Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 50 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always said if they announce that Sinbad will be closing within the first few months of this year, before Summer, that is a signal the expansion is coming.

If they do decide to build Diagon Alley, they don't have to have all the shops "open". Have some of the shops be just like Hogsmeade where they have activity going on in the windows. That way, they could open shops that they don't have in Hogsmeade, and have a couple of repeated ones (Ollivanders, merch store, joke shop). And as I stated before, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't use the Sindbad building for another attraction and just use it for themeing, etc.

Also, how will they explain someone besides Ollivander working the shop? In the books he was the only employee, and Jo said no notable characters.

What if, they replaced the Diagon Alley Ollivander's with Gregorovitch's wand shop? It may not make sense based on location, but I cannot recall the location of his shop ATM. This could theoretically solve the issue of 2 Ollivander's. :shrug:

If they do decide to build Diagon Alley, they don't have to have all the shops "open". Have some of the shops be just like Hogsmeade where they have activity going on in the windows. That way, they could open shops that they don't have in Hogsmeade, and have a couple of repeated ones (Ollivanders, merch store, joke shop). And as I stated before, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't use the Sindbad building for another attraction and just use it for themeing, etc.

Personally, I think that'd be a mistake. The building should be something worthwhile. And if not the building, the space.

What if, they replaced the Diagon Alley Ollivander's with Gregorovitch's wand shop? It may not make sense based on location, but I cannot recall the location of his shop ATM. This could theoretically solve the issue of 2 Ollivander's. :shrug:

If they do that (which I don't believe they will, you've got what you've got with the wand shops), I'd rather have Gregorovitch in Hogsmede and Ollivander in DA where he belongs.

Last edited:
To me, the Shrieking Shack would be exceptionally boring, considering absolutely nothing goes on there. And the forest is already represented heavily in FJ.

Besides, why would they take muggles into the forest when it's dangerous?

Well, Shrieking Shack wouldn't be a major attraction just more for atmosphere like the Psycho house used to be.

The Forbidden Forest is only dangerous if you leave the path. Besides all the stuff we saw in FJ was very dangerous...accidents happen :sneaky:
I think they should make sort of a Camp Jurassic in the Forbidden Forest, with some neat scenery and certain triggers for different creatures (sort of like the footprints you can step on in CJ). Of course you wouldn't be very very deep into the forest (like where Aragog lives) I just think that could be neat and would give kids more to do.

I also would love if it were possible to add something to Hogwarts, like maybe the Great Hall. I really think WW could use a nice restaurant, something besides just a counter service or a pub, and they would make a ton of money off of it. Everyone would want to eat there. It wouldn't be just English food either, they could add French and Eastern European cuisine for the foreign students as well.

are you really using Steve Jobs as an example? People knew the Iphone 4 was coming out months before it was announced. I need to replace my current Iphone, but am definitely waiting for the Iphone "4G" this summer. Sorry, that's just a bad example.

BUT... I see what you are saying...why spend more money to increase park attendance, when attendence is already through the roof? Why not wait until attendence starts to slope down before resubmitting...

Well then, why would Disney announce the Fantasy Land Revision? Wouldn't that just postponned people from attending until it's completed? It's not logical.

People are STILL going to come see the original WW, when they know there is more coming, just like people still buy Iphone 3G for $99 when they know an Iphone 4 is available and a "new" Iphone 4 will be out this summer...see how I just used your own example against you? Lol.

The best explanation is that Universal wants to keep the hype going...in 3 years when most people would have gotten tired of Potter, PART 2 of the park will open just in time to increase interest again...you can look at it both ways.

The best explanation is that Universal wants to keep the hype going...in 3 years when most people would have gotten tired of Potter, PART 2 of the park will open just in time to increase interest again...you can look at it both ways.
I would think an announcement of a new land would be perfect to generate interest.
I think they should make sort of a Camp Jurassic in the Forbidden Forest, with some neat scenery and certain triggers for different creatures (sort of like the footprints you can step on in CJ). Of course you wouldn't be very very deep into the forest (like where Aragog lives) I just think that could be neat and would give kids more to do.
Me and Damond came up with an idea for a walkthrough FJ, almost like Trike Encounter but with several different type of animals. I’ll try to find it, but with all the new pages popping up every day, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to. :lol:

I would think an announcement of a new land would be perfect to generate interest.

