Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 587 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
A lot of people simply don’t know what the hell Animal Crossing is. Younger people do, but when Nintendo has so many better IPs to draw from, I’m not sure why Universal would have any incentive to create anything based on them.

I mean fundamentally outside of Mario, Zelda and Pokemon this is true for just about any other nintendo franchises they can draw from after those, young or old. They certainly aren't making a whole land (or probably even rides) out of metroid, fire emblem or kirby (and how well known or popular any of those are outside of gaming circles is vastly overestimated), and stuff notable like Donkey Kong and Yoshi are already coming under the "Mario" umbrella (Same would go if they consider a Luigi's Mansion down the line). But Idk, again they have put bets on things far less popular, certainly not classic/known by all ages, and potentially much more "flash in the pan", idk how many know what How To Train Your Dragon is or will circa 2025~ and by the time they are considering putting anything in the parks those "Younger People" will likely be in their Early to Late 30s if not 40s anyways. And don't get me wrong if I had a choice of nintendo ip to make a land out of after Pokemon and Zelda, it would be Splatoon, but that's also "too young", "mostly popular in japan" and whatever else.

Last edited:
I don’t see the incentive to dedicate a whole shop to AC when there’s already a Nintendo super store getting built that can encompass all of the merch already. You don’t have to build a dedicated store to hawk plastic figures with RFID chips in them :shrug:
Exactly.

I mean fundamentally outside of Mario, Zelda and Pokemon this is true for just about any other nintendo franchises they can draw from after those, young or old. They certainly aren't making a whole land (or probably even rides) out of metroid, fire emblem or kirby (and how well known or popular any of those are outside of gaming circles is vastly overestimated), and stuff notable like Donkey Kong and Yoshi are already coming under the "Mario" umbrella (Same would go if they consider a Luigi's Mansion down the line). But Idk, again they have put bets on things far less popular, certainly not classic/known by all ages, and potentially much more "flash in the pan", idk how many know what How To Train Your Dragon is or will circa 2025~ and by the time they are considering putting anything in the parks those "Younger People" will likely be in their Early to Late 30s if not 40s anyways. And don't get me wrong if I had a choice of nintendo ip to make a land out of after Pokemon and Zelda, it would be Splatoon, but that's also "too young", "mostly popular in japan" and whatever else.
Ok, but Zelda and Pokémon don’t have a presence yet, so, I don’t see what your argument is.

Reactions: Frogki
Exactly.

Ok, but Zelda and Pokémon don’t have a presence yet, so, I don’t see what your argument is.
That really doesn't do much to alter what I said lol, I think most of the reasons people use for why Animal Crossing (or most ips) shouldn't be built are either meaningless or overthinking things that frankly aren't true (I mostly only cared to correct the inconsistent sales thing) or don't matter (Like your argument it's supposedly only known by younger people). Pokemon and Zelda are the most likely and biggest things next to be built (and i highly doubt they do much beyond those), most hypotheticals or arguments are already based on that fact, it's even what mostly started this line of conversation initially. I don't see what Nintendo Ip *after those are built* even remotely will come close in popularity or wide appeal, or will be "Better IPs to draw from".

I like AC, I’ve played every game since the first one. It really needs to be something like a wing in the Superstore or something like that for the foreseeable future. I think if you’re going down the “less popular Nintendo” panopticon Metroid should be over AC, but LoZ and Pokemon are the big #2 and #3 that have enough public recognition to get adapted into something.

Blue skying it, Nook could be neat, though. From Alicia’s video you could replace the original Kirby playground with AC playground, build Nook corner at Spongebob and an aesthetic Japanese restaurant/bakery where the pizza fries restaurant is now. I just don’t think there’s demand for it.

Reactions: universal_fanatic
Anyways , If there is a Nintendo IP I would want to see, that I think they could make good use of, would have broad appeal, and is from a game with thrills/action, I'd like to see Splatoon. It would make for a nice water ride, some play areas, and a seafood restaurant (which would be unfortunate since I hate seafood). But it's genuinely an IP that's too young and not well enough known to even consider so lol.

I think if you’re going down the “less popular Nintendo” panopticon Metroid should be over AC,
I genuinely don't see what they could do beyond a ride (which would be fine if Universal didn't handle things differently these days). The Metroid universe's atmosphere, amount of named (or cared about) characters, general setting and story doesn't lend itself well to more than say a ride where you are idk helping Samus "catch/kill" metroids leading up to a battle with Ridley or whoever, and that sounds like a ride that would be another MIB affair.

Universal really needs to looking into using Star Fox or Metroid. As something (even as one off attractions). They both provide such a drastic visual difference from nearly everything in both Universal’s and Nintendo’s broader libraries. They’re basically the only “kid” sci-fi properties that provide a range of ride possibilities.

For real, a practical effect-heavy Metroid attraction would be a stellar SFX coaster.

