X-Men: Days of Future Past | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

X-Men: Days of Future Past

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/128876-bryan-singer-on-x-men-first-class

Singer definitely states that First Class is a prequel, not a reboot, so there you go. Continuity issues have nowhere to hide. As far as "minor detail's" go, McCoy being human-turned-Beast in a prequel only to be human-turned-Beast between X2 and X3 isn't minor. That's a pretty substantial and jarring error. Nor that fact that Mystic and X's deeply rooted relationship is never mentioned again in the future (she becomes instead your standard 'hot girl, martial artsy side-kick.' And again, Magneto going from borderline genius to angry thief is a pretty big leap backwards for his character. Of course there were several other instances of lame that I previously mentioned so I'll spare you a full repost. In the end I guess we just differ in what's "minor" and what isn't. I'll probably see the sequel at the very least to have an opinion. I didn't hate First Class, just thought it was vastly overrated. I will hand you though that the Cuban Missile Crisis was a very welcomed change of scenery.

Don't care of logistics, I want it.

Over at Ain't it Cool News they're reporting a rumor about what Fox is cooking up for the X-men.

One of my little birds Weapon X recently dropped me some information that 20th Century Fox had recently registered the title DAYS OF FUTURE PAST with the MPAA Title Registration Bureau.

You beat me to it, Briman!

My head may literally explode if this is a DOFP movie. by far one of the best X-Men stories out there, and could help rectify any wonky continuity people complain about.

Plus, we can get Wolverine and Kitty into the movie. I really, really hope it's true.

My head may literally explode if this is a DOFP movie. by far one of the best X-Men stories out there, and could help rectify any wonky continuity people complain about.

Plus, we can get Wolverine and Kitty into the movie. I really, really hope it's true.

or better yet, give X-Men the "Star Trek" treatment allowing them to break movie canon.

Holy crap! THIS^^^ Love that storyline, Love justification for continuity errors, and LOVE team Wolvie/Pryde! Maybe we'll get a fourth Kitty actress :p

iRDGRUbypl0jA.gif

From Deadline

Matthew Vaughn Won’t Direct ‘X-Men: First Class 2′; Will Bryan Singer Replace Him?
EXCLUSIVE: Matthew Vaughn has decided not to direct the sequel to 20th Century Fox‘s hit spinoff X-Men: First Class. Ready for the next shocker? Atop the studio’s replacement short list is Bryan Singer, who launched the X-Men feature franchise with the first two superb films and who has been a guiding influence in this spinoff by writing the treatment and producing. If this works out, Singer and Vaughn would essentially be switching roles. Vaughn, who wrote the treatment for the sequel for X-Men: Days Of Future Past that was scripted by Simon Kinberg, would step back to produce the film with Kinberg and Lauren Shuler Donner.

Vaughn will do another film for Fox, and I’m hearing it will be the drama Secret Service, an adaptation of the Mark Millar comic book series that Vaughn has been working on with the author.

Fox already has the script for X-Men: Days Of Future Past, and set to return is Fox’s First Class cast that includes Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy and Jennifer Lawrence. Fox hopes to make the July 18, 2014 release date it set for the sequel, but it will have to find a director quickly. I’m not exactly sure why Vaughn is bowing out, but he is pretty picky on projects that he directs. You’ll recall that he briefly bowed out of the original First Class film, prompting Fox to start a search before he changed his mind and returned. Vaughn also passed on directing the sequel to his Kick-Ass film, entrusting the job to Jeff Wadlow. Wadlow is shooting Kick-Ass 2: Balls To The Wall right now with Aaron Johnson and Chloe Moretz.

The studio just navigated a similar situation when Rupert Wyatt decided not to come back and direct the sequel to Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes. The studio had a cream of the crop group of directors waiting to take Wyatt’s place, and the search ended when Fox’s top choice, Cloverfield helmer Matt Reeves, committed to the job.

Fox has been trying to up the pedigree of directors who make films at the studio, and bringing back Singer while keeping Vaughn in the fold would be a pretty good feat. The studio did not immediately comment but I’ll update my story when I have more information. Singer’s next film is Jack The Giant Killer for New Line.

