Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 122 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're still getting the website glitch that displays the Three Broomsticks description for everything, try clearing cookies or switching browsers. I just did that and now it's working correctly.

If you're still getting the website glitch that displays the Three Broomsticks description for everything, try clearing cookies or switching browsers. I just did that and now it's working correctly.

Yup. I had problems earlier, then I cleared my cookies and it worked afterward. So if you're having problems, try that.

Woodbury did seem a little off during the presentation but he comes across much more sincere than anyone from WDI. I really enjoy listening to him speak about the parks because you can see that he cares about the quality of the project. Coup is another one who seems really genuine. You can tell he was really excited for the HE.

Yup. I had problems earlier, then I cleared my cookies and it worked afterward. So if you're having problems, try that.

Woodbury did seem a little off during the presentation but he comes across much more sincere than anyone from WDI. I really enjoy listening to him speak about the parks because you can see that he cares about the quality of the project. Coup is another one who seems really genuine. You can tell he was really excited for the HE.

Like I said earlier, Coup was pitching way better yesterday. He should've done the entire presentation.

On a shot in the dark, I googled something I saw on a TV show (Anthony Bourdain, I think) a long time ago, and BINGO!

The small structures in front of the London facades are Cabmen's Shelters.

CaptureCabShelter_zps97632bfd.png

800px-A_London_Cabman%27s_Shelter_in_Warwick_Avenue_W9.jpg

London_taxi_shelter.jpg

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabmen's_Shelter_Fund

Perhaps they'll serve sandwiches and snacks for guests passing through and not entering Diagon Alley.

EDIT: I found the episode I remembered. The cab shelter part starts at about the 40 minute mark.

[video=dailymotion;xo2mr7]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo2mr7_the-layover-s01e09-london_travel[/video]

Whoah! Amazing sleuthing skills! I'd never heard of Cabmen's Shelters before. They sound like the earliest form of fast food drive through establishments :)

Not sure if you all already noticed, but if you click the newspaper at the bottom of the Diagon side of the interactive website, there are three pages of the Daily Prophet with six different videos about the new attractions featuring cast members (including Warwick Davis in full Griphook makeup), UC members, and members of the film creative team. There's at least one new piece of concept art in there, too, looking up Diagon Alley with Florean Fortescue's on the right.

The videos cover different features as follows:

1. The expansion overall
2. Diagon Alley
3. Gringotts
4. The Hogwarts Express
5. Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes
6. Knockturn Alley

Goodness, I value so many of you here for your offerings of potential solutions and ideas. I also admire that you watch Anthony Bourdain. :wave:

Looks like a keepah!

:thumbs:

Whoah! Amazing sleuthing skills! I'd never heard of Cabmen's Shelters before. They sound like the earliest form of fast food drive through establishments :)

:thumbs:

Don't doubt this was a thing, but curious to learn more. Do you have a link to a post or anything?

There was a post on another site, I'm not affiliated with it but would prefer a mod to post it as I don't want to get into any trouble.

However it mentioned Frosty the Snowman, White Christmas, A Christmas Carol, Holidays in Hogsmeade and Holidays in Diagon Alley amongst some other things.

Last edited:
Not sure if you all already noticed, but if you click the newspaper at the bottom of the Diagon side of the interactive website, there are three pages of the Daily Prophet with six different videos about the new attractions featuring cast members (including Warwick Davis in full Griphook makeup), UC members, and members of the film creative team. There's at least one new piece of concept art in there, too, looking up Diagon Alley with Florean Fortescue's on the right.

The videos cover different features as follows:

1. The expansion overall
2. Diagon Alley
3. Gringotts
4. The Hogwarts Express
5. Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes
6. Knockturn Alley

Thanks for the heads up! It's awesome to hear the cast and creative all talking about it. I just spent half an hour exploring the website some more. They're packing a lot into this expansion.

More thoughts on the cgi walk-through...

When standing in front of Blotts... if you turn around... what is the object in the hole in the wall?

The two statues in Floreans window, were they in the movies. Would we all imagine the cones will be going up in a spiral animation?

Has anyone mentioned that the columned building to the left of the Menagerie appears a dead ringer for bathrooms. (Felipe was half correct!)

That asian budda thingy behind glass at Zonko's, was that at Zonko's or WWW in the films. And what is that statue supposed to be selling? Should we assume that is going to WWW too?

When standing in front of Blotts... if you turn around... what is the object in the hole in the wall?

It's a bust of a backwards goblin. It's always in pictures of the front of Diagon Alley.

1-2.png

The two statues in Floreans window, were they in the movies. Would we all imagine the cones will be going up in a spiral animation?

Florean's only has one window display and the spiral trees of cones were not in any movie or game. My guess is it's a Universal creation created to fill up the remaining windows.

Has anyone mentioned that the columned building to the left of the Menagerie appears a dead ringer for bathrooms. (Felipe was half correct!)

I'd put money on it. You can even see where you go into one of the bathrooms.

That asian budda thingy behind glass at Zonko's, was that at Zonko's or WWW in the films. And what is that statue supposed to be selling? Should we assume that is going to WWW too?

As Sage of Time said it's actually in Honeydukes and it sells Clippy Clip Hair Clippings.

4712217028_bf5488035d.jpg
5428157031_5265b04f95.jpg

Last edited:
This was probably mentioned before, but how intense will Escape from Gringotts be? Will it drop? It is described as being less intense and more family friendly than Forbidden Journey and that does not drop.

I hope they are able to make Knockturn Alley dark enough that you truly cannot see the ceiling. I absolutely love the E.T. queue, but I have to exercise an incredible amount of self control not to look straight up.:lol: I hate catching a glimpse of the ceiling.

This was probably mentioned before, but how intense will Escape from Gringotts be? Will it drop? It is described as being less intense and more family friendly than Forbidden Journey and that does not drop.

Just as Spiderman was a game changer, and so was FJ, expect that kind of from Gringotts. Is it more intense than FJ? I would say the ride profile no - seeing as everyone gets a little motion sickness on FJ - But overall experience, I see Diagon being better all around and just incredibly executed.

If they get this right and Kong follows up to be the next game changer with its indoor/outdoor elements, abduction and additional scene, I'll expect many other company/production studios to come forward wanting such a ride experience for their own IP's at UNI parks

Food for thought: I spoke with someone in the biz regarding the Eros fountain going in front of the Wyndham, showing him the original in London. He estimated that it would cost at least $50-$60K to reproduce in composite fiberglass. One reason he spoke of was the amount of silicone it would take to create the molds.

With that in mind, imagine how much the facade of Wyndham cost! :stunned:

Finally caught up had to go through about 25 pages but my mind = blown wow is all I can say...... Also thanks or all the amazing people and their astounding sleuthing skills to pick up a lot of things that may have been overlooked :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.