Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Eternals

So i've heard talk that this movie "has the chance to be the best marvel movie yet" and that it has potential to be an Oscar bait film. We got some stills/quick sizzle released today:

The Eternals feels *different*.
Chloe Zhao agreed to direct the film on the condition that she could really make it feel grounded while also being a fantasy/sci-fi epic.

I’m getting Lord of the Rings trilogy vibes, where they made a great fantasy movie, but it also was nominated for best picture.

China's negative opinion of Chloe Zhao (due to her past comments on China) may keep the movie out of China:

I both liked it and felt incredibly meh? It feels like a Marvel arthouse-style movie, but sadly arthouse isn’t really my thing.

Gotta love the throwaway Avengers reference at the end to let mainstream audiences know “oh hey don’t worry, this is connected too”.

What kind of enthralls me is the visual scale and tone. This might be one of the most beautiful Marvel films in a while, especially when looking at the design of the ship, to the potential of Babylon being used, and the costumes as a whole.

I also appreciate how vague it is at the same time, making me want to talk and speculate. This film can't come soon enough.

I both liked it and felt incredibly meh? It feels like a Marvel arthouse-style movie, but sadly arthouse isn’t really my thing.

Gotta love the throwaway Avengers reference at the end to let mainstream audiences know “oh hey don’t worry, this is connected too”.
What kind of enthralls me is the visual scale and tone. This might be one of the most beautiful Marvel films in a while, especially when looking at the design of the ship, to the potential of Babylon being used, and the costumes as a whole.

I also appreciate how vague it is at the same time, making me want to talk and speculate. This film can't come soon enough.
I’ve heard a lot of chatter surrounding this movie that it’s Marvel’s “best” movie/most poised for a legit Awards Season run. Interested to see if there’s any merit to that.

I don't know how much I love the implication that humanity's accomplishments are the result of aliens showing up thousands of years ago and continuously pushing us.

That's an old science fiction trope I keep hoping will stop being used.

I don't know how much I love the implication that humanity's accomplishments are the result of aliens showing up thousands of years ago and continuously pushing us.

That's an old science fiction trope I keep hoping will stop being used.
It sounds like this is the antithesis though - like they’ve been around observing but only until “now” are they intervening. Which is hilarious because 50% of all life vanishing seems like something to intervene on, but I’m sure Feige has an explanation.

Nice, different look for a Marvel flick but that quip at the end was noooooot delivered well.

EDIT: My main hope is that this movie doesn't flop. The trailer did nothing for me but it looks like they're trying out a different vibe (even if I fully expect it to mostly be second-unit battles by the end).

Last edited: