Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread

Just a general point I'd like to make regarding some of the planning/development which had already gone into Epic Universe:

1) Nintendo is primarily a clone, aside from the DK area (which is a possibility for a USJ phase 2). This had already been planned/developed for USF, so they just needed to move these plans down the road.

2) Berk had been rumored to replace Lost Continent. I believe it's very possible they had solid plans for LC, which were placed on hold, and are being revisited for EU.

3) It was rumored that Ministry of Magic was coming to USF, but had been halted due to EU's Fantastic Beast section. Some speculate that one of the rides will be a retheme of those older plans.

4) One of the rides at Classic Monsters is rumored to be similar to Forbidden Journey, and could even share similarities (regarding story/theme) to an even older Van Helsing concept (which was later redesigned as Forbidden Journey).

Just pointing out that it's very likely a lot of the hard work had already been done years ago, with possible plans/designs they had made for other parks (primarily USF and IOA). It's not as if they had to start from scratch with this.

That being said, no one can argue with how gigantic of a challenge this is and how many potential hurdles stand in their way.

Has there been any movement? I know things were expected to ramp up after the ball dropped.

I don't think we're going to see any major movement for another few months honestly. At least on the physical theme park itself. I believe Alicia said that backstage work will be done first. Vertical likely by end of 2020, which, is essentially a year from now haha. I believe thats the timeline we're looking at however.

Based on how permitting seems to be going, I'm expecting them to go vertical on backstage buildings in Q2 of this year, along with more specific site prep for the theme park areas. I think the park itself will then go vertical in Q3 or Q4, which is what they likely need to stay on track for an early to mid 2023 opening. At the moment the work is probably just more of the same: mass grading and large utility relocation and construction.

It is interesting that the three permits we've seen pop up so far (for things that aren't strictly backstage or roadwork) are for the southern parts of the theme park. Permits related to Nintendo (P904), How to Train Your Dragon (P903), and sections of the hub (P900) have been filed. That's good to see this early in the year.

I'm excited to see actual movement on the ground, but I'm afraid it's just going to be things like pipes and lines being buried for awhile before the fun really starts.

It is interesting that the three permits we've seen pop up so far (for things that aren't strictly backstage or roadwork) are for the southern parts of the theme park. Permits related to Nintendo (P904), How to Train Your Dragon (P903), and sections of the hub (P900) have been filed. That's good to see this early in the year.

I'm excited to see actual movement on the ground, but I'm afraid it's just going to be things like pipes and lines being buried for awhile before the fun really starts.
Not sure how the permits work exactly, is the HTTYD permit similar to the one for SNW, where it outlined the land perfectly? Id be very interested in seeing the HTTYD one and how much it matches up with the concept art.

Right, water, sewage, and electrical will be the first thing that happens.

Not sure how the permits work exactly, is the HTTYD permit similar to the one for SNW, where it outlined the land perfectly? Id be very interested in seeing the HTTYD one and how much it matches up with the concept art.
We would need a public records request to get that answer.

Wasn't there a Nintendo one that we recently just saw?
Yes, and it was obtained through a records request by Coaster Kings:

Yes, and it was obtained through a records request by Coaster Kings:

I see, thanks for the clarification! So..... who's requesting for us for HTTYD? :)

Every time I drive past the site there's so much work gong on! Lots of little signs have appeared at the access roads for the different projects and teams involved. On off of Universal Boulevard appear to be specifically for the staging area for the JP coaster parts.

If you are over 18 and a citizen you can make the request yourself

Good to know. Likely won't do it now, but when I'm in Orlando in April all bets are off :)

Also, curious, how close are we able to drive currently to the new site? Obviously not trying to trespass and I won't have a rental car, but Id love to take a look at the new site if possible. Id assume Convention Center is my best bet?