Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

New Universal Studios Store (2021)

It's the popular choice these days at a store like this - open concept, bright colors, cool atmosphere, light theming. This store reminds me of Uniqlo at Disney Springs a bit and partially like the new World of Disney.
I definitely see the Uniqlo comparison. It's odd. More theming in the parks, less in the stores. Except for the stores in the parks..

We're a weird fanbase, huh?

I definitely see the Uniqlo comparison. It's odd. More theming in the parks, less in the stores. Except for the stores in the parks..

We're a weird fanbase, huh?
I believe they're attempting more "free flow" design with their stores outside the parks

The free flow layout attempts to be sophisticated yet simple in its presentation

Customers feel less rushed in this free flow environments, and merchandise may seem to pop more and seem more interesting, rather than the "store" itself being the interest

Free flow is often really good for small spaces as well, while at the same time creating larger gaps in between items

Although the centralized check out is kind of interesting to me...and I could definitely do without the circular projection screen, perhaps more of a non-descript 'movie-eque' lighting fixture

It seems like they're really pushing in a more interesting direction with the merch being the "design" and the store being more of a gallery style building

At least, that was my impression..I'm only going off of videos I've seen so I could be wrong

In-park (at least at Universal) it looks like they're toying with the "forced-path" style...Essentially a hyper-themed IKEA concept lol...This makes sense for being inside a theme park imo

Last edited:
Universal Orlando has opened the new Universal Studios Store, featuring merchandise of the popular films and characters featured at the resort – including The Simpsons, Marvel, Despicable Me, and more.

I believe they're attempting more "free flow" design with their stores outside the parks

The free flow layout attempts to be sophisticated yet simple in its presentation

Customers feel less rushed in this free flow environments, and merchandise may seem to pop more and seem more interesting, rather than the "store" itself being the interest

Free flow is often really good for small spaces as well, while at the same time creating larger gaps in between items

Although the centralized check out is kind of interesting to me...and I could definitely do without the circular projection screen, perhaps more of a non-descript 'movie-eque' lighting fixture

It seems like they're really pushing in a more interesting direction with the merch being the "design" and the store being more of a gallery style building

At least, that was my impression..I'm only going off of videos I've seen so I could be wrong

In-park (at least at Universal) it looks like they're toying with the "forced-path" style...Essentially a hyper-themed IKEA concept lol...This makes sense for being inside a theme park imo
Can you point out an example of the forced path in the park stores? I'm not seeing it.

Can you point out an example of the forced path in the park stores? I'm not seeing it.
The Tribute Store is the closest example. Basically one continuous path to "follow"

It's such a brilliant concept to take some notes from a walkthrough (haunted house, hyper themed queue) and apply it to a store I hope they do it more

The Tribute Store is the closest example. Basically one continuous path to "follow"

It's such a brilliant concept to take some notes from a walkthrough (haunted house, hyper themed queue) and apply it to a store I hope they do it more
I'm with you now. I was thinking of a forced path in one room and it wasn't working.

I'm with you now. I was thinking of a forced path in one room and it wasn't working.
Yes, I just remember "Ikea" for that particular store style..I hope they try it more in other inventive ways. Pairs well with the "experience" of a theme park.

Across the pond Alton Towers implemented that style with their Wicker Man gift shop..I'm curious as to how it worked out