Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway (Disneyland)

Mice Chat is reporting that VQ will be ditched for Runaway Railway starting TOMORROW! HUZZAH!!!!!

It’s not even been a full month and VQ is already ousted. Thought they would at least wait until right before Toontown reopened.
Man, even Ratatouille had VQ for longer :lol:

Glad that you guys won't have to deal with it anymore though.

It’s a very good D ticket. Good for the park and good for capacity but not a big draw on its own, like Secret Life of Pets at USH

So people aren't treating this new ride like an E ticket? Interesting
It's a ride with very good capacity, so that's part of it. But also, it's tucked at the back of the park and it's also just sort of simple. It's not an E having been on it many times here in Florida. We never had VQ on it here in Orlando. Probably because DHS has so few rides and RotR still had VQ and they didn't want to VQ rides at the same time in the same park. It was never needed, though our ride does draw a line greater than 35 minutes on a more regular basis, as mentioned, it's in a park with far fewer rides and still isn't overwhelmingly popular.

Plopping it in the middle of Disneyland, a park that has an embarrassment of riches as far as ride choices go, it was just never going to be insanely popular. This isn't Rise of the Resistance.

Pulling virtual queue was deeply necessary.

When I went on 2/10, we were boarding group 34. Got the call back at like 8:30am. The queue was completely empty, and vehicles were being dispatched with dozens of empty seats. Later, I decided to purchase individual Lightning Lanes at the end of the night. They were immediately available, and we got in line around 11:50. Despite much of the rest of the park remaining busy (most of the Fantasyland dark rides had significant waits, for example), the queue was once again empty, with vehicles being dispatched half-full. That sort of capacity mismanage is insulting. Now, Runaway Railway will take some pressure off of Rise of the Resistance in the early morning and help fill the void left by a shuttered Indiana Jones (and eventually, Splash Mountain).

In DHS it absolutely is, in Disneyland there’s too much competition imo
I absolutely do not consider it an E at DHS. Even the crowds don't bear it out to be. It has a wait about on par with Ratatouille most days and I consider both to be D-tickets.

Finally got to ride this and I truly loved it. Honestly in my top 10 of the resort, maybe even top 5. The way effects happen and entire rooms change in an instant with such effortlessness is jaw dropping. It was the perfect length and for what it is, a decent amount of thrill. Personally, I prefer it over Rise since with that one, I expect some thrill and it never quite delivers the rush I want from it. Of the two main west coast new rides going head to head though, I gotta edge it out to Mario Kart for the extra element of slightly more thrill and a bit of interactivity.

With that said and comparing it to other attractions out of the way, this ride feels so tailored made to my interests. Just walking up to the queue, I was already giddy. Then entering the theater as a queue was such a genius touch. Honestly, if that was just a walkthrough, I'd love it in itself. Then the screen explosion really blew my mind -- such a simple special effect but done in an effective way that'll leave plenty of kids wondering how it was done -- and I'm sure quite a few adults.

I loved the train aspect in the beginning and how everything goes off the rails. The animation on the walls and the singular characters is wonderfully bright and vivid. On top of the physical elements existing in the ride, everything blends together seamlessly. It is beyond state of the art and I have no idea how they even did some scenes or how they even began to think of how to pull them off -- some stuff is just WILD.

If I had to nitpick, I wish the dancing scene was a variable scene kinda like Radiator Racers with the wheels vs. the paint job. While it's one of my favorite parts of the ride, it does stand out for being so different from everything else and in its own way, feels like a derailment of the derailment itself. If we were to accidentally join another area that did something else and lasted for the same amount of time, that really would give this ride such a neat edge to make it feel like "it's different every time you do it."

Can't wait to do it again and I am very excited for this to join ToonTown's legacy. It fit perfectly aesthetic-wise, it just has the presentational feeling of being fairly new compared to everything else. Hopefully it won't stick out too much for its newness once the land reopens.

Solid 'A' in my book.

Finally got to ride this and I truly loved it. Honestly in my top 10 of the resort, maybe even top 5. The way effects happen and entire rooms change in an instant with such effortlessness is jaw dropping. It was the perfect length and for what it is, a decent amount of thrill. Personally, I prefer it over Rise since with that one, I expect some thrill and it never quite delivers the rush I want from it. Of the two main west coast new rides going head to head though, I gotta edge it out to Mario Kart for the extra element of slightly more thrill and a bit of interactivity.

With that said and comparing it to other attractions out of the way, this ride feels so tailored made to my interests. Just walking up to the queue, I was already giddy. Then entering the theater as a queue was such a genius touch. Honestly, if that was just a walkthrough, I'd love it in itself. Then the screen explosion really blew my mind -- such a simple special effect but done in an effective way that'll leave plenty of kids wondering how it was done -- and I'm sure quite a few adults.

I loved the train aspect in the beginning and how everything goes off the rails. The animation on the walls and the singular characters is wonderfully bright and vivid. On top of the physical elements existing in the ride, everything blends together seamlessly. It is beyond state of the art and I have no idea how they even did some scenes or how they even began to think of how to pull them off -- some stuff is just WILD.

If I had to nitpick, I wish the dancing scene was a variable scene kinda like Radiator Racers with the wheels vs. the paint job. While it's one of my favorite parts of the ride, it does stand out for being so different from everything else and in its own way, feels like a derailment of the derailment itself. If we were to accidentally join another area that did something else and lasted for the same amount of time, that really would give this ride such a neat edge to make it feel like "it's different every time you do it."

Can't wait to do it again and I am very excited for this to join ToonTown's legacy. It fit perfectly aesthetic-wise, it just has the presentational feeling of being fairly new compared to everything else. Hopefully it won't stick out too much for its newness once the land reopens.

Solid 'A' in my book.
I'm looking forward to riding this, multiple times, during my upcoming vacation to WDW. Like you, it seems to be an attraction I would really enjoy. Thanks for the review. :cheers:

Apparently Runaway Railway is closed today due to the media day due new Toontown.

What a crappy move from Disney. You advertise up and down for nearly two months that the ride is open and then you close it without warning on a Saturday when everyone expects it to be open. Whack.

EDIT: The ride will actually open at 1PM today so it won’t be closed for the whole day. Still would’ve been nice to let guests know at the front.

Last edited:
I'll be there for myself in a few weeks (along with a trip to USH for SNW), but I definitely like that this feels like a real land now that it has three rides plus other side experiences such as meet & greets and other things. This land has always felt like an afterthought so i'm glad they gave it a refresh to make it feel a bit more whole. There's quite literally more to do in this land now than in SWGE. With how small Toontown is and how big SWGE is, it's only even more of a let down that SWGE only has two rides.

Last edited: