General Movies & TV Thread | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

General Movies & TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think with a trio like that it could easily be bought by a larger group--but A24 would make a lot of sense if it's piggybacking off of the collaboration of The Idol.

The other thing, albeit in the sense; is how will be different than The Idol--which atleast in my eyes: looks to be tackling exploitation, toxicity and the rise of artists and figures within Hollywood as they try to stand out amongst themselves. Maybe given the nature of the three actors, we might be getting a story on romantic relationships, cheating and how people react to being cheated by?
Abel also does have a pre-existing relationship with A24 from Uncut Gems (although his role was small). Keoghan has a relationship with Searchlight and Disney via Marvel, but he isn’t near the Star that Abel is.

If Abel is a producer, my bet is on this going to A24, but I also think this will be a highly sought after project that will be cheap to make and probably make a decent amount of money.

On the other hand, House Of Gucci, which had Gaga (coming of A Star Is Born in her acting career) among other high profile stars only made $53M and either barely broke even or lost money.

With that in mind, I think a low budget Searchlight film could be best bet. Disney will pony up for film distribution and marketing more than A24 can afford and Searchlight knows how to make award winning/nominated content just as much as A24 does.

Abel also does have a pre-existing relationship with A24 from Uncut Gems (although his role was small). Keoghan has a relationship with Searchlight and Disney via Marvel, but he isn’t near the Star that Abel is.

If Abel is a producer, my bet is on this going to A24, but I also think this will be a highly sought after project that will be cheap to make and probably make a decent amount of money.

Abel is a producer, but interestingly; Jenna Ortega will be executive producing the project. Reza Fahim is additionally co-writing the script alongside Abel and Shults's project.

To probably add more fuel into A24, Reza and Abel co-wrote together The Idol.

Abel is a producer, but interestingly; Jenna Ortega will be executive producing the project. Reza Fahim is additionally co-writing the script alongside Abel and Shults's project.

To probably add more fuel into A24, Reza and Abel co-wrote together The Idol.
Doesn’t necessarily mean A24, just more means Abel enjoyed working with Reza.

I wonder if they’re just going to field offers for the distribution now or if they plan on taking it to Sundance. I’d think the former since we’re talking bigger stars here and there’s more risk involved with Sundance since it puts added pressure on a film to be great in order to get sold.

There are instances though. Jonathan Majors’ upcoming Magazine Dreams went to Sundance and was the talk of the festival before Searchlight bought it. Talk from it lead to Jonathan Majors being considered a way too early 2024 Best Actor candidate.

So Abel's first big acting project is in turmoil. Abel isn't clean in this either as he's an EP on the project and a labeled co-writer.

So Abel's first big acting project is in turmoil. Abel isn't clean in this either as he's an EP on the project and a labeled co-writer.

Would like to bring up that TMZ seems to contradict what Rolling Stones is saying here:

Would like to bring up that TMZ seems to contradict what Rolling Stones is saying here:
I mean... maybe it's just me, but i'm more likely to believe Rolling Stone (who only writes stories worth reporting on) and their supposed 13 sources than TMZ who is more of a gossip website.

Saw Demon Slayer new "movie" in theaters. I read how it fully recaps the last two episodes of last season, so I stopped watching the show so I was ready. My only real complaint was the editing, like I get it, its basically watching TV show episodes on the big screen but just wish the episodes got cut down with the recapping of what just happened 3 seconds again. Besides that the AMC style music videos recapping the first two seasons were great and the animation looked so good on the big screen

It made half as much as the last film but makes sense, its not just after a pandemic and the last film was all new content this only had "one" episode worth of new stuff even if t was an hour worht of new stuff most the action happens in the first half of the film

Scream 5 to me is so bad its good kinda fun film.

Very Meta, has lots of suspense, some fine acting to some of the most over acting of any modern day film.

If you want a fun time with an audience this is your film

Didn't watch the Oscars but the results were some of the best we could have hoped for.

Not my choice for BP and I find it pretty galling that the Academy managed to snub Banshees, TAR and Fabelmans all in one year. Setting aside whatever reservations I had about the movie and whether I preferred the other nominees, however, I'm glad that JLC, Yeoh and the directors of The Death of Dick Long now have an Oscar, and it's probably better in the long-run that a movie so outside the typical wheelhouse can win over the Academy (I argue that a TAR win would've shown the same thing but whatever).

