Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash (Construction Thread) | Page 49 | Inside Universal Forums

Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash (Construction Thread)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to be a negative Nancy, but how long does a brand like SLOP and minions exist in a theme park if say their respective franchises are not as loved anymore, you can't keep making movies to the point you're milking the cow dry, because, at some point, these franchises are not going to be as popular within the GP, do you keep the attractions around or just start from scratch all over again.
I mean no one really cares much about ratatouille any more yet it’s going in. MIB is still around and not really popular with the GP anymore. Good rides stay around because they are good rides. It’s rides about animals. It will be fine.

I mean no one really cares much about ratatouille any more yet it’s going in. MIB is still around and not really popular with the GP anymore. Good rides stay around because they are good rides. It’s rides about animals. It will be fine.
I get that, I'm just looking over on the side who would find this to be a problem.
Personally I'm glad to see that area of the park receive a new attraction which looks amazing.

Do we think Walking dead will get an entirely new facade to fit pets place or just a repaint/retheme like the rest of baker street?

Not trying to be a negative Nancy, but how long does a brand like SLOP and minions exist in a theme park if say their respective franchises are not as loved anymore, you can't keep making movies to the point you're milking the cow dry, because, at some point, these franchises are not going to be as popular within the GP, do you keep the attractions around or just start from scratch all over again.
Nobody in the general public cares about longevity as long as the attraction is good

Splash Mountain want's to have a word with you.

Also, Pets is based off of something that is incredibly simple, that it won't matter what'll happen. Especially as long as the ride is good, they shouldn't have much to worry about.

Like I stated before, I was only looking Over on the side who would find this a problem, I'm actually excited for this to open up to the GP

Nobody in the general public cares about longevity as long as the attraction is good

cough cough *Waterworld*

But yeah, case in point, Mr. Toad as a movie (The Wind in the Willows) is not necessarily known as beloved classic to the general public, but that ride has been humming along with constant lines since 1955.

And many forget the Matterhorn was inspired/based on the movie "Third Man on the Mountain", which I can imagine virtually nobody has seen in a generation or more.

Many times, a good ride can actually outlive the movie and take on a life of its own.

This does look wayyyyyyy better than I was expecting, and feels like a much better use for the Omnimover than Yoshi, USH lucked out with this.

I know some have talked about this coming to Orlando but based on the cuteness factor I'd say this was an absolute lock for Japan.

This will probably be a huge hit with families. Old tyme classic dark ride,old tyme Disney style. Something you would expect to see as a new hit dark ride in a Disney castle park.....Walt is smiling. :grin: ...and he's probably cursing Chapek for not doing something like this

We are all cursing Chapek ;)

Do we think Walking dead will get an entirely new facade to fit pets place or just a repaint/retheme like the rest of baker street?

I'd imagine just a repaint/retheme for now. Maybe that's all that is needed if this is just going to be a flex space going forwards? :shrug:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog
Like I stated before, I was only looking Over on the side who would find this a problem, I'm actually excited for this to open up to the GP
Universal will find it a "problem" when guest satisfaction dies down and/or sales of merchandising stops. That is the only factor for the longliverty of an attraction (ride or show). Maintenance due to lack of replacement parts could also be one.

cough cough *Waterworld*

But yeah, case in point, Mr. Toad as a movie (The Wind in the Willows) is not necessarily known as beloved classic to the general public, but that ride has been humming along with constant lines since 1955.

And many forget the Matterhorn was inspired/based on the movie "Third Man on the Mountain", which I can imagine virtually nobody has seen in a generation or more.

Many times, a good ride can actually outlive the movie and take on a life of its own.
Third Man on the Mountain inspired Matterhorn as far as when Walt was in Switzerland he sent a post card with a picture of the mountain to WED back home with the simple words “build this” :)

Regarding the movie, while it didn’t do well at the box office this year it was also up against Aladdin for the first two weekends and Toy Story 4 starting on its third weekend. It was never going to do that well with the roster of films Disney put out. And somehow audiences liked it... all I ever heard was that the plot was a meandering mish-mash, but it got a 90% audience score in Rotten Tomatoes. For me, five minutes of a ride with talking dogs overrules how the movie did - if it’s well done, people will ride it.

