2020 Haunted Houses - Reviews & Spoiler Talk | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

2020 Haunted Houses - Reviews & Spoiler Talk

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
After seeing that I wonder what house I walked through? Probably a third more scareactors than on my pass preview. I had seen the boo holes but it didn't feel understaffed on my run through. Now? Looks even better

Yet less than sometimes I've been through, most notably the first goblin is not there.

Here's another full walkthrough vid.

I noticed this while walking through there are just some scares not staffed at all.

I noticed this while walking through there are just some scares not staffed at all.
Only so much they can do working with last minute casting and having it be during the day instead of night, which complicated the availability for many people.

Reactions: JoeCamel
I don't know watching the video Tooth Fairy really just misses the mark for me....amazing start but it gets lost on me...idk I guess I really wanted more tooth/mouth gore/horror and the scares, possibly because of COVID, just is the same over and over....would've much preferred classic drill noises and dentist chairs like Knott's did...maybe I didn't have right expectations? The idea is there...maybe it will grow on me over time but initial go of it I just don't feel it. All that aside I am very happy with what we have and am thankful and so over the moon we have something to enjoy!!! But if judging by my usual HHN critiques/thoughts that is what I have to say about Tooth Fairy, anyone the same? Feel bad hating cause everyone seems to love it

Reactions: Lucky Planet
I don't know watching the video Tooth Fairy really just misses the mark for me....amazing start but it gets lost on me...idk I guess I really wanted more tooth/mouth gore/horror and the scares, possibly because of COVID, just is the same over and over....would've much preferred classic drill noises and dentist chairs like Knott's did...maybe I didn't have right expectations? The idea is there...maybe it will grow on me over time but initial go of it I just don't feel it. All that aside I am very happy with what we have and am thankful and so over the moon we have something to enjoy!!! But if judging by my usual HHN critiques/thoughts that is what I have to say about Tooth Fairy, anyone the same? Feel bad hating cause everyone seems to love it
How about if you think of the fairy flitting around you and throughout the house? That is what it felt like to me with them popping up in so many places. Repetitive? Yes but it worked in this case.

Reactions: rinacee and Rikku
It’s a story-focused rather than scene focused house. As a result, it’s far more grounded in its world and requires more recurring characters.

It’s very different from Knott’s, but you’re not the only person who saw “HHN is doing the Tooth Fairy,” and thought, “They’re copying Knott’s.”

I felt the same in many regards

You really have to do it twice IMO...I liked it better the second time

It felt very much in the same vain of Scary Tales...which also took multiple walkthroughs for me to like (minus 2008)

I would just like to declare that Little [James] Westhorne is a little punk b**ch. He could’ve just given up his teeth, but nooooo, now his house is wrecked and his whole family is dead.

(EDIT: why’d I hear the name “Tommy”? Did I confuse him for the kid on St. Elsewhere?)

Last edited:
After a couple more runs yesterday - Brides is pulling away from Tooth Fairy as my favorite.

The correct choice.

One interesting thing is Universal is also using plexiglass as a misdirect. In one of the rooms of Brides there's six coffins, each with plexiglass on it with a Bride of Dracula in it. Of course, all but one are mannequins with the final being a scare.

The correct choice.

One interesting thing is Universal is also using plexiglass as a misdirect. In one of the rooms of Brides there's six coffins, each with plexiglass on it with a Bride of Dracula in it. Of course, all but one are mannequins with the final being a scare.
They really got me with that. I thought they were all scares - nope, last one caught me off guard.

You’re right, though, Brides is my favorite house of the two, and I’ll definitely be back through it several more times. What can I say? I’m a sucker for the Monsters.

I even got to see my monster-crush (Gill-man) in his lil’ tank. Told him I love him and that I miss him.

Reactions: SeventyOne
After giving it more thought, I kinda am starting to think that Brides really wasn’t that great of a house. It wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t amazing. It had a great cast, great costumes, and great makeup. The facade was gorgeous. But everything else about it really missed the mark for me. It felt basic and kind of boring after a while. Like, with Tooth Fairy, they tried something new and it worked in their favour and it’s now one of my top 3 favorite houses of all time. With Brides though, it just felt like another Horror Nights house. Not bad. Not great. Just fine enough that I walked out and thought “Yeah, that was fun.” I see a ton of praise for Brides though, so can somebody explain what’s so good about it? I really don’t get it.

Having gone through both houses 4 times over the weekend, I felt both houses are honestly solid. If this is just a taste of what's to come for next year (even in pandemic mode), I think the 30th is gonna' be something special here.

Bride of Frankenstein Lives - After Universal Monsters which was one of my favorite houses last year (and downright period), this is a nice spin-off house! The Bride looks really good in Frankenstein's labcoat, and I liked the look of Dracula's Brides and BoF's assistant who I wish I knew what her name is. The set's are really nice, and they get pretty grand at points. The house also has the more unique gags/tricks out of the two, which led to some honestly good scares when they hit. The ones that really stood out to me are...