Last edited:
It might not be too bad if Singer does it; Vaughn's still on as Producer and is writing the script. And while Singer has made some bad stuff (like Superman Returns), X2 is still a great film. And even the action scenes in Superman Returns weren't that bad. And he was a producer on First Class.. maybe it's just me but it's not the end of the world and seems like it would be really hard to screw this up completely. He's not Brett Ratner.

Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, Hugh Jackman, and other original trilogy actors have been approached to reprise their roles.

Casting news:

Patrick Stewart (Professor X), Ian McKellen (Magneto), Hugh Jackman (Wolverine), Anna Paquin (Rogue), Ellen Page (Kitty Pryde), and Shawn Ashmore (Iceman) are cast members of the original trilogy who are confirmed to reprise their roles in Bryan Singer's X-Men: Days of Future Past. The film also stars X-Men: First Class actors James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult.

From Empire

Bryan Singer On Days Of Future Past
'It's epic' promises the X-Men director

In the new issue of Empire magazine we spoke to Bryan Singer about the work he's doing on X-Men: Days Of Future Past, and he had a few tidbits to give us on what's in store for his prequel-sequel. "It's epic. I don't think people realise how big this movie's going to be. We get to bring both casts together."

But, Singer assures us, it's still going to be coherent. "We've cracked it in a way that it makes sense. I had a two-hour conversation with James Cameron about time travel, string theory, multiverses and all that. You have to create your rules and stick wtih them. That's why Terminator and Back To The Future work so well. And there are certain mechanisms in X-Men, certain powers, perceptions and characters, that make this possible."

Start speculating now on which powers and which characters he means by that! His answer might depend on how closely he's sticking to the original comic.

"It has a lot of aspects of the comic. The actual comic of Days Of Future Past had a whole ton of stuff going on, so it’s like any of these things; you have to distill it. But I think the fans will be pleased that some of the most exciting parts of Days Of Future Past are going to be connected to this movie."

We also asked how much attention he's paying to the other X-movies, which have at this point created a somewhat tangled chronological web. "I’m taking into account every movie – I’m not just grabbing my first two movies and First Class and smashing them together. I’m taking into account the entire universe as it’s been laid out so far on the screen, and really respecting it and trying to work with that. People took things in various directions, so there’s some clean-up. But ultimately I’m not just ignoring them either."

Singer assured fans that he will be making his casting announcements directly on his Twitter account, as we saw this weekend with the news that Shawn Ashmore, Anna Paquin and Ellen Page are returning. "I’ll be using Twitter as an avenue. I think Twitter is an amazing thing. Very often something gets out there in the rumour-sphere, and people start building up an impression of something that might not be right. So what I want to do is just little by little drop out whatever information is official."

Finally, we asked if there'd be a repeat of First Class' terrific use of the PG-13 F-bomb. "We’re going to have another one in this one. We have another one coming up!"

X-Men: Days Of Future Past is due onscreens on July 18, 2014, with shooting set to start soon. For more from Singer and a huge amount on The Wolverine, due July 26 this year, pick up the new issue of Empire on Thursday.

Mark Millar told SFX.....

“I don’t really want to give too much away but the Sentinels are a big feature of this story. They will be cool and this will deliver on all of the teasers. We’ve all been waiting for this ever since X-Men: The Last Stand showed us one of their heads. Now it is finally coming, and we only have to pay ten quid to see it in the cinema whereas they’re having to pay $100 million to deliver it. So I’m delighted [laughs].”

CBM posted a casting call that reveals that, "Most of the film takes place in 1973."

ikSKgj0NOaE20.png

Talking to MTV, director Bryan Singer spoke about CG characters and the Storm character's chances of showing up.

'X-Men' Director Unsure Of Halle Berry's Future In 'Days Of Future Past'
Bryan Singer spoke about bringing two groups of mutants together for "First Class" sequel.

