Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 202 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting note regarding ticket sales: There is currently a buy 2-day park-to-park ticket get 1 day free promotion on the Universal ticket webpage. If you click on the details, it says that tickets will expire if not used by May 22. Current crowd projections show May 22 as being a moderately busy day - nothing special is happening that makes it stand out. I'm probably reading entiiiiirrrely too much into this, but I can't help but think "soft openings." Then again, maybe that's the same weekend they stop running this same special every year.

Interesting note regarding ticket sales: There is currently a buy 2-day park-to-park ticket get 1 day free promotion on the Universal ticket webpage. If you click on the details, it says that tickets will expire if not used by May 22. Current crowd projections show May 22 as being a moderately busy day - nothing special is happening that makes it stand out. I'm probably reading entiiiiirrrely too much into this, but I can't help but think "soft openings." Then again, maybe that's the same weekend they stop running this same special every year.

Thats what happens every year. Disney does the same thing. it is the start of the Busy season.

Thats what happens every year. Disney does the same thing. it is the start of the Busy season.

Yep because the weekend after the 22nd is the weekend before Memorial Day. So some people come down that weekend and stay until the holiday weekend. It is not the start of the very busy season, but it does mark the point between the slow and busier season.

So, is Alan Gilmore the WB dark horse on this project whose demands are final? I haven't heard a word about Craig this time around. And what about the Phase II Art Director for Orlando. Who is he and what power or talent does he possess?

Park hours 8am-11pm work so well because lets say you want to be there when the park first opens at 8am. Most likely you'll be gone and tired by 4-5pm. Then for those that rather start later, can enter at 4pm and still have 7 hours to enjoy the parks.

or

you can hit the parks up at 8am, leave at 12 in the afternoon. Go to your onsite resort and maybe take a nap or a shower. Then go back around 7pm and enjoy the rest of the night.

This way there are more like two opening times and they spread crowds.

I feel like the whole operating hours issue was never fully resolved, but this quote kinda has a lot to do with why I think Universal is playing it the way they are. They don't want people splitting up their days or going in segments (8 am - 4 pm, and 4 pm - 11 pm). All that time where people are either a) resting or b) leaving early/arriving late is time where guests aren't spending money in the parks. Giving them all that time in the park gives them plenty of time to eat outside the park, preoccupy themselves with something other than shopping, etc. 8 am is kind of early and 11 pm is kind of late...those times have the potential to be dead and that's just a waste of money.

The other thing is the lack of novelty the expansion has--the hype surrounding HP 1 was far greater to the general public, IMO, because it had never been done before. I think the urgency people had to see the first-ever Harry Potter theme park experience is gone with HP 1.0. Now, people will probably be more willing to wait for their regularly-scheduled vacation to roll around to see the expansion. So it's not like the parks should be *as* unbearable as they were in 2010 anyway. Of course, even if they are, the point still remains that shorter hours means less motivation for people to leave the park and more motivation for them to stick around, shop, etc.

I also think that with the addition of Cabana Bay, Universal is really pushing multi-day visits...if they allow you to get the whole resort done in one regular operating day, there won't be as much need to stay at the hotels.

Of course, this is all baseless speculation on my part, but I agree with JungleSkip on this issue--Universal has largely always been a park that empties out around 5/6, no matter what new attractions are there. Because at the end of the day, it's still much more "local" in feel than Disney (the percentage of visitors is less die-hard tourists and more of locals who have the mentality that they can come back anytime). Of course, if Universal turns out to be completely unprepared, they can always just extend the hours as the summer goes on. But as of now, I don't think it's a huge deal.

I feel like the whole operating hours issue was never fully resolved, but this quote kinda has a lot to do with why I think Universal is playing it the way they are. They don't want people splitting up their days or going in segments (8 am - 4 pm, and 4 pm - 11 pm). All that time where people are either a) resting or b) leaving early/arriving late is time where guests aren't spending money in the parks. Giving them all that time in the park gives them plenty of time to eat outside the park, preoccupy themselves with something other than shopping, etc. 8 am is kind of early and 11 pm is kind of late...those times have the potential to be dead and that's just a waste of money.

The other thing is the lack of novelty the expansion has--the hype surrounding HP 1 was far greater to the general public, IMO, because it had never been done before. I think the urgency people had to see the first-ever Harry Potter theme park experience is gone with HP 1.0. Now, people will probably be more willing to wait for their regularly-scheduled vacation to roll around to see the expansion. So it's not like the parks should be *as* unbearable as they were in 2010 anyway. Of course, even if they are, the point still remains that shorter hours means less motivation for people to leave the park and more motivation for them to stick around, shop, etc.

I also think that with the addition of Cabana Bay, Universal is really pushing multi-day visits...if they allow you to get the whole resort done in one regular operating day, there won't be as much need to stay at the hotels.

Of course, this is all baseless speculation on my part, but I agree with JungleSkip on this issue--Universal has largely always been a park that empties out around 5/6, no matter what new attractions are there. Because at the end of the day, it's still much more "local" in feel than Disney (the percentage of visitors is less die-hard tourists and more of locals who have the mentality that they can come back anytime). Of course, if Universal turns out to be completely unprepared, they can always just extend the hours as the summer goes on. But as of now, I don't think it's a huge deal.

You kinda make it seem like a person buys something every 15 minutes. When I go to the parks, I make only about 3 purchases. If someone rather go to their onsite hotel and buy lunch there, its still going to Universal.

I agree with your point about HP phase 1.

People leave by 4-5pm because they have no other choice then to go at 9-10am to experience the whole park and by 5pm most people are dead. If they extend the time 'til 11pm, you'll see more people coming in at 3pm. I feel like they would even make more money.

Last edited:
You kinda make it seem like a person buys something every 15 minutes. When I go to the parks, I make only about 3 purchases. If someone rather go to their onsite hotel and buy lunch there, its still going to Universal.

I agree with your point about HP phase 1.

People leave by 4-5pm because they have no other choice then to go at 9-10am to experience the whole park and by 5pm most people are dead. If they extend the time 'til 11pm, you'll see more people coming in at 3pm. I feel like they would even make more money.

People dont have to buy something every 15 minutes. The point is, if you were to feel inclined to leave because you had extra time in the park, you have no chance of buying something versus having lots of potential to do so throughout the day.

You could very well be right, too. But I can make out the logic behind Universal's hours.

I skip past the posts that are more than 3 paragraphs.
And this added so much value to the thread, didn't it? The posts that are that long are usually the ones with the best information. Sorry your short attention span can't handle a little reading.

- - - Updated - - -

People dont have to buy something every 15 minutes. The point is, if you were to feel inclined to leave because you had extra time in the park, you have no chance of buying something versus having lots of potential to do so throughout the day.

You could very well be right, too. But I can make out the logic behind Universal's hours.
How do they have no chance of buying something? If they stay onsite, they could spend plenty of money. They could spend money in CityWalk and if they wanted buy Uni merch in the Universal Studios store there. It's not like once you're out of the park your chance is over. And Uni still makes money from everything I listed too.

And this added so much value to the thread, didn't it? The posts that are that long are usually the ones with the best information. Sorry your short attention span can't handle a little reading.

- - - Updated - - -

How do they have no chance of buying something? If they stay onsite, they could spend plenty of money. They could spend money in CityWalk and if they wanted buy Uni merch in the Universal Studios store there. It's not like once you're out of the park your chance is over. And Uni still makes money from everything I listed too.

That's very true, but considering the amount of people the on-site hotels hold and the amount of people that Universal can (and should be expecting to) fit in their parks suggests many, many people will be locals or staying off-site. Although, Cabana Bay may completely change the dynamic of Universal's crowd makeup. It just seems to me that by making the hours less extreme, Universal can maximize the amount of people in their park at any given time which is typically a good thing. Not that I think it's the best logic ever, and I really don't know how operations like this work...I'm just defending them a bit.

Universal can maximize the amount of people in their park at any given time which is typically a good thing. Not that I think it's the best logic ever, and I really don't know how operations like this work...I'm just defending them a bit.

Many people these last couple of years have gone to Universal for the first time because of potter. Many more people will come and experience Universal for the first time this year as well. Typically, IOA is usually more packed. This year, both parks will be. This is the year that Universal has to show their customers that they are THE orlando vacation destination. Universal will make mountains of money regardless. Extending park hours will help alleviate crowds.

I honestly dont think Universal knows whats coming to them. For the most part, potter fans showed up for Phase 1. Universal has helped grow the HP fan base. My mom is now a fan too because of the WWOHP. So just imagine the amount of people that will and are going to show up this summer. Those visiting Disney are going to jump on over to check this out. The highway will be bumper to bumper and the crowds are going to be insane. Universal will be a nightmare. The End.

Last edited:
That's very true, but considering the amount of people the on-site hotels hold and the amount of people that Universal can (and should be expecting to) fit in their parks suggests many, many people will be locals or staying off-site. Although, Cabana Bay may completely change the dynamic of Universal's crowd makeup. It just seems to me that by making the hours less extreme, Universal can maximize the amount of people in their park at any given time which is typically a good thing. Not that I think it's the best logic ever, and I really don't know how operations like this work...I'm just defending them a bit.