Not my choice for BP and I find it pretty galling that the Academy managed to snub Banshees, TAR and Fabelmans all in one year. Setting aside whatever reservations I had about the movie and whether I preferred the other nominees, however, I'm glad that JLC, Yeoh and the directors of The Death of Dick Long now have an Oscar, and it's probably better in the long-run that a movie so outside the typical wheelhouse can win over the Academy (I argue that a TAR win would've shown the same thing but whatever).
I think Everything is not a snub to the other films but in 20 years.....I can tell you people will remember Everything, Everywhere for a long time because its funny, smartly written and has an amazing cast plus for how good that movie is the budget on its insane

I think Everything is not a snub to the other films but in 20 years.....I can tell you people will remember Everything, Everywhere for a long time because its funny, smartly written and has an amazing cast plus for how good that movie is the budget on its insane

We'll see. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and it's nice seeing a funny, formally inventive movie about an immigrant family break out like this, even if I felt there were some parts that were less successful. I think in particular, its treatment of the experience of being a gay child of immigrants doesn't ring true at all - even when I was watching it for the first time, it just felt too easy, too Hollywood. It's often difficult to predict what'll be remembered in the future; 15 years ago, Slumdog Millionaire had a similarly insane Oscar run, and a year before that, Juno was a similar comedic sensation, but you'd be hardpressed to find people who love and talk about those movies today.

It'll be really interesting to see what all the people involved do after this, and despite not being the biggest fan of this movie, I'm really, really excited for The Daniels' next project. They have a blank check now courtesy of Universal (who now look like geniuses for locking them down in August), and it'll be fascinating to see what's next from them. If Juno or Slumdog are discussed at all in the culture, it's usually in the context of the careers of their filmmakers and actors and how they shifted and evolved and matured as artists after their big zeitgeist moment. I predict The Daniels will be similarly fascinating to examine 20 years down the line, hopefully not just for EEAAO, but for all the crazy and original movies they get to make as a result of its phenomenal success.

(That having been said, my biggest hope after this season is that Todd Field makes another movie, like, now rather than in 15 years).

We'll see. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and it's nice seeing a funny, formally inventive movie about an immigrant family break out like this, even if I felt there were some parts that were less successful. I think in particular, its treatment of the experience of being a gay child of immigrants doesn't ring true at all - even when I was watching it for the first time, it just felt too easy, too Hollywood. It's often difficult to predict what'll be remembered in the future; 15 years ago, Slumdog Millionaire had a similarly insane Oscar run, and a year before that, Juno was a similar comedic sensation, but you'd be hardpressed to find people who love and talk about those movies today.

It'll be really interesting to see what all the people involved do after this, and despite not being the biggest fan of this movie, I'm really, really excited for The Daniels' next project. They have a blank check now courtesy of Universal (who now look like geniuses for locking them down in August), and it'll be fascinating to see what's next from them. If Juno or Slumdog are discussed at all in the culture, it's usually in the context of the careers of their filmmakers and actors and how they shifted and evolved and matured as artists after their big zeitgeist moment. I predict The Daniels will be similarly fascinating to examine 20 years down the line, hopefully not just for EEAAO, but for all the crazy and original movies they get to make as a result of its phenomenal success.

(That having been said, my biggest hope after this season is that Todd Field makes another movie, like, now rather than in 15 years).
Yeah but many times the outcome are easier to see a film that should not have won. Like Hurt Locker, no one talks about. I will argue more people talk about District 9 then Hurt Locker.
This time I feel pretty confident on everything being a classic because the people who love it, do love it and those who dont cool but the fans seem to love showing it to new people which I've done before

I cannot think of a more inconsequential thing than whether or not the Academy cares for a movie. Also I think A24 is Blumhouse for people who call movies films. I won't elaborate further.

Reactions: Legacy
Saw Shazam 2 and while I under stand why its not an amazing film, I think its being really hated on for no reason. I found the heart of the movie very touching and the fight scenes were mostly entertaining. I dont think we get a third film but they set up what I'd be down to see more of.
I think the adult actors did a great job playing as the kids and think besides some of the more corny parts the film is a good sequel and feels very comic book at times and its cool to see the origins of the powers. So for me I'd say if you want a fun action film go see Shazam 2

Reactions: Stonecoldfreak1