Peacock (Streaming Service) | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

Peacock (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
All i'm saying is that eventually Peacock is gonna have to get some Premium scripted content. The fact that they have deals for a decent amount of sports stuff and WWE is great, but there's really no reason to have the service currently as far as their content original content goes and The Office only gets you so far.

They do have quite a few scripted television originals, to be fair, and AP Bio is now a Peacock show. I agree it's not enough, but to be honest, they may not want to make large-budgeted features serve as loss leaders for the service. I could totally see Blumhouse creating an exclusive slate of glorified TV movies like they have with Amazon and Hulu, though.

They do have quite a few scripted television originals, to be fair, and AP Bio is now a Peacock show. I agree it's not enough, but to be honest, they may not want to make large-budgeted features serve as loss leaders for the service. I could totally see Blumhouse creating an exclusive slate of glorified TV movies like they have with Amazon and Hulu, though.
I know they have a few scripted shows and AP Bio is great, but i'm talking some HBO level content. Like, it doesn't have to be IP stuff, but Brave New World, and Punky Brewster/Saved By The Bell remakes aren't at the level of even the most standard HBO show like Succession, His Dark Materials, Lovecraft Country, I Know This Much Is True, The Flight Attendant, etc.

That's naming a lot of recent good shows (shows that have aired within the last year or are still airing) without even naming the cream of the crop for what HBO can do. I'm not even saying they need to break the bank, i'm saying they need to make shows that are genuinely great and are must see type of shows.

I agree about Blumhouse though.

I know they have a few scripted shows and AP Bio is great, but i'm talking some HBO level content. Like, it doesn't have to be IP stuff, but Brave New World, and Punky Brewster/Saved By The Bell remakes aren't at the level of even the most standard HBO show like Succession, His Dark Materials, Lovecraft Country, I Know This Much Is True, The Flight Attendant, etc.

That's naming a lot of recent good shows (shows that have aired within the last year or are still airing) without even naming the cream of the crop for what HBO can do. I'm not even saying they need to break the bank, i'm saying they need to make shows that are genuinely great and are must see type of shows.

I agree about Blumhouse though.

The issue is for a lot of those premium shows which be standard HBO produced by Universal Content Productions/Universal Television/NBCInternational Studios, were sold to outside distributors for example, The Act went to Hulu, The Gilded Age is going to HBO, The Last Kingdom is at Netflix, Umbrella Academy is with Netflix. Then add in shows Sky has distribution rights/ownership and half are co-produced by Showtime and HBO so they are on other platforms stateside such as Penny Dreadful, The Third Day, Chernobyl, etc.

Right now Peacock finally at least stating streaming exclusive the best comedy on television "Resident Alien" but they didn't advertise it much that they were the exclusive off-air streamer for the series.

With Susan Rovner on deck, Peacock has started greenlighting a lot of new projects so you will see a huge slew of shows being created for the service.

Not the biggest fan of Peacock's stuff but they, like everyone else, have plenty of premium scripted content coming. There's a Mike Schur (The Good Place) show debuting this month.

What I think this streaming war discussion is obscuring is that a) many marquee series had their productions disrupted by the pandemic and thus movies had to serve as a stopgap b) Disney+ charged a substantial upcharge for many of their Theatrical-to-SVOD movies c) part of the rationale of the Warner Day-and-Date move was Carolyn Blackwood not being confident in their theatrical potential. SVOD really isn't the optimal use for expensive theatrical flicks, especially for a service like Peacock that makes most of its money through advertising, and decisions about what to do with movies slated for theatrical shouldn't be affected by their struggles with original series.

Last edited:
Comcast to Make Peacock Truly Competitive With Netflix and HBO Max ... Maybe | The Motley Fool

It looks like Comcast/NBCU might consider pulling its movies from Netflix and HBO Max in an effort to bolster its own struggling streaming service.
It definitely needs that bolster and they need to get all movies in-house. The service right now is just not appealing as it's library is relatively lackluster, especially on the movie side, and there are no interesting originals.