Not sure Universal has really figured out the main selling point of an Omnimover though. One of the reviews said there are 45 standard ride vehicles (I’m assuming non-standard = ADA), so let’s say there are 50 total. Two per car x 50 cars x 12 laps an hour (five minute ride time) is 1,200 an hour. Scale that down by the time between unload and load, groups with odd numbered parties, and slowing/stopping for people who need time to get in/out and you’re looking at something in the 1,000 an hour range, which is way off what that type of system should be capable of doing. I hope they haven’t slowed the belt way down for the sake of a five minute ride time.

Reactions: Brian G. and Chris
Any idea on how the queue is? ls it some switchback ramps like the Minion's queue or stairs?
Speculated about 20 minutes of queue are available indoors. Talk of the "preshow" is actually built into the queue. There may be a "loitering room" which offers the ability for guests to interact before they choose to enter the ride itself...very much like Jimmy Fallon in Orlando.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Speculated about 20 minutes of queue are available indoors. Talk of the "preshow" is actually built into the queue. There may be a "loitering room" which offers the ability for guests to interact before they choose to enter the ride itself...very much like Jimmy Fallon in Orlando.
Would you surmise that you get a color coded ticket and get called into the ride like Fallon. Or I s it just whenever you are done in the “loitering room” you can continue on to the ride?

Regarding the movie, while it didn’t do well at the box office this year it was also up against Aladdin for the first two weekends and Toy Story 4 starting on its third weekend. It was never going to do that well with the roster of films Disney put out. And somehow audiences liked it... all I ever heard was that the plot was a meandering mish-mash, but it got a 90% audience score in Rotten Tomatoes. For me, five minutes of a ride with talking dogs overrules how the movie did - if it’s well done, people will ride it.

Not sure Universal has really figured out the main selling point of an Omnimover though. One of the reviews said there are 45 standard ride vehicles (I’m assuming non-standard = ADA), so let’s say there are 50 total. Two per car x 50 cars x 12 laps an hour (five minute ride time) is 1,200 an hour. Scale that down by the time between unload and load, groups with odd numbered parties, and slowing/stopping for people who need time to get in/out and you’re looking at something in the 1,000 an hour range, which is way off what that type of system should be capable of doing. I hope they haven’t slowed the belt way down for the sake of a five minute ride time.

Good math! :thumbsup:

While I'd say USH needs all the capacity it can get, I'd also say 1,000 per hour isn't bad for this particular attraction. Based on the richness of the environments, and the interactive element of you being a puppy, maybe a quicker ride would make people feel they have missed out?

Reactions: WaterToWade

People seem to forget, or ignore, that the first film was extremely successful, nearing a billion at the BO; which is very impressive for a non-franchise (at the time) film. While the 2nd film wasn't as successful, making half a billion is still pretty damn good.

But ultimately, you are right. In the simplest of terms, It's a ride about pets and if the ride is great, that's all people will care about.

Reactions: tielo

Thanks for the reply. I was more interested to know how we'd get to the 2nd floor, but it's now been confirmed to be stairs and an elevator (ADA access) that will take us up.

Would you surmise that you get a color coded ticket and get called into the ride like Fallon. Or I s it just whenever you are done in the “loitering room” you can continue on to the ride?

Per audio from the hard hat tour, Jon Corfino said there would be no tickets. It's free-flow so just walk on through whenever you're done exploring.

Good math! :thumbsup:

While I'd say USH needs all the capacity it can get, I'd also say 1,000 per hour isn't bad for this particular attraction. Based on the richness of the environments, and the interactive element of you being a puppy, maybe a quicker ride would make people feel they have missed out?
The bolded bit is what I'm curious to see - the implementation of being in front of a mirror/screen/whatever to create the puppy effect. You don't want that to be a major selling point of the attraction and then dial the speed up to the point where people are flying past it.

My first thought on seeing interior photos was that the ride vehicles aren't very dense (meaning, could have fit 65 on the track instead of 50), which would have helped. It's probably fine for USH (I'll admit I've never been), but if this is something they can drop into Shrek theater in Orlando, they should be aiming to get it to a minimum of 1,500/hour there.

I wonder why they chose to space the vehicles out that much and why they made them so narrow. Also, do we know if the seats rotate because in the recent photos provided they all seem to be facing forward.

Reactions: AstroOwl52
Status
Not open for further replies.