Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Miss Adventure Falls - New Slide at Typhoon Lagoon

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
MOD NOTE: OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED - ‘Miss Fortune Falls’ Attraction Announced Coming to Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon in Spring 2017 « Orlando United

After over a period of ten-eleven years; TWDC is finally going to be investing into one of their waterparks for a new waterslide...and I say this again; ten-eleven years.

Typhoon Lagoon is planning to be having a brand new waterslide north of the park and west of Crush n' Gusher..and that slide; is a family raft ride (with an elevated hill).

New family raft ride planned at Disney World's Typhoon Lagoon - Orlando Sentinel

Thoughts on TWDC finally investing to the waterparks after SO LONG? Is it too little-too late? comment below!

Edit: Richard from OBJ found some site plans for it..

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I don't mind that water parks don't add new rides every 5 years. It doesn't bother one bit. While VB will have an expansion pad, how often do you really think they will add a new slide? To me water parks are a different breed than Theme Parks. People go to them for different reasons and people enjoy them with new or old stuff. There is less innovation with water parks than there is with rides. Things don't look as dated in a water park.

Now on to this. Not sure I fully understand what it will be, but when more information comes out I will judge it. I think they are doing this to compete with VB and I imagine it will open in 2017.

HThere is less innovation with water parks than there is with rides.

Ehhhhhhhhhh. Not sure I agree there. There have been wild jumps in water slide tech and design since Typhoon Lagoon and BB have opened, and the two do look way behind the times. They're great parks, but it's clear they've stagnated horribly.

I agree you don't need to add all the time, but this is only the second addition to the park in 27 years

They're great parks, but it's clear they've stagnated horribly.

And yet they are #1 and #2 worldwide, yes? As long as a water park looks good, I think little things like ease of finding empty lounge chairs go further than having the latest, most advanced slide. I'm with Izzy, it's a different guest mindset.

(Still happy to get a new ride.)

Everyone I talk to love the parks. They talk about how good they are and if you like water parks you need to go. I haven't heard anyone outside of this board say anything negative about either one. Now if you are not a water park person of course you just don't go. But if you are, it seems the people that go, love it. I liked both of them and would go to both again. I think the GP doesn't see them as dated and they go. They had bumps in attendance last year too, so unlike AK and DHS where people visibly see the issues (and talk about them outside this board), I don't see that with the water parks at all.

And yet they are #1 and #2 worldwide, yes? As long as a water park looks good, I think little things like ease of finding empty lounge chairs go further than having the latest, most advanced slide. I'm with Izzy, it's a different guest mindset.

(Still happy to get a new ride.)

Sure, they're 1&2. They're also directly connected to the most popular tourist destination in the world.:lol:

It is a different mind set. But I also think they should be updated more often.

Everyone I talk to love the parks. They talk about how good they are and if you like water parks you need to go. I haven't heard anyone outside of this board say anything negative about either one. Now if you are not a water park person of course you just don't go. But if you are, it seems the people that go, love it. I liked both of them and would go to both again. I think the GP doesn't see them as dated and they go. They had bumps in attendance last year too, so unlike AK and DHS where people visibly see the issues (and talk about them outside this board), I don't see that with the water parks at all.

I said they're great water parks above. But they're great, dated water parks.

I wouldn't exactly say they're dated, they are just what they are. Like, I wouldn't say Pirates of the Caribbean is outdated, you know? TL and BB might not have the newest magnetically propelled slides, etc., but I would actually say they're still way ahead of the curve in terms of theming.

I wouldn't exactly say they're dated, they are just what they are. Like, I wouldn't say Pirates of the Caribbean is outdated, you know? TL and BB might not have the newest magnetically propelled slides, etc., but I would actually say they're still way ahead of the curve in terms of theming.

I'd argue Pirates is old, not dated. It's still an immaculate ride. But I think water slide tech has come so far, and is relatively inexpensive to build, that there's little excuse for them to have not updated the parks more at this point.

I'd argue Pirates is old, not dated. It's still an immaculate ride. But I think water slide tech has come so far, and is relatively inexpensive to build, that there's little excuse for them to have not updated the parks more at this point.

I agree they should be updated more often. I guess there's just something about the Orlando water park market that allows them to remain mostly stagnant.

Magic posted not long ago that WDW filed plans for a family raft ride. So I might not be a slide but actually a water ride. This is actually a good idea... it will be nice to start seeing actual water rides at those type of park... unfortunately for me I can't stand TL, I'd prefer BB for this plan.

Magic posted not long ago that WDW filed plans for a family raft ride. So I might not be a slide but actually a water ride. This is actually a good idea... it will be nice to start seeing actual water rides at those type of park... unfortunately for me I can't stand TL, I'd prefer BB for this plan.

It's a slide. The permits show the footers for the supports. It'll be a raft ride like Teamboat Springs at BB, I'm willing to bet.

When it comes to crappy TL, they need to tear that whole mountain and rebuild it.... BB still good, and it has the better water slide out of their water parks but TL is just gross.

TL is far, far from crappy.
Most be an opinion thing... I know many people loves TL, maybe because it looks tropical? I was born in the Caribbean so, palm trees won't amaze me, but that's not my main concern, my problem is the water slides on the mountain.... really? concrete made slides... they looked ghetto back in the 80's and they still look ghetto now. Their slides are just not good at all... The 1st time I looked at BB mountain, I knew I was gonna have a great day because they actually look like real professional slides and not home made 3rd world country crap. I even took someone that loves water parks to TL for the very 1st time because he has only been to BB.... long story short, we left early, and that was not my choice lol.

I was just at Typhoon Lagoon two weekends ago. And it was great... exactly like I left it 11 years ago, the last time I had a desire to visit when Crush 'N Gusher opened. There IS competition in the Orlando water park market and for days on vacation. The only reason I visited is because traffic was so awful getting into Aquatica that I had to think of a quick alternative. The only allure for most guests is they are able to tack it on to their multi-day tickets for, I kid you not, less than $10 a visit.

exactly like I left it 11 years ago

At the risk of drifting off-topic, there is something to be said for an annual 3-month refurb. Fix the cracks, new paint job, powerwash everything--water parks do not show their age like a 365 park. Even the parking lots look nicer.

At the risk of drifting off-topic, there is something to be said for an annual 3-month refurb. Fix the cracks, new paint job, powerwash everything--water parks do not show their age like a 365 park. Even the parking lots look nicer.

Yes, they age much better. Also, I like BB better, but everyone I talk to I seem to be in the minority there. Also, I don't think a water park puts a real ride in and for one simple reason, money. Water Parks have way lower capacity, attract way lower amounts of people, and therefore their operating and enhancement budget is way lower. Water slides are cheap to put in compared to an actual water ride.

I will go every year to Typhoon for the atmosphere. The wave pool and lazy river is where my mind drifts when I think of a lazy day down a water park.

Water slides in general are overrated. I like them, but not many are really worth multiple rides if there's a queue. I think it's the ride length that does it for me.