Right now, I see it as a streaming service aimed squarely at an older crowd. Overall, a sports audience tends to skew older, as does the WWE audience. Their main library titles are sitcoms from the mid-late 2000's, Saturday Night Live, and (i'm looking right now) Bridesmaids, Despicable Me and American Pie as the titles they are pushing on their top banner for movies? Their main originals so far are reboots of old shows in Punky Brewster and Saved By The Bell too, which also is going to skew older for nostalgia purposes. Most of the stuff on here is around 10+ years old or just has an older base, which means that even though they make ad money, they aren't hitting that 18-49 demographic as much as they would probably like to.

I want to like this service, but it just has given me no reason to so they really need to get their stuff off of HBO Max specifically, as that's where their new releases go. Netflix has some library stuff, but they don't get new stuff anymore i'm pretty sure. And that library content and new releases going straight to the service will be a great selling point, but they also need better originals. I know we talked about this the other day so i'll just wait and see what the new stuff looks like, but it's needed.

It definitely needs that bolster and they need to get all movies in-house. The service right now is just not appealing as it's library is relatively lackluster, especially on the movie side, and there are no interesting originals.

Right now, I see it as a streaming service aimed squarely at an older crowd. Overall, a sports audience tends to skew older, as does the WWE audience. Their main library titles are sitcoms from the mid-late 2000's, Saturday Night Live, and (i'm looking right now) Bridesmaids, Despicable Me, and American Pie as the titles they are pushing on their top banner for movies? Their main originals so far are reboots of old shows in Punky Brewster and Saved By The Bell too, which also is going to skew older for nostalgia purposes. Most of the stuff on here is around 10+ years old or just has an older base, which means that even though they make ad money, they aren't hitting that 18-49 demographic as much as they would probably like to.

I want to like this service, but it just has given me no reason to so they really need to get their stuff off of HBO Max specifically, as that's where their new releases go. Netflix has some library stuff, but they don't get new stuff anymore i'm pretty sure. And that library content and new releases going straight to the service will be a great selling point, but they also need better originals. I know we talked about this the other day so i'll just wait and see what the new stuff looks like, but it's needed.

Heck, even Hulu itself is far more appealing than Peacock. I still can't believe Comcast shot itself in the foot by dropping the Fox bid in favor of some foreign pay-TV service (which barely anyone cares about). Peacock is so boring the last time I used it is back was in December whereas I use HBO Max, Disney +, and Netflix constantly (I would have used Hulu too, I just don't have the time to pay for another streaming service atm). Peacock now is a bit mile ahead of Apple TV and Paramount +, but is way behind in the streaming services I mentioned in the previous comment. I see Comcast pulling all of its content from HBO Max would entice WB to pull their content from Peacock as well (such as Harry Potter).

Peacock needs some good stuff, and I mean really good stuff. Maybe air interesting movies originally meant to be in theaters too during this ongoing pandemic. Maybe devote some adult animation too, something which NBCUniversal doesn't have. They need to start being all-in on the service. It doesn't feel like NBCUniversal or ViacomCBS are all in on streaming. If they want to succeed, they have to put in the resources and effort and attract audiences who are vested in Netflix, Disney, and Warner Media, which are all devoted to their streaming enterprises. It amazes me that the bulk of Peacock marketing focuses on sports and The Office. Why they're not positioning it as "NBC + Universal + Dreamworks + ...." Is beyond me. That strategy worked for HBO Max and Paramount +.

Reactions: Nick
Heck, even Hulu itself is far more appealing than Peacock. I still can't believe Comcast shot itself in the foot by dropping the Fox bid in favor of some foreign pay-TV service (which barely anyone cares about). Peacock is so boring the last time I used it is back was in December whereas I use HBO Max, Disney +, and Netflix constantly (I would have used Hulu too, I just don't have the time to pay for another streaming service atm). Peacock now is a bit mile ahead of Apple TV and Paramount +, but is way behind in the streaming services I mentioned in the previous comment. I see Comcast pulling all of its content from HBO Max would entice WB to pull their content from Peacock as well (such as Harry Potter).

Peacock needs some good stuff, and I mean really good stuff. Maybe air interesting movies originally meant to be in theaters too during this ongoing pandemic. Maybe devote some adult animation too, something which NBCUniversal doesn't have. They need to start being all-in on the service. It doesn't feel like NBCUniversal or ViacomCBS are all in on streaming. If they want to succeed, they have to put in the resources and effort and attract audiences who are vested in Netflix, Disney, and Warner Media, which are all devoted to their streaming enterprises. It amazes me that the bulk of Peacock marketing focuses on sports and The Office. Why they're not positioning it as "NBC + Universal + Dreamworks + ...." Is beyond me. That strategy worked for HBO Max and Paramount +.
Peacock is only ahead of something like Apple TV+ because it has more long term potential with their library content (and that gives them an upper hand just because Apple TV has no library content).

However, Apple TV+ has some really good original content between The Morning Show, Dickinson, Defending Jacob, Central Park, Wolfwalkers and Ted Lasso, I would argue they are putting out some of the best stuff on TV right now, which just simply can’t be said for anything on Peacock.

Right now, I see it as a streaming service aimed squarely at an older crowd. Overall, a sports audience tends to skew older, as does the WWE audience. Their main library titles are sitcoms from the mid-late 2000's, Saturday Night Live, and (i'm looking right now) Bridesmaids, Despicable Me and American Pie as the titles they are pushing on their top banner for movies? Their main originals so far are reboots of old shows in Punky Brewster and Saved By The Bell too, which also is going to skew older for nostalgia purposes. Most of the stuff on here is around 10+ years old or just has an older base, which means that even though they make ad money, they aren't hitting that 18-49 demographic as much as they would probably like to.

based on this comment, I’m guessing you didn’t watch the saved by the bell reboot. It was primarily making fun of the old show and targeted way towards Gen Z. Yes the franchise is older but the show was definitely not made for older generation.

Reactions: RevFreako
based on this comment, I’m guessing you didn’t watch the saved by the bell reboot. It was primarily making fun of the old show and targeted way towards Gen Z. Yes the franchise is older but the show was definitely not made for older generation.
I would also take exception that the WWE audience skews older. They are always, always, yes even during the Attitude era, aimed at the 13-to-30 demographic.

To hit back on this comment again.

Punky Brewster did appeal to the older generation but a lot of the programming decisions were made based on the pre launch for Comcast subscribers in which most of the shows watched were the old sitcoms and Yellowstone. Yellowstone is purely a dad show.

Comcast was never going to get Fox. The Murdoch family wanted the Disney stock more than anything else and the share holders for Fox also preferred what Disney was offering more than Comcast. Brian Roberts literally stated that multiple times after Disney closed the deal. The Murdochs never entertained Comcast's offer.

Sky is more than a “foreign pay tv service”, they own 10 production studios and literally co-produced a lot of HBO's top shows which was stated earlier. Again, less of a NBCUniversal issue and more of an international rights issue which is why those shows are on HBO Max and not Peacock. Some which make hugely popularly shows. Bad Wolf did My dark materials, Love Productions the great British bake off and all the spin offs, Jupiter Entertainment is the leading producer of factual series in America (Modern Marvels and Snapped).

As we learned from everything going on distribution deals were made way in advance sometimes 7 to 10 years into the future prior to everyone wanting their own subscription service.

Peacock was never meant to be a Disney+, from day one they literally told everyone that. This simply was to gain value from owned IPs that were not monetized properly through ad revenue (which is why peacock has ads) and to provide something to give to Comcast internet/television subscribers. From day one they stated they were only spending two billion on content a year for the next five years. Do you know how much Disney and WB are spending on content a year? at least five billion so of course they are going to have more diverse content because they are spending more money acquiring talent, shows, and movies.

