Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread | Page 68 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never attended Orlando’s event, and while maybe it’s “better” in the sense that the budget is bigger and the scope is more expansive, I think it’s hard to make a true qualitative judgement when the context and infrastructure of both parks and both events are so hugely different.

The thing Hollywood has going for it is the working studio atmosphere. Universal Studios is one of the true homes of horror, and even though HHN doesn’t use it to their advantage as often as I’d like, there is still something extremely special about being on the Universal backlot on a Saturday night in October and just being in the HHN atmosphere. Even the most hardened cynics will admit that’s still an incredible feeling, and I feel like it’s something Orlando can’t replicate because it’s just a theme park, and Hollywood is something more.

The other thing is yes, Hollywood HHN is one event among many, and some of those events are equal and occasionally just straight up superior in quality. But to me, that’s fine—in fact, it makes the whole thing even better. Haunts in Southern California (pro and home) are part of an ecosystem. It’s a community that extends to all kinds of different horror-related events and activities throughout the entire year between conventions, film screenings, art galleries, and the list goes on. HHN Hollywood blends itself into that. It’s not the end-all, be-all event like Orlando because it’s part of a bigger culture here, though I think most would agree it’s still the best in town.

Honestly, to me, it seems like HHN Orlando is great for the tourist, but HHN Hollywood is for the purist.

It's an interesting debate to have. I actually agree with pretty much everything you said other than the closing line somehow :lol: You brought up a lot of fantastic points.

I've never experienced HHN Hollywood (yet -- was meant to finally happen this year lol), but after 10 years of doing Orlando, I think the big difference for me seems to be the black wall issue that you all constantly run into. I feel like I have a hard time calling it an event for purists when the houses aren't even 100% fleshed out in their final product. It's an easier concept for a tourist to digest imo. But again, I've never experienced it.

I...would argue the exact opposite to a large extent.
Like I said, Orlando is “glamorous but sterile.” It rides high on existing as the only haunt event in the tourism capital of the world. It doesn’t actually innovate in its scares and techniques when you start looking at the haunting community at a macro-level (uneven floors and crawl spaces were in use for years before they ever showed up at HHN), and it’s assembly-line structure prevents it from accomplishing some of the scariest things I’ve ever seen in houses.

There’s something raw and unbridled that comes from a haunt that scares you by dropping a cinder block on a car hood or a woman dragging herself along the ground (down the same narrow hall you’re walking down). They feel intimate and real. And when SoCal (or the rest of the country’s) haunt community talks about haunt “purism,” it’s referring to that feeling. HHN Hollywood, with its warts, carries that feeling still. It has to to compete in SoCal.

While most haunts in the country have a no-touch rule and strive for the safety of guests and performers alike, HHNO feels safe in a way every other haunt in America doesn’t. That’s what makes it the “tourist” event.

While most haunts in the country have a no-touch rule and strive for the safety of guests and performers alike, HHNO feels safe in a way every other haunt in America doesn’t. That’s what makes it the “tourist” event.
Genuinely curious -- Does HHN Hollywood give that "less safe" vibe in your opinion or are you more referencing other haunts in CA? I've never really viewed Hollywood as any more extreme (outside of the opening scaremonies & some zones) which is partially why I took my time to finally consider booking a trip over there for the event.

Reactions: TheMatador
You know, if the event happens, FANTASTIC. I’m just going to expect no event and hopefully be pleasantly surprised if it does happen. Let’s hope they can twist the city’s arm to reopen and do it “safely”.

Reactions: HydraGen2299
Genuinely curious -- Does HHN Hollywood give that "less safe" vibe in your opinion or are you more referencing other haunts in CA? I've never really viewed Hollywood as any more extreme (outside of the opening scaremonies & some zones) which is partially why I took my time to finally consider booking a trip over there for the event.
Hollywood is a good event. It just needs some improvements but scare-wise people have a good time

I mean, when you compare the layout and certain marketing aspects, that’s just how I see it. Hollywood has always been more IP-dominant and is always the host to the “celebrity goes into house” videos, Ellen appearances, etc.
I think the marketing stuff has more to do with location than the event itself, if that makes sense. Ellen shoots content here because she works here; celebrities attend the event because they can just drive to the park and spend an evening. If those things were true to Orlando, you’d see a lot more of it, I’m a thousand percent sure. They wouldn’t pass up that kind of publicity.

And the IP thing — again, there are lots of haunt events in this area, but HHN is one of the very few that can avail themselves to intellectual property, so they lean on that as a differentiator. In fact, they need to use IPs because if they tried to compete with originals, they’d fail more often than not because the caliber elsewhere is seriously that high. It’s why I always push back on having originals at HHN. Original mazes dilute the quality and uniqueness of the event, but that’s just my opinion, plenty of people disagree.

I will always point to the backlot, too. HHN is partly a celebration of horror, and Universal Studios Hollywood is hallowed ground. Orlando, like I said, is just a theme park. They have amazing resources at their disposal, mostly in the way of available space and infrastructure, but there’s an intangible quality that the movie studio brings to HHN Hollywood.