Bryan Singer is quite the busy man. Not only does the director have "Jack the Giant Slayer" in theaters next month, but he's in the heat of developing his big return to the world of mutants, "X-Men: Days of Future Past." When MTV News' Josh Horowitz hopped on the phone with Singer, the two looked ahead to what the "X-Men: First Class" follow-up would have in store for fans.

Though Singer acted only as producer on "First Class," he opted to step in when the original director, Matthew Vaughn, declined helming the sequel. That decision came during post-production on "Jack," so it might not come as a surprise that Singer is considering taking things he learned from the computer-animated giants with him to "X-Men."

While speaking about the gigantic antagonists of "Jack," Singer touched on the merits of full-CGI characters. "A CG Nick Hoult or a CG Ewan McGregor, maybe 20 years from now might be perfect, but it's a little tough on the eyes when it's not real," he said. "But I definitely want to use this technology again, and I might even be using some of it in a different way in 'X-Men.' I don't want to say how, yet, but I'm definitely using some of this technology on 'X-Men,' which I never used in any of the other 'X-Men' films.

When pressed on whether Singer was considering including a fully CG character in "Days of Future Past," he said "yes," but that it was too early to say more.

He'll likely have his hands full enough with the human characters in the next "X-Men" movie, with cast members from "First Class" and the original trilogy returning. Such a big cast, which includes Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart, might spark questions about whether the "First Class" leads would hold onto the spotlight, but Singer said that the story is built to accommodate that many characters.

"I don't want to say [who the protagonists are] yet, or talk about that yet, but I will say that every character has a very important function in the story," Singer said. "The story is designed and catered to the combined cast. It's not just throwing in people to occupy the screen, occupy the billboards. The story 'Days of Future Past,' and our version of 'Days of Future Past' is geared very much toward the mass cast and all their relationships and all their foibles and their achievements."

With so many characters from the original trilogy returning, fans have been shocked not to see Halle Berry's name yet. Storm survived Brett Ratner's "The Last Stand," but a return has yet to be confirmed. Singer said that an appearance from Storm is still up in the air. "I can't say. I don't know yet. And it's not necessarily a deal making aspect at all," he said. "I want to make sure it'll make sense. But I love working with her."

Last edited:
Casting news from Deadline....

Bryan Singer Eyes Peter Dinklage For ‘X-Men: Days Of Future Past’

iq7iNKbrilA5J.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: For X-Men: Days Of Future Past, director Bryan Singer has assembled a collision of his original X-Men cast with returnees from X-Men First Class, but here’s an intriguing development: I hear he’s bringing in Game Of Thrones star Peter Dinklage into the mix for a key role. Dinklage won an Emmy for his work as Tyrion Lannister, arguably the only sane member of that sordid royal clan. Singer has become infatuated with announcing cast via Twitter (he’s got everyone from Jennifer Lawrence to Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen and James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender in the mix), but I’ll try to find out what role Dinklage will play.

Early speculation has revealed that most believe Dinklage will play Puck. Character origin story from Comic Vine....

Born in the early 1900′s, Eugene Milton Judd, or just “Judd” to his friends, was a soldier of fortune who traveled the world, having adventures. On one of these early adventures, he attempted to attain the ‘Black Blade of Raazer”, a mystical blade which, unbeknownst to Judd, contained the spirit of an evil being named Raazer. Upon accidentally releasing Raazer, Judd found the only way to defeat him was to absorb the spirit of Raazer into his body. This had the effect of changing the seven-foot Judd into a 3’6″ dwarf, although he retained the full strength and agility of the formerly giant bullfighter and athlete; the demon’s presence also stopped him from aging. Containing the evil being also caused Judd great pain on a constant basis.

ibqdbUb25h8hsJ.jpg

Additionally, in an interview with Collider, director Bryan Singer discussed the scale of the film, filming in 3D, the time period(s) involved, an appearance by Richard Nixon, the massive amount of returning cast members, and coming on to direct after Matthew Vaughn left the project.....

