Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (DHS)

Out of curiosity...have any of you requested pilot when doing the standby line? Do they allow you to request? I feel like it's always been Disney's thing to let you wait for the front row and so forth to insure a "magical experience".

Out of curiosity...have any of you requested pilot when doing the standby line? Do they allow you to request? I feel like it's always been Disney's thing to let you wait for the front row and so forth to insure a "magical experience".
Good question. Stand by I usually get pilot but the occasions I have had other positions I have not asked. You can certainly bargain with your team but to keep the line moving I am sure Disney does not do this.

In my experience, they have always honored pilot requests from the main line past opening-day (when they were very strict). Heck, I even went through the regular line as a single rider and asked to be pilot and they granted my request. I'd say it doesn't hurt to ask :thumbsup:

I’ve requested pilot and engineer before, and received both!

So, I have a dumb question. Well, I have more than one but that is the only one that I'm asking currently. Do you feel like you're moving, aka Star Tours or other simulators? I get that you are playing a video game but how about the actual feeling of the ride?

So, I have a dumb question. Well, I have more than one but that is the only one that I'm asking currently. Do you feel like you're moving, aka Star Tours or other simulators? I get that you are playing a video game but how about the actual feeling of the ride?
There’s a part where you lose power and fall and you definitely feel like you’re falling. The rest is standard simulator movement. Because you’re in control of the minor movements it’s not always as polished feeling as something like Star Tours, but it’s a much higher quality simulator than something you’d find at an arcade for sure.

The best parts for motion are the ones you can’t control. Premade profile moments like light speed, when Chewie lands for you at the end, and the falling in the middle stand out as feeling more interesting to me than other parts. But that’s me.

There’s a part where you lose power and fall and you definitely feel like you’re falling. The rest is standard simulator movement. Because you’re in control of the minor movements it’s not always as polished feeling as something like Star Tours, but it’s a much higher quality simulator than something you’d find at an arcade for sure.

The best parts for motion are the ones you can’t control. Premade profile moments like light speed, when Chewie lands for you at the end, and the falling in the middle stand out as feeling more interesting to me than other parts. But that’s me.

I felt nothing at light speed. And I was pulling the lever. Huge letdown.

Smuggler's Run Review...
My anticipated perceptions of this ride, from what I had read over the months, was that the ride sounded OK but it wasn't something I'd particularly like. I'm not a gamer and I really wasn't enthused about a mutual interactive participation with a cabin of 4 strangers. But I wanted to give the attraction a fair shake so I arranged my schedule so Alene and I could do multiple rides over the course of a few days. I've never been a believer that someone can give a meaningful review with only one or two rides on an attraction. So, we ended up riding 7 times during our vacation, 6 times in stand by and once in single rider. Our actual waits were generally about two thirds of the posted wait times. Our actual times in line ranged from 40 to 65 minutes in standby and our one time in single rider was about 35 minutes. Single rider bypasses almost the entire queue, so there's not much of a queue experience. Following are my bullet point impressions of the ride, but, bottom line, the attraction greatly exceeded my expectations and I liked it very much. It hit the most important theme park metric for me, namely, it was lots of fun, even after many re rides. Alene, who is not a Star Wars fan, actually said the ride was great, so much fun, and she loved it. I had no problems getting her to re ride, which was a big time issue with F&F last year.
*Most of the queue is open and not climate controlled, which is a big negative. It was chilly at DHS the week we visited, and it got very cold in those dark shaded passages of the queue.I'd guess it gets uncomfortably hot in the summer months. The queue theme fits the land well. It has that 'Mad Max' post apocalypse degraded factory/warehouse look. It's not a look I personally care for, but it works well with the GESWL look. I think the Srar Tours Two queue is better and more enjoyable, but that's more my preference space theme look than anything else. The Falcon is, for all intents and purposes, part of this attraction's facade and queue. The Falcon is done just as well as anyone can expect, and it has a myriad of great photo opportunities from the outside and the queue. The Hondo AA show is OK, but not great. It's kind of hit or miss with how much time you get in that area. A few times through we only saw Hondo perform for a few fleeting seconds. The Chess Room is also not much. It's just a small, fairly cramped, overcrowded load area with a space chess table and a few seats. You get rushed through into your waiting cabin area line so quickly that anyone trying to get a photo op sitting in those seats only had a few seconds to do it.
*A tip to those in line. Try your best to not be in line near a family with small kids. The CM's seem to have a tendency to give the in demand 'Pilot' cards to young kids, and on those occasions when they don't, the kid's parents may hound you to switch your 'Pilot' card for the kid's engineer or gunner cards. One parent must have asked Alene a half dozen times if his young daughter could switch her card. The little girl started crying, Alene felt bad for her, and gave her the 'pilot' card. Best to avoid being close to those families if you want a 'Pilot' card, and don't want hassled.
*I absolutely loved the cockpit, and sitting in it. Such a really big plus for realism....and 'fun'.
*As others have said, the position experiences are vastly different, with it basically being Pilot, Gunner, Engineer in that order. Pilot is GREAT but Gunner is pretty good too. Engineer is also fun if you don't overly try to get a real good score, since the buttons light up to hit so much that you can't get your eyes off of them to see and enjoy the ride. Best to just hit a few buttons every now and then for the interactive fun and still enjoy the realism of the flight through space. It was really a lot of fun to 'Pilot' the Falcon. Some have complained about the quality of the screen definition, but it looked fine to me. Most people on our rides basically just did their thing and had fun without being obnoxious and trying to order the other people on what to do. But on one ride we had two twenty something guys evidently piloting for their many multiple times. They were loud, obnoxious and were trying to order the other four of us around on what to do. All four of us just rolled our eyes and basically did the opposite of anything those two jerks wanted us to do.
RATING:
As I've done before I rate an attraction on the "Totality of the Experience". The facade, queue, pre shows get a rating, as does the actual ride
Facade/Queue, Pre Shows Rating: 7 ...It would have been a 5 1/2 , primarily due to most of the queue not being climate controlled. But the Falcon 'is so good' that it brought the total Facade/queue/pre show rating up to a 7 .
The Ride: 8
TOTALITY OF THE ATTRACTION RATING: 7 1/2

Last edited:
Good news, especially that SR & Slinky will be the only Tier One attractions. Everything else is Tier Two.....Finally decent choices in DHS Tier Two.

You can say that again. I'll miss out this time, but it will be nice for our visit in May.

Maybe a year from now they will give us 3 FP options in one day like MK....

Tier 1 - Rise & Railway
Tier 2 - MF & Slinky
Tier 3 - RRC, ToT, TSMM, Star Tours, Alien Saucers

They should have enough rides & attractions to do 3 FPs eventually. Rise, Railway, Slinky & MF in Tier 1.......then chose 2 from Tier 2......TSMM, RRC, ToT, Alien Saucers, Star Tours, Fantastic, etc.

Once everything is up and running to the best of its ability...

Tier 1: Rise of the Resistance, Slinky and Runaway Railroad
Tier 2: Smuggler's Run, Midway Mania, Rockin Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror
Tier 3: Alien Saucers, Star Tours, Fantasmic, etc...

This would give people the option to FP all 3 Toy Story attractions or all 3 of the Star Wars attractions if they chose to do so.

This would give people the option to FP all 3 Toy Story attractions or all 3 of the Star Wars attractions if they chose to do so.

That sounds like the ideal solution.

That sounds like the ideal solution.
No way will Smuggler's Run go down to Tier 2 so fast. It will still be a highly coveted FP for those that can't get a Rise FP. I think SR will join the other 3 in Tier 1 and Tier 2 will include the ones you put down minus SR.