Universal really needs to looking into using Star Fox or Metroid. As something (even as one off attractions). They both provide such a drastic visual difference from nearly everything in both Universal’s and Nintendo’s broader libraries. They’re basically the only “kid” sci-fi properties that provide a range of ride possibilities.

For real, a practical effect-heavy Metroid attraction would be a stellar SFX coaster.
Massive Star Fox B&M wing rider or I'm cancelling my pass

I'm sure we'll have a better understanding of whether a Animal Crossing land or Metroid land is warranted by the time Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario expansions are built (still waiting on that Luigi's Mansion shooter dark ride I know you've designed UC). Metroid is certainly a classic and influential franchisea, yet it has never sold as well. It's like the Mad Max of video game franchises. Hopefully Metroid Prime 4, the increased awareness afforded by the 2010s Internet, Smash Bros, and the indie metroidvania boom can contribute to turning the tides of the Metroid franchise.

Reactions: Palutena
While we all want rides outside the main games.....Universal only has so much space and so much land they want to use on Nintendo IP. Mario...Zelda...Pokemon...Smash (which kinda includes everyone anyway) make sense Luigi's Mansion is a Mario Spin off so I can see that but Metroid/Star Fox/Fire Emblem which all sell fine or well enough I just doubt it.....even DK kinda surprised me but since he is in the Mario Universe makes sense.

I think we won't see anything past Mario/DK for 5 years....then they will pick one other kinda series most likely Pokemon or Zelda (which I'd hedge on Pokemon because its bigger than anything else in the world) then a few years later Zelda or Smash...but sadly doubt we see outside of these series for over ten years and more likely longer if never than that. I think Sadly Covid will push things back a long way. USH wont even have Mario Kart until 2022 (of like a month before it if we are lucky) Florida wont be until 2023 at the earliest and and during these years it going to slowly and hopefully go back to the old business and make them some money to want to add more but remember while Nintendo might get more people in they will also want to add attractions that feature there characters and also more Potter because that also prints money.

While we all want rides outside the main games.....Universal only has so much space and so much land they want to use on Nintendo IP. Mario...Zelda...Pokemon...Smash (which kinda includes everyone anyway) make sense Luigi's Mansion is a Mario Spin off so I can see that but Metroid/Star Fox/Fire Emblem which all sell fine or well enough I just doubt it.....even DK kinda surprised me but since he is in the Mario Universe makes sense.

Smash is popular, but I'm having trouble thinking of what they could do with the property in a theme park. Animal Crossing has a chill / friendly vibe which lends itself to a colorful, slow moving attraction. Metroid has a gritty Alienesque horror vibe which gives multiple attraction options right up UC's alley (re-use of The Mummy's ride system?) Neither would require riders to have previous knowledge of the property and round out the attraction offerings at a park.

What's your thoughts on how Universal would include Smash?

Reactions: Grabnar
Smash is popular, but I'm having trouble thinking of what they could do with the property in a theme park. Animal Crossing has a chill / friendly vibe which lends itself to a colorful, slow moving attraction. Metroid has a gritty Alienesque horror vibe which gives multiple attraction options right up UC's alley (re-use of The Mummy's ride system?) Neither would require riders to have previous knowledge of the property and round out the attraction offerings at a park.

I thought @Alicia had mentioned that UC was looking into the idea of Smash? I could be off kilter, but I thought they're looking at a potential show like experience for it.

When I think Metroid I think next level MIB. Going through Planet Zebes blasting aliens and including boss rooms with Kong like AAs of Kraid and Ridley as the big showstoppers. The other AAs would be more simple.

Reactions: MrBlonde
I wonder if Universal is interested in creating mini-land type concepts for some of the other properties

Example: Fitting a Mini-Metorid or Star Fox Land in the TL theater plot

Personally, I don't see more than a major land in each park personally

I'm also unconvinced about Zelda in IOA

I feel it’s unlikely now but if Hollywood got a second park this is where Zelda and Pokemon could headline, or just one of those, and offer a mini land or just a ride of the other properties to increase the wealth. Until Japan or Hollywood get 2nd parks I think it’ll be difficult literally fitting Nintendo in everywhere.

"You get to race in a Mario Kart race." Awesome.

"Those cool mine cart levels in Donkey Kong? You can ride that." Ok sweet sign me up.

"A stage show Smash Bros." That sounds hella lame and boring.
Puppets (big like HTTYD show tech), projection mapping, and moving sets from Bourne were being discussed I believe. If you were going to do a show for Nintendo, a property that somehow logically combines ALL the franchises works for me.

I haven't heard anything about it in a long while though, so might not have gotten far.

Puppets (big like HTTYD show tech), projection mapping, and moving sets from Bourne were being discussed I believe. If you were going to do a show for Nintendo, a property that somehow logically combines ALL the franchises works for me.

I haven't heard anything about it in a long while though, so might not have gotten far.

I understand how they could do the show but in my mind it just always ends up being slower, less interesting, and not capturing the spirit of the game.

Reactions: Mike S