Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

I think it easily gets over $1B, but doesn't come close to $2B, which is no shame, especially since I don't think there's any technological tricks for Cameron to use here (we still don't have glasses free 3D according to my knowledge, so...).

You also have to factor in that China absolutely loved the film so much that the movie grossed $60M last year just off a quick re-release.
True, kinda forgot about China.

Also agreed, James Cameron is a sell. This just feels is may be too late? Idk.

I think it easily gets over $1B, but doesn't come close to $2B, which is no shame, especially since I don't think there's any technological tricks for Cameron to use here (we still don't have glasses free 3D according to my knowledge, so...).

You also have to factor in that China absolutely loved the film so much that the movie grossed $60M last year just off a quick re-release.

Yeah, I do feel China is going to be a driving force on the film getting $1B. But with no real notable tech to show off, I feel this is one is gonna' have to rely on its story and characters. The fact that they're bringing back a couple antagonists who were supposedly dead in the first film, including the main one who apparently is going to be the main antagonist for all the sequels doesn't really bode well for me.

Yeah, I do feel China is going to be a driving force on the film getting $1B. But with no real notable tech to show off, I feel this is one is gonna' have to rely on its story and characters. The fact that they're bringing back a couple antagonists who were supposedly dead in the first film, including the main one who apparently is going to be the main antagonist for all the sequels doesn't really bode well for me.
Avatar brought in over $2B internationally, which is why I think $1B is a pretty low barrier for it to pass. Tbh, I think it will be the highest grossing film of the year and many will be caught off guard. People in the film community don't necessarily love it, but this is a film that way more casuals like than you'd ever think. I also think that just the curiosity factor will get many people to go and see the film after 13 years. The film brought in $2.8B Worldwide. Even if it sees a 50% drop in box office performance, it's still at $1.4B.

Hopefully we get a subtitle for the film when the trailer debuts. Supposedly, the trailer will be exclusive to Multiverse of Madness for a specific period of time before being uploaded online officially.

No one (except elite insiders) knows exactly what technological marvels have been cooked up to create these films, what the finished product looks like.

I think we're going to be surprised at what we see. Like the first film, the marvel of the image will drive curiosity, and then James Cameron being a master storyteller and director will keep interest high enough to breeze past $1bn.

A lot of people talk about how perhaps it's been too long since the original 'Avatar' for it to see success, but that still means a lot of people are talking about it.

I'd be surprised if someone like cameron lets a sequel stain his legacy... This man did do Terminator 2, perhaps one of the greatest sequels of all time, if not one of the greatest films of all time.

Avatar 2 is also going to have the Disney marketing machine behind it in full force. Disney’s marketing machine only seems to fail when they don’t have a strong brand to fall back on (Nutcracker, Dumbo). This won’t be the case.

Avatar 2 is also going to have the Disney marketing machine behind it in full force. Disney’s marketing machine only seems to fail when they don’t have a strong brand to fall back on (Nutcracker, Dumbo). This won’t be the case.
The Disney synergy machine is already in effect starting with Multiverse of Madness. The first teaser for the film is playing along with the film exclusively in theaters, meaning it likely isn’t uploaded to YouTube (officially) until about 2-3 weeks after the films releases.

Box office is a different animal these days. Doubt it will make 500 mil.
The box office is recovering for big films and by December it should be pretty much fully back. But I again go back to the point that Avatar made over $2B internationally. Even if that drops off by half or a little more, we're still talking about almost $1B just from international markets and I can easily see $500M domestic at the least.

Also, remember, it will be playing over the Holiday weeks, which is what propelled the original Avatar and latest Spider-Man: No Way Home to big box office numbers.

Disney confirmed the Avatar 2 title at CinemaCon. Trailer in front of Doctor Strange next week as has previously been reported.

Also - Each of these Avatar films will be their own self contained stories that are centered around the Sully family. The films will still connect, but they won't leave us on cliff-hangers or things like that, while still creating a larger world.

Last edited:
Interested to see how the films do without the boost from 3D numbers

We'll see if this Fantastic Beasts
Trust me, James Cameron is going to hype this movie up for 3D viewing and I think from many peoples memories of seeing the first in 3D will definitely help.

I personally plan to see the re-release of Avatar as well as see this film in 3D. If I’m gonna go to the theater to see a film, I want to see it how it’s meant to be seen and people are already praising the 3D from what they saw today.

I haven't seen a movie in 3D (in theaters) since the JURASSIC PARK re-release in 2013.

I will absolutely see this in 3D.
The ultimate experience would be what the audience at the preview got - 4k, 3D, 48fps, Dolby Vision & Atmos. (The only theater I can think of in Orlando that can do that would be Disney Springs theater #1). Its interesting that it was shot at 48fps - Cameron says it helps reduce the headache some people got from 3D. Apparently the full tech version looked stunning, even the old timers, Of course, Cameron was one of the few directors to know how to use 3D (As a window, not to throw things at you).

I haven't seen a movie in 3D (in theaters) since the JURASSIC PARK re-release in 2013.

I will absolutely see this in 3D.
I don’t remember the last time I purposefully went to a movie seeking to see it in 3D. I’ve seen a few here and there thought the years, but anytime post 2013-ish was probably because I didn’t feel like waiting for the next regular showing, or in the case of Endgame, it was just because we wanted to see it on preview night and 3D was all that was available. Endgame was actually a solid movie to see in 3D, although it wasn’t purposefully made for 3D like the Avatar movies are.

So Avatar still looks good...is the remaster just like them going through the film and making it look like a little nicer or replacing full effects?