The dungeon cell where there door can be slid out of the way.
This'll be more effective without the plexiglass, but I saw this scare happen to a couple in front of me and they BOLTED when the BoD threw the door aside.

The Floating Bride in the fog.
I was able to see this effect (and accompanying scares) on my first run through and it's killer, and personally to me it feels very akin to the Floating Mother section in Graveyard Games last year, only this time it's a live actor!

The hallway before the final lab scene -aka- The Vampire Gauntlet.
This hallway, this. friggin. hallway. For me this is where the best scares are in the house so far. The vampire brides I encountered here were giving it their all and I had some very memorable moments in this hall. One time I got hit by all of them and got spun around, that alone was great, but apparently the woman behind me saw the whole thing...and proceeded to do this awkward squat and dash to try avoiding the brides (didn't work.). On my final run through I tried scampering right through since I though I had a clear path, both those brides were waiting at the end and wrecked me.

With the way that hallway is in pandemic mode, I can see that hall being downright killer in full HHN form. Also, props for having a boo door that has an actor behind it! I was used to seeing a dummy behind one, so I got a surprise when that one dropped.

Revenge of the Tooth Fairy - At last, we finally see this house come to life after a little delay due to them landing Us. As it's been mentioned before, normally situations like that lead to the scrapped house not coming back, so for this to be brought back is quite telling. An I'm very glad they did since this house surprised me in more ways than one!

First off, that entry hall and façade. That was bout' as close to perfect for setting up the concept of the house and it's direction as a twisted story. I was expecting a façade of the manor, so the actual façade was not only a huge surprise but it blew me away. Yes, it's not the biggest façade, but you don't need to be the biggest to be one of the best. The facades I love are the ones that set the mood/tone. Be it Carnival Graveyards "You shouldn't be here" vibe, to Yeti: Terror of the Yukon's eerily still and frozen calm before the chaos. Revenge of the Tooth Fairy is a twisted tale come to life, and that façade nails it.

I really liked the direction of the narration and the text on the walls, and the house had a playfully grim/bleak tone throughout. An when it came to scares, this house was really consistent for me. It may not have the clever tricks that BoFL has, but it was very akin to last years Nightingales where I could always count on it on getting me multiple times each time. To the point where I was dreading certain rooms, the biggest one for me was...

The laundry/sheet room, especially when that room was pumped full of fog. I freaked out in my first run through, and following run throughs got better with more fairies in the room.

This house really worked for me, and it legit creeps me out. I was seriously unnerved walking through my first time and that's never really happened before in a HHN house.

Now for the elephant in the room, yes Knott's Berry Farm did a Tooth Fairy house years ago. They did do a nice and disturbing job with it, though I'm not gonna' pull the "HHN copied Knott's card!" for multiple reasons. One, the stories are different enough. Knott's went with the direction of the Tooth Fairy being a creature you should never see with your own eyes, otherwise she'll take you to her lair, extract all your teeth for quarters and either kill you or turn you into a minion. The focus of the house was her lair. While Revenge of the Tooth Fairy runs with the twisted tale direction, and the fairies straight-up murdering almost everyone in a manor because a kid won't give them his tooth and turning him into a monster afterwards. It's more grounded in it's approach.

Also, the far more important reason. In the haunt industry, if a theme, character, idea is not copyrighted/trademarked etc...you can bet that every and any haunt is going to use it at some point and time. How many places have done an Asylum house? A Clown house? A twisted fairy tales house? A Slaughterhouse? The list goes on and on, and more often that not, places will put their own spin on it. Unless a place actually owns it, who cares if another place does it? I'm not gonna' complain if multiple places pull off a theme I like!

So all in all, I definitely enjoyed both houses. Personally I give the edge to Tooth Fairy since I adore twisted fairy tales etc, and that house pushed all the right buttons for me (An in many way, better than Scary Tales: Deadly Ever After.). Also, it was more consistent for me with scares, which is something I always take into account when I'm doing multiple run throughs of houses. I really look forward to seeing these two houses in full HHN mode next year, since both already have the potential to really shine.

Was able to do 4 run throughs of both houses between yesterday and today.

Both were absolutely solid and the details in both houses are there, from the Storyteller book and glasses within the "story" house of the tooth fairy, to the many many nods to the other monsters in Bride.

TMs mentioned they heard the same rumor of the possibility of 2 more opening, but nothing definitive. The more I think about it though, I wouldn't mind if they did just keep it 2 houses. Saturday felt like it got more and more packed as the day went on, and today while it was raining felt much better, but the moment the rain let up which is when we left around 230p the line to get into the garages were swamped with a lot of people coming in.

I will say though today did feel like the houses has higher staffs than yesterday and the casts are really getting into the groove.