Me and Damond came up with an idea for a walkthrough FJ, almost like Trike Encounter but with several different type of animals. I’ll try to find it, but with all the new pages popping up every day, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to. :lol:

Yes I remember this convo. I was in on it too... Although I'm going more towards Diagon Alley (because even with Diagon Alley, the FF wouldn't make sense behind Hogsmeade and lets face it, we don't have the room for it)... I remember we started getting more towards a carriages idea, and instead of being pulled by thestrals they would be enchanted by the Ministry to move, and our tour would be narrated by magic (think the disembodied woman's voice from the Ministry), seeing as the Ministry was the one to approve showing muggles the Wizarding World...

Yes I remember this convo. I was in on it too... Although I'm going more towards Diagon Alley (because even with Diagon Alley, the FF wouldn't make sense behind Hogsmeade and lets face it, we don't have the room for it)... I remember we started getting more towards a carriages idea, and instead of being pulled by thestrals they would be enchanted by the Ministry to move, and our tour would be narrated by magic (think the disembodied woman's voice from the Ministry), seeing as the Ministry was the one to approve showing muggles the Wizarding World...
I remember that. I was thinking more walking along the path with a student who was getting extra credit for being a tour guide. And I would hope it wouldn't be on the opposite side of Hogsmeade from Hogwarts, but how do you not like it because that makes no sense, but yet you love DA and think that makes sense?

I remember that. I was thinking more walking along the path with a student who was getting extra credit for being a tour guide. And I would hope it wouldn't be on the opposite side of Hogsmeade from Hogwarts, but how do you not like it because that makes no sense, but yet you love DA and think that makes sense?

I said it wouldn't make sense behind Hogsmeade. The FF is a Forest behind Hogwarts, not Hogsmeade. Diagon Alley is located in London, however, you could transition from it to Hogsmeade in numerous ways. The FF can't suddenly send you to Hogsmeade (unless your apparating...). Now if we had room behind Hogwarts, that would work... However, we have the room behind Hogsmeade, and with proper transitioning, it's too separate lands in one park... And you've argued it would be too much of the same - Hogsmeade looks quite a bit different from Diagon Alley (more village, less shop square), and I believe Diagon Alley was always a little more whimsical. There are enough different shops to make Diagon Alley another experience and then show up at Hogwarts/Hogsmeade...
I just don't see a way to add FF and make a transition from it to Hogsmeade because it's supposed to be from FF to Hogwarts... Diagon Alley could have transitioning with a Hogwarts Express (and walking would work as well - I can't currently think of a solution other than a themed walking portion next to the Hogwarts Express ride... That could work, kind of like the Polar Express walking only portion...)...

Last edited:
I said it wouldn't make sense behind Hogsmeade. The FF is a Forest behind Hogwarts, not Hogsmeade.
I know, I was agreeing with you.:lol:
Diagon Alley is located in London, however, you could transition from it to Hogsmeade in numerous ways.
Yes, but none of them good.
The FF can't suddenly send you to Hogsmeade (unless your apparating...). Now if we had room behind Hogwarts, that would work... However, we have the room behind Hogsmeade, and with proper transitioning, it's too separate lands in one park...
Again just take some useless land from Jp, it doesn't need much.
And you've argued it would be too much of the same - Hogsmeade looks quite a bit different from Diagon Alley (more village, less shop square), and I believe Diagon Alley was always a little more whimsical. There are enough different shops to make Diagon Alley another experience and then show up at Hogwarts/Hogsmeade...
Still, the minor details aren't noticed by most people. What is, is that one second you're walking up a street lined with shops, with a large building at the end. Then, after a crappy transition, you're walking down another street lined with shops, with a large building at the end.
I just don't see a way to add FF and make a transition from it to Hogsmeade because it's supposed to be from FF to Hogwarts... Diagon Alley could have transitioning with a Hogwarts Express (and walking would work as well - I can't currently think of a solution other than a themed walking portion next to the Hogwarts Express ride... That could work, kind of like the Polar Express walking only portion...)...
Again, all of those transition ideas are just too cheesy and stupid (no offense, theres really no good transition). No way Jo would approve. Also, it wrecks the the whole "totally immersed in the HP universe" thing. That was the best part about the WW for most fans, and having DA right next to it would just ruin it. EXPAND HOGSMEADE. That is the only thing to do with LC (preferably only the Arabian side) that won't be horrible.

