Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The fact that we're STILL lumping all of Anime together as one cohesive thing is rather irritating

Pokemon seems like it has a decent shot, otherwise,

I don't see anything else having the mass cultural appeal of other properties that Universal would invest in and apply the Potter formula to

I'm not even sure any Anime's would even appear at HHN just yet

I found the thread - New Sci-Fi/Fantasy Hard Ticket Event?
Looks like it came from a rumor/guest survey.

I wouldn't say that strictly means they were looking at an Anime event.

The fact that we're STILL lumping all of Anime together as one cohesive thing is rather irritating

I don't see anything else having the mass cultural appeal of other properties that Universal would invest in and apply the Potter formula to

Agree 1000%

and I say niche not to disparage the genre, because it seems a lot of these pro-Anime discussions comes from trying to validate the genre instead of the logistics of it all. For example, Star Wars is huge here, but I wouldn't expect a theme park land in China. If USJ doesn't even have a permanent attraction for anime, why should we expect one here stateside?

Ironically part of what makes it niche is how dedicated its fanbase is. It seems there are no casual American anime fans, unlike say Star Wars or MCU. And to show it's not a generational thing, my closest analogy would be Gen X/early Millennials with Dr. Who. Clearly niche -- it aired on PBS then BBC America -- but a subset of American nerds obsessed over it. Was a perpetual wish list item for a theme park attraction or at least an HHN house. That said, while there may have been a Fathom events screening or two, never been a major motion picture. Which is probably the bare minimum to be included in UOR.

Ironically part of what makes it niche is how dedicated its fanbase is. It seems there are no casual American anime fans, unlike say Star Wars or MCU. And to show it's not a generational thing, my closest analogy would be Gen X/early Millennials with Dr. Who. Clearly niche -- it aired on PBS then BBC America -- but a subset of American nerds obsessed over it. Was a perpetual wish list item for a theme park attraction or at least an HHN house. That said, while there may have been a Fathom events screening or two, never been a major motion picture. Which is probably the bare minimum to be included in UOR.
Yes, Dr. Who is a good example as well

This brings up another important point for a theme park installation

The property needs to be multi-generational or, forgive the pun, universal in archetype

For instance, my family doesn't know a lot about Attack on Titan or Demon Slayer and I doubt they would ever watch it

But you can be sure if I ask them who Mario is, they'd be able to tell me

Everyone knows he's a hit R&B music sensation with hits like How Do I Breathe and Let Me Love You

And then there is the inevitable HTTYD example, which is really just an extension of the universal "dragon" and "viking" archetype...

Although, the property itself are able to be enjoyed by a multi-generational audience

I'm, again, not sure what anime property checks those boxes

Would a Pokemon attraction/land be based more on the games or the show? I’d think games, so I don’t even know if it really counts as Anime.

Would a Pokemon attraction/land be based more on the games or the show? I’d think games, so I don’t even know if it really counts as Anime.
That's a good point, I'm guessing the games probably

But honestly, if it were to come, I would imagine a lot of it would be Universal Creative original look

Like Pokemon City or something

Same relative aesthetic as MSHI

That's a good point, I'm guessing the games probably

But honestly, if it were to come, I would imagine a lot of it would be Universal Creative original look

Like Pokemon City or something

Same relative aesthetic as MSHI
Hmmmm, since you mentioned it I wonder if Pokemon is a backup replacement for MSHI in the unlikely event of contract issues. I don’t think it would be hard to reskin the attractions besides Spider-Man.

Hmmmm, since you mentioned it I wonder if Pokemon is a backup replacement for MSHI in the unlikely event of contract issues. I don’t think it would be hard to reskin the attractions besides Spider-Man.

With the partnership with Warner Bros, maybe they could reskin it to DC Comics.

It’s one of those things that should happen, but facing way too many roadblocks. Though popular and more so than before, I personally felt there are way too many anti-anime stances from the general public especially from all the political spectrums cause they don’t wanna get offended by any topics that are controversial here, which is one of the factors why US TV networks are afraid to air them on an everyday rotation no matter how popular it is.

Last edited:
It’s one of those things that should happen, but facing way too many roadblocks. Though popular and more so than before, I personally felt there are way too many anti-anime stances from the general public especially from all the political spectrums cause they don’t wanna get offended by any topics that are controversial here, which is one of the factors why US TV networks are afraid to air them on an everyday rotation no matter how popular it is.
Even the original Dragon Ball manga is often censored here, luckily they re-released them uncut.