting is HYPER accurate and clear. I think that is a reasonable reason to expect similar. The only thing modified in that was the dead-end alleyway being removed and that was a completely reasonable change.

Well if you really want to get down to it, the original Phase I owl had the huge champion tents where the DC castle still remains standing.

I think once Phase 2 opens, the park closing times will be the same for both parks. Whenever there are corporate buyouts, they usually let them in before park closes, and then by park close time, they only allow those with event badges + lanyards enter the rides, and inform everyone else that the park is closed. I'm not sure how they handle people who just stay hanging around, but they make it work. Recently, there was a BrightHouse event and before park close there were already a lot of people inside the park, all with their special lanyards. Also, I went to LeakyCon 2011 when they had bought out the WWoHP for one night and we could also be in the park from earlier; we had special wristbands and I can't remember if they also made us wear our Con badges + lanyards. Anyways, somehow they manage to make it work, and they do these events quite a lot, so I don't think it'll be an issue :thumbs:

So jealous you got to go to that Leaky Con. I hope they do that every year from now on. I can't afford to go to the 2014 leaky con but if its in Orlando again in 2015 I could save up.:drool:

I think that's the entrance to Knockturn Alley. I can't find a freaking picture of it.

Oh lookie! See 36-secs through 48-secs:

[video=youtube;xGrMNPKasKE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGrMNPKasKE[/video]

I'm really confused. I thought Knocturn was going to be on the other side of the expansion.... soo whats that over by Fear Factor...?

I think that place with all those pointed roofs might be a small shop or F&B place; I'm leaning more towards a F&B place, like a Butterbeer / MagicNeep-type place, or maybe Florean Fortescue's could be there?

So jealous you got to go to that Leaky Con. I hope they do that every year from now on. I can't afford to go to the 2014 leaky con but if its in Orlando again in 2015 I could save up.:drool:

It was really an awesome time in LC 2011, between the park event, the early DH-2 screenings, and the awesome HP-fandom community. Now, they like to space them out around the country, so I don't think it'll be back here at least for another few years. (2009, Boston... 2011, Orlando... 2012, Chicago... 2013, Portland & London... 2014, Orlando.) So, if there's any way you can scavenge and save any money by next year, I highly recommend it for HP fans! Especially here in Orlando where we have the parks. The event at the park(s) should be HUGE. Next year should be spectacular with both parks open!

Last edited:
Whenever I look at the concept art and that area to the right of Diagon Alley, I think of photos I've seen of this place...

LeadenhallMarket_zps8e7acad4.jpg

That's Leadenhall Market that supposedly inspired the look of diagon alley (or maybe the way it would have looked in teh 14th century?). If you look on internet sites about Harry Potter London tours, they seem to pitch this place as the actual filming location of DA. What they do seem to get right is that just around the corner of this covered market area is a small storefront that served as the film location of the London entrance to the Leaky Cauldron (Sorcerer's Stone version).

Whenever I look at the concept art and that area to the right of Diagon Alley, I think of photos I've seen of this place...

LeadenhallMarket_zps8e7acad4.jpg

That's Leadenhall Market that supposedly inspired the look of diagon alley (or maybe the way it would have looked in teh 14th century?). If you look on internet sites about Harry Potter London tours, they seem to pitch this place as the actual filming location of DA. What they do seem to get right is that just around the corner of this covered market area is a small storefront that served as the film location of the London entrance to the Leaky Cauldron (Sorcerer's Stone version).

Ive read that this was used as Diagon Alley on numerous web sites also. I always just assumed they used parts of this area and dressed it up for the movies.

Ive read that this was used as Diagon Alley on numerous web sites also. I always just assumed they used parts of this area and dressed it up for the movies.

I think the area may have been used in the scenes immediately before Hagrid and Harry enter the Leakey Cauldron, but the Diagon Alley set was on a soundstage. I found this from a 2001 TIME magazine article:Cinema: The First Look At Harry

Reasoning that Hogwarts would date back to the medieval era, production designer Stuart Craig (The English Patient) fashioned Hogwarts' Great Hall after England's greatest cathedrals. Like all the other sets, it was built at Leavesden Studios, a former airfield outside London. "The architecture is real," says Craig, "but pushed as much as we can, expanded as illogically huge as we can possibly make it." To save money, the producers initially asked Craig to find an existing old English street to double for Diagon Alley, where wands, owls, cauldrons, broomsticks and other magical paraphernalia are sold. This was a tall order, since the row of shops would be Harry's--and the audience's--first glimpse of the world of wizards. (Upon seeing it, wrote Rowling, "Harry wished he had about eight more eyes.") Craig ended up building his own awe-inspiring version--a long, highly stylized cobblestone street of Tudor, Georgian and Queen Anne architecture. "The buildings are leaning to the point where they would actually fall over," says Craig, "and you would never get that many styles jammed together."

Last edited:
Now that I think about it the movie characters are facing Weasley's in the movies often, with Olivandres on the left. So if you're facing Weasley's you're facing the entracne to Diagon. Malfloy is seen running off down an alley to Knocturn away from Olivanders which WOULD put Knocturn on the left side of the park. But all those pointed roofs and little passages on the right side of the new land definitely look a lot more like the Knocturn of the 6th movie... can someone with the knowledge please make a map...? :)

They only do the mix in for a handful of after hours events (Probably less then 5%).

In all honesty there is no reason they couldn't switch to a round trip ride if the other park is closed.

Now that I think about it the movie characters are facing Weasley's in the movies often, with Olivandres on the left. So if you're facing Weasley's you're facing the entracne to Diagon. Malfloy is seen running off down an alley to Knocturn away from Olivanders which WOULD put Knocturn on the left side of the park. But all those pointed roofs and little passages on the right side of the new land definitely look a lot more like the Knocturn of the 6th movie... can someone with the knowledge please make a map...? :)

I'm not necessarily someone with knowledge. But here's my best guess.

DiagonAlley_zps75b80323.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.