That sentiment recently changed with Jeff Shell being CEO after Steve Burke leaving which is why you are seeing this huge push into building Peacock into a HBO Max/Disney+ competitor but it still with take time. Hulu deal still has two years until they can pull all content. Finding and maintaining quality ideas take time.

Lastly, you are wrong about NBCUniversal not having adult animation. Universal Television produces and owns distribution rights for Duncanville, Alien News Desk, 22 shows in production into a Michael Schur show for Netflix, and literally all the TZGZ are owned for distribution by NBCUniversal and adult animation. Starting next year, Dreamworks Animation Television plans to get into making adult shows. Rights are complicated. Hindsight is 2020/foresight is slim. Its easy to say what Comcast should've done but no one know how things would play out 4 years ago.

Reactions: RevFreako
I watched the free episode. It didn't appeal to me. Even if it is a great show made for Gen Z, did they watch it? Aside from it's original release, I never saw anything anyone talking about it on social media and I feel like you're sort of missing the point. A Saved By The Bell can be a nice supplementary show. Netflix has about 20 Saved By The Bell-esque shows. But they are their supplementary shows, not their marquee shows. They need something big to pull people in and even if SBTB and Punky Brewster were great (only Punky Brewster seems to have connected with audiences based on Audience RT scores of 56% vs. 80%), you need the hook.

Do a F&F spin-off show or something. Literally ANYTHING. People will come back to a service or pay the premium price for one if they feel they are getting value out of that price. Many people never think twice about paying every month for Netflix because they know there will always be something new to watch. With Peacock, they need that something bad imo.

I would also take exception that the WWE audience skews older. They are always, always, yes even during the Attitude era, aimed at the 13-to-30 demographic.
I would disagree with you based on the fact that everyone I know who still likes WWE (which I know about 5-7 people) is older males in their 30's, 40's or even 50's who grew up with it. Currently, i'm not seeing WWE generating NEW fans like they used to back in the early 2000's when there was a lot of big name wrestlers around and The Rock at his peak WWE career before heading into acting. Now obviously there's some young fans and i'm not denying the appeal of WWE which obviously has a big following or else they WrestleMania wouldn't be such a big deal, however, I just never, ever see people my age (slightly younger than 30) or the people I know that are younger talk about it ever in a conversation. I also hardly ever see it come up on social media (aside from things like WrestleMania), which to me is another tell.

I watched the free episode. It didn't appeal to me. Even if it is a great show made for Gen Z, did they watch it? Aside from it's original release, I never saw anything anyone talking about it on social media and I feel like you're sort of missing the point. A Saved By The Bell can be a nice supplementary show. Netflix has about 20 Saved By The Bell-esque shows. But they are their supplementary shows, not their marquee shows. They need something big to pull people in and even if SBTB and Punky Brewster were great (only Punky Brewster seems to have connected with audiences based on Audience RT scores of 56% vs. 80%), you need the hook.

Do a F&F spin-off show or something. Literally ANYTHING. People will come back to a service or pay the premium price for one if they feel they are getting value out of that price. Many people never think twice about paying every month for Netflix because they know there will always be something new to watch. With Peacock, they need that something bad imo.

I would disagree with you based on the fact that everyone I know who still likes WWE (which I know about 5-7 people) is older males in their 30's, 40's or even 50's who grew up with it. Currently, i'm not seeing WWE generating NEW fans like they used to back in the early 2000's when there was a lot of big name wrestlers around and The Rock at his peak WWE career before heading into acting. Now obviously there's some young fans and i'm not denying the appeal of WWE which obviously has a big following or else they WrestleMania wouldn't be such a big deal, however, I just never, ever see people my age (slightly younger than 30) or the people I know that are younger talk about it ever in a conversation. I also hardly ever see it come up on social media (aside from things like WrestleMania), which to me is another tell.
Respectfully, this isn't an opinion for debate. I acknowledge your anecdote, but I'm talking about, factually, the demographic that the company aims for. How successful they are at any given time can be debated, but ever since the younger McMahon took over, 13-30 male has been the target demo. This gives them an onramp to 18-35, which is the top moneyspending demo - by the time they hit 18, they've hooked who they're going to, by and large.