I think the marketing stuff has more to do with location than the event itself, if that makes sense. Ellen shoots content here because she works here; celebrities attend the event because they can just drive to the park and spend an evening. If those things were true to Orlando, you’d see a lot more of it, I’m a thousand percent sure. They wouldn’t pass up that kind of publicity.

And the IP thing — again, there are lots of haunt events in this area, but HHN is one of the very few that can avail themselves to intellectual property, so they lean on that as a differentiator. In fact, they need to use IPs because if they tried to compete with originals, they’d fail more often than not because the caliber elsewhere is seriously that high. It’s why I always push back on having originals at HHN. Original mazes dilute the quality and uniqueness of the event, but that’s just my opinion, plenty of people disagree.

I will always point to the backlot, too. HHN is partly a celebration of horror, and Universal Studios Hollywood is hallowed ground. Orlando, like I said, is just a theme park. They have amazing resources at their disposal, mostly in the way of available space and infrastructure, but there’s an intangible quality that the movie studio brings to HHN Hollywood.
Fully agree, accept on the point of originals diluting the event.I think variety’s important, but def agree that HHN’s originals have been like C -tier post 2010 Knotts mazes

The thing Hollywood has going for it is the working studio atmosphere. Universal Studios is one of the true homes of horror, and even though HHN doesn’t use it to their advantage as often as I’d like, there is still something extremely special about being on the Universal backlot on a Saturday night in October and just being in the HHN atmosphere. Even the most hardened cynics will admit that’s still an incredible feeling, and I feel like it’s something Orlando can’t replicate because it’s just a theme park, and Hollywood is something more.

Honestly, to me, it seems like HHN Orlando is great for the tourist, but HHN Hollywood is for the purist.

1. I completely agree with the point on the backlot. I wish they could use it more, because they could take horror to the next level.

2. I suppose it's all about preference, but Dark Harbor and Knott's, I think, do a better job of creating a haunting, creative atmosphere.

On a side note, guests go to Orlando's HHN for different reasons. I personally go because of the set design and the detail they infuse into every room. You can tell that love and care(mostly) were put into every set piece, zone and house. That's how it feels when it comes to Knott's as well. It's like going to your favorite "build your own" meal place where the ingredients look fresh and the person making it, smiles and stuffs everything they can into it. When you eat it, there's a more satisfying feeling than when it's busy and some just goes through the motions by adding what you want, but kinda half assed. Same ingredients, but it just tastes better the other way.

Hollywood Haunted Sports(RIP) gave me that feeling. Dark Harbor and subsequently Dark Horizons gave me that feeling. Knott's gives the homegrown/creative feeling and HHN Hollywood gives the "scarier version of Orlando" feeling with no wow factor.

HHN definitely has it's flaws and as a whole, IMO, Howl O Scream is often a grungier, scarier, more creative(when they don't repeat themselves) event than HHN. However, it's like how I feel about Disney vs. Universal. If I was from out of town and I came in once every couple of years, I'd go to Universal for the thrill rides and excitement. However, if I'm owning an annual pass, I'm choosing to Disney. It might be in the water, but Disney offers that unexplainable "warm blanket" feeling that makes me want to go often and just hang out. HHN Orlando(and Knott's) is that for me when it comes to haunts. (I know....weird comparison, but at least someone out there will understand what I mean). Howl O Scream is the "rev up the chainsaw and let's do this" experience for me but it doesn't have the repeat appeal.

Last edited:
Hollywood Haunted Sports(RIP) gave me that feeling. Dark Harbor and subsequently Dark Horizons gave me that feeling. Knott's gives the homegrown/creative feeling and HHN Hollywood gives the "scarier version of Orlando" feeling with no wow factor.

HHN definitely has it's flaws and as a whole, IMO, Howl O Scream is often a grungier, scarier, more creative(when they don't repeat themselves) event than HHN. However, it's like how I feel about Disney vs. Universal. If I was from out of town and I came in once every couple of years, I'd go to Universal for the thrill rides and excitement. However, if I'm owning an annual pass, I'm choosing to Disney. It might be in the water, but Disney offers that unexplainable "warm blanket" feeling that makes me want to go often and just hang out. HHN Orlando(and Knott's) is that for me when it comes to haunts. (I know....weird comparison, but at least someone out there will understand what I mean). Howl O Scream is the "rev up the chainsaw and let's do this" experience for me.
Judging by the whole second paragraph, I think we're on the same page. HOS was my original home haunt before ever experiencing HHN, so everything you said couldn't be more spot-on from my experience. I think that was partially what led me to ask because I view HOS as the "real, raw fear" alternative to HHN Orlando, but HHN Hollywood never really gave me that vibe as an outsider looking in.

I definitely get the Disney comparison as well :lol: Appreciate the take. I definitely look forward to hopefully venturing out for Knotts/HHN Hollywood next year finally.

• Haha
Reactions: Ringwraith
So tell me if (and why) my thought process is faulty. I am being 100% serious. IF Uni had started tearing down the mazes and then did a 180 and started working again, that must mean they know something we don't.

