Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney’s 2023 Plans?

Jul 13, 2018
Not sure if this would be more appropriate for the Epic Universe section but...

Bob Chapek's recent ascension to CEO of the company got me thinking that the company must have something for 2023 to counteract the opening of Epic Universe right?

Unless they plan to ride on the coattails of Rat, GotG, and Tron and (maybe) Spaceship Earth.

And by then, it will have been almost seven years since Animal Kingdom got its last major addition.

So, any thoughts? Will 2023 be a no-show for Disney like 2014? Or will they come out with a counterbalancing attraction?

My thoughts are that they will be riding on the coat tails of what is already in the pipeline for a while. Might dress it up some with a new parade or C ticket attraction somewhere.

Last edited:
2023 is the 100th anniversary of the company, too. I wonder how much they'll acknowledge that in the parks.

To go to the question though... I almost expect WDW to sit out 2023 of any big investment and plan for 2024 and beyond. It's not like people won't be coming to Orlando that year with Universal opening a brand new park. It's almost getting late for them to get something announced for 2023 if you consider their usual 2.5-3 year build time for major projects.

Based on the speed at which Disney operates, I'd say if there was going to be anything in 2023 it would be under construction now.

The only thing I can think of that has been coming along for a while is the black box ride.

Honestly I'm starting to think that the Coco ride and the black box ride are one and the same....

Also, if they were to add something, I'd say either a Lion King ride or the rumored Jungle Book Cruise ride utilizing Shanghai Pirates' tech.

I see overlays of existing attractions-- fast and cheap is the Chapek Way!
  • Coco in EPCOT
  • Movie version makeover for Jungle Cruise with The Rock as an animatronic added
  • Indiana Jones makeover for Dinosaur
  • Maybe a new ride like Incredicoaster added to Studios (something new, but cheap by Disney standards).

I see overlays of existing attractions-- fast and cheap is the Chapek Way!
  • Maybe a new ride like Incredicoaster added to Studios (something new, but cheap by Disney standards).
You mean a retheme of RnRC as Incredicoaster...

I don't think Hollywood Studios will add a new coaster when they could possibly get the same ROI by retheming Rock n Roller Coaster to a new IP.

Maybe later down the line, but I think it's going to be rethemes or the replacement of offerings within existing buildings at the park for the next few years.

My guess is nothing that isn't already underway (Disney construction times are at least three years). Beyond that, probably a meet-n-greet with across the board price increases. Also, FP+ will be monetized in some fashion.