Respectfully, this isn't an opinion for debate. I acknowledge your anecdote, but I'm talking about, factually, the demographic that the company aims for. How successful they are at any given time can be debated, but ever since the younger McMahon took over, 13-30 male has been the target demo.
Well of course that's their target demo. That's virtually everyone's target demo (either that or 18-49). But my question is are they succeeding at targeting that demographic currently? Is there any numbers on this?

Well of course that's their target demo. That's virtually everyone's target demo. But my question is are they succeeding at targeting that demographic currently? Is there any numbers on this?
Whether they're successful or not is beside my point, but depending on your source, about 40-50 percent of their audience is in that zone, with about 30 percent being over 50 (not their target as they tend to spend the least in terms of advertising dollars, but I don't have to be aiming at you if I'm using a shotgun.)

Whether they're successful or not is beside my point, but depending on your source, about 40-50 percent of their audience is in that zone, with about 30 percent being over 50 (not their target as they tend to spend the least in terms of advertising dollars, but I don't have to be aiming at you if I'm using a shotgun.)
It may be beside your point but if they're succeeding or not has everything to do with my point :lol:

Well of course that's their target demo. That's virtually everyone's target demo (either that or 18-49). But my question is are they succeeding at targeting that demographic currently? Is there any numbers on this?

I found this interesting once you mentioned it (based on my own experience on Twitter), and data a little dated, but Nick, you're not far off.

In 2016, median age median age of WWE fans was 54 (!), up from 33 in 2006 and just 28 in 2000. Gen X and millenials from the Attitude Era sticking around, but not a lot of new fans. Bigger jump in age over that period than even the NHL. Found another article that said among sports, only golf (another NBC staple) and horse-racing (trifecta) have older audiences. (A Study On WWE Viewer Demographics Showed An Interesting Trend)

Found another article comparing AEW to NXT in 2020, NXT has more total viewers but AEW beat it pretty handily in 18 - 49 demo. (Key demo and total audience: What are they and how much do they matter? - Wrestlenomics)

It's hard not to look at this as and not see an aging fanbase.Also, since we do seem to be looking mostly at Attitude Era fans, I wonder how well they will react to some of the more memorable Era content being removed for Peacock.

Reactions: Nick
I found this interesting once you mentioned it (based on my own experience on Twitter), and data a little dated, but Nick, you're not far off.

In 2016, median age median age of WWE fans was 54 (!), up from 33 in 2006 and just 28 in 2000. Gen X and millenials from the Attitude Era sticking around, but not a lot of new fans. Bigger jump in age over that period than even the NHL. Found another article that said among sports, only golf (another NBC staple) and horse-racing (trifecta) have older audiences. (A Study On WWE Viewer Demographics Showed An Interesting Trend)

Found another article comparing AEW to NXT in 2020, NXT has more total viewers but AEW beat it pretty handily in 18 - 49 demo. (Key demo and total audience: What are they and how much do they matter? - Wrestlenomics)

It's hard not to look at this as and not see an aging fanbase.Also, since we do seem to be looking mostly at Attitude Era fans, I wonder how well they will react to some of the more memorable Era content being removed for Peacock.

I don't think word, or at least concern, is really spreading beyond the hardcores, as far as the content being scrubbed. The only cut I would have cared about so far was the Roddy Piper/Bad News Brown promo and match, and that was a popcorn fart. Most of the cuts are probably long overdue, frankly. Anyone saying "Boy, I wish I could see DX doing blackface!" probably has bigger issues to deal with, like crying over Splash Mountain.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne