Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '17 - Employee Preview Night

also to anyone watching those walkthrough videos on youtube turn you sound down, the guy has a annoying voice and talks through the whole video

From what I've heard from the people I know who went, Saw and ToT were the best houses. Everything else, they said, was terrible.

Not gonna look at pics or vids because spoilers, but are y'all sure the Shinning was amazing? Everyone I know keeps saying Saw is the best and Shinning was black wallapolooza.

From what I've seen Shining had almost no black walls. It was mostly in the hotel and transitioned to the Hedge Maze through a scene in the lobby; in the hedge maze it could be thought of as black walls but aside from that the only bitch blackness I saw was transitioning from 237 to the bathroom.

Not seeing the black walls in Shining from the video. Briefly maybe in the ending. Looked like it flowed well to me

From the bit of video I watched of Saw, it looked like the same thing from 09-10, but less intense, so now that's easily my least anticipated.

Looking back over the better quality videos, it does appear that yes, there are "Exorcist style" black walls, as in "black walls but there are scares in them."

The main stretches are going into the maze, "All work no Play" to Grady twins, Elevator to "Here's Johnny," "Here's Johnny" to Lobby, and in the middle of the hedge maze (This one actually has three separate scares). These are very short bits, mind, and in many videos they're hard to even notice.

Some sections actually appear to have scenic in them (The Redrum door shows up in one section, what looks like a projection shows up at the part between the Elevator and Here's Johnny, etc.)

So on the one hand, black walls, but on the other hand, at least stuff happens in them...

Edit: Same thing (Exorcist style black halls) happens in Insidious (Further?) and in ToT during transition scenes and BoH in one of the rooms.

Edit Edit: BTW Awkward Arsic over on Youtube has excellent footage from last night. Link here:

Awkward Arsic - YouTube

Edit Edit Edit: Neither Eligos 'nor the puppet seem to be in AvED. I'm leaning more and more towards the "This was originally an Evil Dead 2 house" explanation.

Last edited:
I popped up to the Universal store at CityWalk today on my lunch and bought an HHN shirt, and the cashier told me that overall she thought the event was really good this year. ToT was her favorite and Saw was her least favorite.

Yeesh. Reviews are all over the place. Some people say Saw was the worst, some say it was the best. Same with the Shinning. I just want it to be Friday already so I can make a judgement for myself.

Funnily enough, from alot of videos I've seen the quality really does jump around alot. Some videos of the Shining, for example, had no visual effects at the beginning, so it just looked like random pillars in the middle of nowhere. Alot of the scares with Jack are gone too. One poor guy apparently walked out of the emergency exit and missed the entire finale in the hedge. Same thing with Saw; sometimes, there were just pig men everywhere, but on other videos they were nowhere to be seen (timing issues?). BoH and AvED also had this problem.

In fact, the only consistently good house I can find (judging by video quality) is ToT and Insidious.

Funnily enough, from alot of videos I've seen the quality really does jump around alot. Some videos of the Shining, for example, had no visual effects at the beginning, so it just looked like random pillars in the middle of nowhere. Alot of the scares with Jack are gone too. One poor guy apparently walked out of the emergency exit and missed the entire finale in the hedge. Same thing with Saw; sometimes, there were just pig men everywhere, but on other videos they were nowhere to be seen (timing issues?). BoH and AvED also had this problem.

In fact, the only consistently good house I can find (judging by video quality) is ToT and Insidious.
That would explain why the Shinning apparently had black walls. Lots of projections I see. Well, I look forward to seeing it in person!