Bryan Singer Talks X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST; Says It Will Be the Biggest Film He’s Ever Made and Reveals Richard Nixon Is a Character

With the critical and commercial success of director Mathew Vaughn’s 2011’s X-Men: First Class, the X-Men franchise had been sufficiently revitalized and fans were eager to see more of the First Class characters in a sequel. Though it would have been easy for 20th Century Fox to simply continue the story in the 1970s as we follow the rift between Michael Fassbender’s Magneto and James McAvoy’s Professor X, the studio is taking a more ambitious approach to the follow-up. X-Men and X2 director Bryan Singer is onboard to direct X-Men: Days of Future Past, and the film’s story will follow the comics arc of the same name that involves time travel and dystopian futures, with a number of past actors from the X-Men franchise reprising their roles.

Steve recently spoke with Singer in anticipation of the director’s upcoming fantasy adventure Jack the Giant Slayer, and the filmmaker talked at length about X-Men: Days of Future Past, revealing that filming will take place from April to October of this year and talking about how he assembled the giant cast and how he came to replace Vaughn as director. Singer also revealed that he’ll be shooting the movie in 3D (not at 48 fps), Richard Nixon is a character, and it will be the biggest movie he’s ever made.

Steve first asked Singer if he knew their shooting dates yet, and the director revealed that Days of Future Past will have a very long production schedule:

“I start shooting April 15th in Montreal, probably until October. It’s a big movie. It’ll be the biggest movie I’ve ever made.”

The director went on to confirm that he’ll be shooting the film in native 3D but not in 48 frames per second (or “high frame rate”), and talked a bit about adapting such a beloved comics arc:

“Well you have to capture the essence of those stories, and if you try to do every single detail that’s in this story, that can be too much for a movie. But if you can grab the essence of that story and those characters, and then realize it’s a movie it’s not a comic book so there are certain parameters that are different, it’ll still be satisfying to fans and non-fans.”

Previous reports pegged the film’s timeline as taking place in the 1970s, and Singer confirmed this fact while also revealing that Richard Nixon is a character in the pic:

“Part of it takes place in the 1970s. And Richard Nixon’s in it, that’ll be an interesting casting choice… There’ll also be some more science-fiction-type aspects to the story and, without giving it away, some technology that we haven’t seen yet in the X-Men universe.”

The filmmaker also talked about putting together the film’s massive cast, which mixes the First Class cast members with actors from the earlier X-Men films:

“I got the impression that everyone was kind of excited to come back. The actors from X-Men: First Class are contracted to, but the ones I’ve spoken to are very enthusiastic. Jen’s very excited, I’m with Nick these past few days and he’s excited, and Hugh, Ian, Patrick, Anna—they remember we felt very good about those first two X-Men films back then and I think there’s a good feeling about all of us working together again, and I’m very excited to work with the new cast members as a director as opposed to just a producer.”

Matthew Vaughn was set to direct Days of Future Past for quite some time, but when he abruptly dropped off the project, Singer quickly stepped in to take the helm. The filmmaker talked about making the leap from producer to director while on a working vacation in Hawaii:

“I was on a boat off the coast of Hawaii on a working vacation, I was with John Orloff, the screenwriter of the Battlestar Galactica movie which I’ve had to step away from at the moment, obviously for this, and I was working with him and Jason Taylor who runs my company. We were on a boat and we were doing some work but also relaxing a bit and I had had a drink, so I was a little relaxed, and I didn’t even realize I had phone service so I took the phone out of my pocket and it was a call from Emma Watts at the studio. She just said, ‘Matthew’s not doing the movie, would you like to direct it?’ I wasn’t sure that was actually the case, I thought maybe it was a momentary issue they were having.

I didn’t know what to think, and then [screenwriter] Simon [Kinberg] called me up to prepare me to get the draft, because I needed to get the most recent draft at that point to make that decision. And then Matthew called me the next day and that’s when I realized [it was real], and I said, ‘Are you sure?’ and he was like, ‘Yeah I’m sure,’ and he explained his reasons and I thought, ‘Okay, well I need to get into this.’ So it was a little like, “Oh, okay well now I know what the next year will be.’”