I know from the wedding biz that industries have been fighting hard to show CA they can operate in a covid safe environment and that the state has said: OK if this happens (numbers drop) you can open up with the following guidelines. We know this because Disney has said the state told them they weren't getting guidelines until after July 4th. What they didn't say is that Disney (and other theme park reps) are part of those guideline discussions. So if work stopped and then started again someone at HHN went from "Nope not gonna happen" to "Seems a bit more likely". I mean REAL likely. Uni isn't going to open up halted construction just for a chance at opening. I am guessing they have a pretty good idea that there is strong chance they will be open for business this haunt season.

Reactions: HydraGen2299
I'm a Hollywood guy, but I've been to Orlando's HHN twice. To me, it boils down to two key factors: set design and scareactors. Orlando is undoubtly the best in set desgin, with no black walls in sight unless it's an intentional effect. But Hollywood is much better with scareactors... they're so aggressive, relentless, and in your face way more than Orlando, where the quality is very uneven.

But there's a third factor: the crowd. I personally find the crowd at Hollywood way more engaged with the spirit of the event. There's a very genuine and enthusiastic following for haunts and horror, and I'd say easily 25% or more of the crowds are wearing some sort of horror or Halloween apparel, many of it very clever and original. In Orlando, I saw that level of enthusiasm for Bill & Ted, but not really anywhere else. In Orlando, the energy is more about the HHN event itself, a "see and be seen" vibe (Did you go last yeat? What's your favorite icon?), while Hollywood is more about Halloween, horror, and Hollywood vibe as a whole.

Getting back to how HHN could be pulled off, I do remember that many years ago, Frightdome in Las Vegas ran its mazes in small groups where you followed a guide. If HHN did similar, they could limit and exactly know where other groups are in the house, and could better pace crowd flow. Although one true story: while admiring a set design, I unintentionally fell behind and accidentally went down a wrong turn, where I discovered some scareactors in a break room smoking. One of them just looked up at me and calmly said, "You were supposed to turn left." :lol:

Last edited:
I'm a Hollywood guy, but I've been to Orlando's HHN twice. To me, it boils down to two key factors: set design and scareactors. Orlando is undoubtly the best in set desgin, with no black walls in sight unless it's an intentional effect. But Hollywood is much better with scareactors... they're so aggressive, relentless, and in your face way more than Orlando, where the quality is very uneven.

But there's a third factor: the crowd. I personally find the crowd at Hollywood way more engaged with the spirit of the event. There's a very genuine and enthusiastic following for haunts and horror, and I'd say easily 25% or more of the crowds are wearing some sort of horror or Halloween apparel, many of it very clever and original. In Orlando, I saw that level of enthusiasm for Bill & Ted, but not really anywhere else. In Orlando, the energy is more about the HHN event itself (Did you go last yeat? What's your favorite icon?), while Hollywood is more about Halloween, horror, and Hollywood as a whole.

Getting back to how HHN could be pulled off, I do remember that many years ago, Frightdome in Las Vegas ran its mazes in small groups where you followed a guide. If HHN did similar, they could limit and exactly know where other groups are in the house, and could better pace crowd flow. Although one true story: while admiring a set design, I unintentionally fell behind and accidentally went down a wrong turn, where I discovered some scareactors in a break room smoking. One of them just looked up at me and calmly said, "You were supposed to turn left." :lol:

This kinda hits the nail on the head for me. In Orlando, I like that the actors are acting out scenes and shouting lines, but as a result it kinda feels more rehearsed if you know what I mean? Like they have a set place to be that's safely out of the way, whereas in Hollywood it still feels like people can get close and a little "dangerous," though obviously they can't touch you.

E.G. in their Halloween maze they had a little alcove where Michael stabs Bob, but in Hollywood, Michael attacks you.

This kinda hits the nail on the head for me. In Orlando, I like that the actors are acting out scenes and shouting lines, but as a result it kinda feels more rehearsed if you know what I mean? Like they have a set place to be that's safely out of the way, whereas in Hollywood it still feels like people can get close and a little "dangerous," though obviously they can't touch you.

E.G. in their Halloween maze they had a little alcove where Michael stabs Bob, but in Hollywood, Michael attacks you.
Another example of location making a difference. Los Angeles is brimming with talent. Becoming famous has more to do with luck and privilege than anything else — many “out of work” actors and stunt people are still very talented, and they’re eager for opportunities. And not only that, many specialize in scare acting specifically. Some people can actually make their entire living doing haunts and all the other year-round events that have been popping up. It’s a huge reason why the Us maze was what it was last year—the performers were so capable. I can’t imagine the talent pool is that deep in Orlando, but obviously I could be wrong.

Another example of location making a difference. Los Angeles is brimming with talent. Becoming famous has more to do with luck and privilege than anything else — many “out of work” actors and stunt people are still very talented, and they’re eager for opportunities. And not only that, many specialize in scare acting specifically. Some people can actually make their entire living doing haunts and all the other year-round events that have been popping up. It’s a huge reason why the Us maze was what it was last year—the performers were so capable. I can’t imagine the talent pool is that deep in Orlando, but obviously I could be wrong.

I mean... Jordan Peele agrees with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.