Woman Robbed at Islands of Adventure | Inside Universal Forums

Woman Robbed at Islands of Adventure

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Mar 26, 2008
NEST
Shocking.
ORLANDO, Fla. — Orlando police are investigating a woman's claim that she was robbed while at Universal Studios on Sunday.
Patricia Murphy, 49, of Orlando, said the robbery happened in a woman's restroom at Islands of Adventure about 5 p.m.
Murphy said the attacker was another woman who cut her in the hand and leg, either with a box cutter or switch blade.
Police said Murphy had cuts on her right wrist and index finger and on her right leg. The robber got away with about $50, police said.
“It’s kind of scary,” said park goer John Ruiz. “I'm just hoping it doesn't happen to anybody else while they're here.”
Police are not releasing any other information in the case.

via WFTV.com

Is this an isolated incident? Does security do a good enough checking bags? Should guests be checked harder? Even during non-HHN days with metal detectors? What do you think?

Is this an isolated incident? Does security do a good enough checking bags? Should guests be checked harder? Even during non-HHN days with metal detectors? What do you think?

They don't do good enough, but they never will. The people that want to will always find a way.

I've always thought the metal detectors should be a permanent thing. To many crazy people in this world.

First, I'd like to wait and see if there's anything legitimate to the story.

Secondly, even if this person's bag was checked thoroughly, you can get a box cutter into the park in a pocket.

I'm going to assume this is an isolated incident, if it is legitimate.

Well I can tell you yesterday security at Citywalk barely checked my backpack, only checking one compartment and not even doing that thoroughly.

I could've easily brought a decent sized knife or other weapon into the parks.

Sometimes the bag checkers seem to do it mostly for show. When I went, the woman rifled through my bag while looking at other people in line.

This sounds like a total fraud to me. Why would someone pay $80 to get into a theme park to steal $50? There are cameras aimed everywhere in the parks. Plus, there are VERY few theme park bathrooms that aren't occupied to some degree every single minute of the day.

This sounds like a total fraud to me. Why would someone pay $80 to get into a theme park to steal $50? There are cameras aimed everywhere in the parks. Plus, there are VERY few theme park bathrooms that aren't occupied to some degree every single minute of the day.

My thoughts exactly. Very fishy story.

My 'bull****' flag went up, but we simply don't know enough, yet. I wonder if they found any razor blades in the trash and could finger print it...

Doesn't seem that fishy of a story to me.

The person doing the crime is more likely to be an AP holder than a "regular" tourist paying full price for a ticket, and you can get small weapons (knives especially) into the park during normal hours without the slightest problem if you're wearing cargo shorts. A lot of "thugs" and wannabes in cities like Orlando typically carry a weapon on them at all times, so that's not going to be a rarity (heck, the "thugs"/wannabes in the small farm town I used to live in carried knives and pulled them on people on a fairly regular basis during local fairs and such). This time of the year, it isn't hard to be alone in a restroom for a few minutes (all it takes), and in some more "out of the way" or "hidden" restrooms I've found myself alone for more than a few minutes during the off season. The lady had cuts on her where she says the attacker slashed her, so unless she cut herself, I don't see much "fish" in this story. From personal experience and what I know, seems pretty plausible.

Regular or expected, certainly not. But possible, and I'm not going to write it off that quickly.

Regular or expected, certainly not. But possible, and I'm not going to write it off that quickly.

I do agree that writing anything off immediately is a bad idea.

But to act as a devil's advocate here, for all the places to go to rob someone, why Islands of Adventure? Someone will spent $165 on an AP to rob someone for $50? More like a TM Guest Pass IMHO. Also what about parking? I don't know many criminals that are willing to drop $20 on parking to rob someone. Plus what about the getaway. You have to go through the park, through City Walk, and all the way through the parking garage. Sure morons who rob probably aren't smart enough to think that through.

I think there are signs that this could be here cutting herself to sue Universal, or an actual mugging. Who knows, there's not enough information, and I fully trust that the Orlando Police are on top of this; nothing is worse for tourism than lack of perceived safety.

But if its an AP holder like I would guess if it actually happened, I doubt they got it just to rob someone of $50, this is likely just the first time violence was "required" by the perp (probably pick-pocketed every now and then, intimidated some cash out of foreign tourists, those kinds of things that will generally go unreported or fly under the media radar), or they were bored and wanted some extra excitement. There's a lot of possibilities, and I'm not willing to call it fishy yet. If they had mentioned they found a blade on the "victim," then I'd be writing it off as fishy.

No, there is plenty of security. Americans are obsessed with the idea of treating everyone like criminals, and that should not be the case at a theme park. Based on the vast mounts of people who visit each year, there are bound to be a few isolated incidents.

No, there is plenty of security. Americans are obsessed with the idea of treating everyone like criminals, and that should not be the case at a theme park. Based on the vast mounts of people who visit each year, there are bound to be a few isolated incidents.

You speak for all Americans? :shifty:

:blah:

you really should not be taking pictures on rides. there are rules for a reason.