I know, I was agreeing with you.:lol:

Yes, but none of them good.
Again just take some useless land from Jp, it doesn't need much.

Still, the minor details aren't noticed by most people. What is, is that one second you're walking up a street lined with shops, with a large building at the end. Then, after a crappy transition, you're walking down another street lined with shops, with a large building at the end.

Again, all of those transition ideas are just too cheesy and stupid (no offense, theres really no good transition). No way Jo would approve. Also, it wrecks the the whole "totally immersed in the HP universe" thing. That was the best part about the WW for most fans, and having DA right next to it would just ruin it. EXPAND HOGSMEADE. That is the only thing to do with LC (preferably only the Arabian side) that won't be horrible.

I promise you, expanding Hogsmeade would be worse than Diagon Alley on many levels
I don't think they want to put in anymore Diagon Alley shops in Hogsmeade, and the Shrieking Shack isn't really haunted remember - Lupin is gone now... So it's kind... Weird... And how would a very well themed walking section + Hogwarts Express take you out of the theme? Personally I think it would be epic!

But these are all our ideas, I'm sure Universal has a billion others, so only they know what the heck would (and more than likely will) go in an expansion...

How would the walking section take you hundreds of miles? How would the train take you hundreds of miles? How would you explain seeing Hogwarts from DA? How would you explain seeing DA from Hogsmeade? And please don't give me the whole "magic can do anything" BS.

How would the walking section take you hundreds of miles? How would the train take you hundreds of miles? How would you explain seeing Hogwarts from DA? How would you explain seeing DA from Hogsmeade? And please don't give me the whole "magic can do anything" BS.

Listen, there ARE compromises, the detail in the land more than makes up for that. I wasn't going to give you the whole - magic can do anything, I will say that well placed buildings could block out Hogwarts.
I will also say the train takes the students hundreds of miles... So what's the difference with us? It's going to be much shorter as a real life version, but so are half the rides in many other places (how do we get all around New York City in about 15 minutes on Spiderman, and don't give me the whole "It's a cartoon" BS :p )... And there are some compromises with the walking section, but there would be with ANY attraction anywhere. We will still have the wonderful details we have. It's a compromise...

I will say that well placed buildings could block out Hogwarts.
Although you have a point, What buildings besides Gringotts are tall enough to block out Hogsmeade. Gringotts is too small to block it out for the entire area.
(how do we get all around New York City in about 15 minutes on Spiderman, and don't give me the whole "It's a cartoon" BS :p )...
Touche
And there are some compromises with the walking section, but there would be with ANY attraction anywhere. We will still have the wonderful details we have. It's a compromise...

Yes, but the details wouldn't be as wonderful, since so much of the visual effects would be compromised.

--- Update ---

Sorry, I highly doubt that J.K. Rowling would allow two wizarding worlds. And people wouldn't want to just visit Diagon Alley, they built Hogwarts in the current WW for a reason...

She would allow it, as long as it was anything besides Hogwarts and Hogsmeade. I love how you guys are always saying I make it seem like Jo vetos everything, and yet one of the things she wouldn't veto, you guys think she would. :lol: And I think people would much rather view DA than nothing. :lol:

Well we could make some buildings taller... We don't have descriptions of every Diagon Alley shop, as suggested earlier, make some closed with visual storefront effects... And have them tall. Gringotts and other (tall) shops on it's sides at the end, and boom, we've got a believable Diagon Alley. And what visual effects? I'm suggesting a walking option with indoor sections (caves, little hidden areas with magiquest effects if they do that?, etc to have cool stuff. We could have different things along the way that are from the books...)...

If anyone can pull it off, the team at Universal Creative and J.K. can...

^ How would you even explain a cave taking you hundreds of miles? And, no, they can't pull it off, because they're both smart enough to not even try something that stupid. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.