One small point of disagreement here, but by having shorter hours, people spend more time in lines cause they either feel like they have to ride everything or because everyone there wants to get the popular rides in. People in lines are not spending money. If they lengthened the hours out more, it spreads people's days out and lets you spend more time, eating, shopping etc. I know there have been times where I rushed from ride to ride because I wanted to catch certain rides and the park was closing soon. If I had a couple more hours, I wouldn't have been rushed and might have grabbed a drink, a donut, or looked through a gift shop that I passed by.

One small point of disagreement here, but by having shorter hours, people spend more time in lines cause they either feel like they have to ride everything or because everyone there wants to get the popular rides in. People in lines are not spending money. If they lengthened the hours out more, it spreads people's days out and lets you spend more time, eating, shopping etc. I know there have been times where I rushed from ride to ride because I wanted to catch certain rides and the park was closing soon. If I had a couple more hours, I wouldn't have been rushed and might have grabbed a drink, a donut, or looked through a gift shop that I passed by.
Totally agreed with this. I also think Uni should be open later during Mardi Gras. Take May 10th for Example when The Wanted are performing. Now I don't know a lot about the group, but I do know they are fairly popular and that they announced they were splitting up. The park closes at 9 that night and the parade doesn't even BEGIN until 8:15. Same for when Robin Thicke is performing on June 7th. On those nights, the concerts begin essentially when the park closes. And they haven't even been doing CineSpec after the concerts from what I know this year.

It's just a big loss in potential business imo. Skip says everyone leaves by 5/6, well here's a time where people are GUARANTEED to be at the park late and they still close early. Sure people are going to leave after the concert ends, but you know why everyone does that? Because they've been conditioned to over the years. Universal event staff herds people out as fast as possible. People have it in their minds that "last time I was here for a concert, they made us leave right away" so that's what people do.

And i'm not saying stay open late after these concerts on all concert nights, as not all concerts draw huge crowds. However, a good % of those people that leave just go out to CityWalk and drink or even worse on Universal, head out to a local bar. I've worked as event staff and I know what has to go on to clean up after those concerts, but that area can be roped off. It just doesn't make sense to me why they close so early on most of those nights.

I'm sure most of you guys have seen this but here is the latest construction video recorded on 4/15 including the Knight Bus, Wyndham sign, tree barriers and work on the lamp post.

[video=youtube;DJjYoHnm02s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJjYoHnm02s[/video]

Reactions: Felipe
Totally agreed with this. I also think Uni should be open later during Mardi Gras. Take May 10th for Example when The Wanted are performing. Now I don't know a lot about the group, but I do know they are fairly popular and that they announced they were splitting up. The park closes at 9 that night and the parade doesn't even BEGIN until 8:15. Same for when Robin Thicke is performing on June 7th. On those nights, the concerts begin essentially when the park closes. And they haven't even been doing CineSpec after the concerts from what I know this year.

It's just a big loss in potential business imo. Skip says everyone leaves by 5/6, well here's a time where people are GUARANTEED to be at the park late and they still close early. Sure people are going to leave after the concert ends, but you know why everyone does that? Because they've been conditioned to over the years. Universal event staff herds people out as fast as possible. People have it in their minds that "last time I was here for a concert, they made us leave right away" so that's what people do.

And i'm not saying stay open late after these concerts on all concert nights, as not all concerts draw huge crowds. However, a good % of those people that leave just go out to CityWalk and drink or even worse on Universal, head out to a local bar. I've worked as event staff and I know what has to go on to clean up after those concerts, but that area can be roped off. It just doesn't make sense to me why they close so early on most of those nights.

If it wasn't for the flashlight brigade, that conditioning wouldn't be quite as ingrained as it is.

So, they have installed all of these signs and lamps on buildings that still require painting, and yet, they haven't installed the clock(s) in the long since finished Kings Cross tower. It stresses me out at how "cart before the horse" this project seems at times.

So, they have installed all of these signs and lamps on buildings that still require painting, and yet, they haven't installed the clock(s) in the long since finished Kings Cross tower. It stresses me out at how "cart before the horse" this project seems at times.

Seriously, that big black circle sticks out like a sore thumb and looks so ugly. I hope they install it soon.

Once I see the lamps, the clocks and the Eros fountain (hopefully in that order) I'll be extremely happy. I can't for the life of me understand why that clock hasn't been installed yet, the tower was finished months ago.

Do we know if the clock is going to be a fully functioning turret clock with bells or chimes? If so, I imagine the engineering and/or fabrication could be reason for delay.

Just a thought.

-Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.