Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Portofino Bay

Just a few scribbles. All deluxe hotels are at capacity this month (80%). Crowds are very large in parks and long lines for everything. Citywalk resturants are booked solid every night. Tough to get a reservation unless you book in advance.
Some TM,s are saying it's like precovid. While crowded, Uni still seems to be getting good compliance to Covid rules except for spacing in the walkways. Looks like Uni may get long term benefits as to how they have reacted to the situation
The contrast between Universal and Disney right now is insane

Universal is bustling with activity

Just a few scribbles. All deluxe hotels are at capacity this month (80%). Crowds are very large in parks and long lines for everything. Citywalk resturants are booked solid every night. Tough to get a reservation unless you book in advance.
Some TM,s are saying it's like precovid. While crowded, Uni still seems to be getting good compliance to Covid rules except for spacing in the walkways. Looks like Uni may get long term benefits as to how they have reacted to the situation
Hearing from a good friend that Dockside is 100% occupancy all this week.

How quickly do the express lines move now with things filling up to the new limits?

Anyone know if the Opera singers are back? I heard this was suspended during COVID.

We are staying for the first time in late May. These are the details that make the place special.

Ok what's the shortcut from Portofino to City Walk. Google is not helping.
Thanks in advance.

I don't think there is one-- Garden Walk or Boat go the same way.
Yes, that's all I know. The walkway is about 3/4 of a mile and it takes us apx. 15 minutes, depending if we stroll or walk fast. Walking the roadway instead would probably be longer since you have to go through the parking garage.

Ok what's the shortcut from Portofino to City Walk. Google is not helping.
Thanks in advance.
I don't think there is one-- Garden Walk or Boat go the same way.
Yes, that's all I know. The walkway is about 3/4 of a mile and it takes us apx. 15 minutes, depending if we stroll or walk fast. Walking the roadway instead would probably be longer since you have to go through the parking garage.

only option I can think of is to hire a rick-saw to take you down the walking path?

One way we go is as you head towards city walk on the path from Portofino, head straight to the Hard Rock. Cross the road at the light going into Hard Roac and walk through the parkinglot on the right. At the end of the lot there is an opening and walkway which is right in front of the Security Check entering CityWalk near the studios. If, and its a big If, you catch the green light (ok to cross the road quickly). the walk is about 7 to 8 minutes.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but just booked a two night stay doing a Frankenstein method so I could obtain Express Pass the day we are in the park.

June 18-20th
Cabana Bay Friday Night
Islands of Adventure - Saturday
Portofino Saturday Night.
Leave Sunday

General Questions I have....
Can I pick up the Express Pass On Friday Night? Or do I need to go to Portofino on Saturday and pick them up first?
How early is the Hotel "Park Desk" open? - Do all members of the family need to be there?
How far of a walk is it from Portofino to Islands? (assume pretty far! based on the map)
Is "Early Entrance" still for Universal Studios only? or does it now include IOA.
IOA opens at 8am...assume people still line up before 8?

Finally, plan on making mad dash to Velocioaster first thing...? still advised? or should Hagrid still be the first ride?

Thanks!!!!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but just booked a two night stay doing a Frankenstein method so I could obtain Express Pass the day we are in the park.

June 18-20th
Cabana Bay Friday Night
Islands of Adventure - Saturday
Portofino Saturday Night.
Leave Sunday

General Questions I have....
Can I pick up the Express Pass On Friday Night? Or do I need to go to Portofino on Saturday and pick them up first?
How early is the Hotel "Park Desk" open? - Do all members of the family need to be there?
How far of a walk is it from Portofino to Islands? (assume pretty far! based on the map)
Is "Early Entrance" still for Universal Studios only? or does it now include IOA.
IOA opens at 8am...assume people still line up before 8?

Finally, plan on making mad dash to Velocioaster first thing...? still advised? or should Hagrid still be the first ride?

Thanks!!!!
You can check into PBH at 6am on Sat and get your express passes there before park opening. Right now early entry is USF only but it changes often. I’d still prioritize Hagrid’s over Velocicoaster at rope drop.

You can check into PBH at 6am on Sat and get your express passes there before park opening. Right now early entry is USF only but it changes often. I’d still prioritize Hagrid’s over Velocicoaster at rope drop.

do you know if all party members need to be with you to check in for Express? Thinking of doing this while the rest of the family is still getting ready, and they can meet me in front of IOA.

You'll need to drop your luggage off at baggage check till your room is ready but it's worth it for the $2 per bag tip to get express.

You'll need to drop your luggage off at baggage check till your room is ready but it's worth it for the $2 per bag tip to get express.

yeah, will probably do that, wish I didn’t have to switch hotels mid trip, but the pricing on a short notice vacation was ridiculous. Even now I’m still paying more then I wanted to. Express pass for 4 people amounted to $1,100 Alone! So paying $500 for the room is somewhat justified, At least for one night! Lol. Hotel availability was an issue in general as well. Going to be a busy day at the park!

yeah, will probably do that, wish I didn’t have to switch hotels mid trip, but the pricing on a short notice vacation was ridiculous. Even now I’m still paying more then I wanted to. Express pass for 4 people amounted to $1,100 Alone! So paying $500 for the room is somewhat justified, At least for one night! Lol. Hotel availability was an issue in general as well. Going to be a busy day at the park!
Portofino used to be much more reasonable price wise, especially if you got the 6 or 7 day booked discount. But it's prices have jumped more than the other Universal resorts the past few years. That said,
it's still a much better value than any of the Disney deluxe resorts....and you can't beat the Hotel unlimited Express pass. Portofino is a really wonderful resort overall.