2020 Haunted Houses - Reviews & Spoiler Talk | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

2020 Haunted Houses - Reviews & Spoiler Talk

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It just opened at 10. Give people a chance to go through it and there will probably be some reviews that at the very least pop up on twitter.
I know it was only a half serious question and I am sure we will get reviews here. Also the ones so far on Twitter say that the house is good but no detail^^

Alright, not BJ, but finally got to do both houses after sunset last night (was dusk when we hit Bride, fully dark with Tooth Fairy). Enhanced the experience tremendously. Also, if Universal ever pulls the trigger on an upcharge night with pulsing, I'm in.

I don't feel fair including it, but were this a normal year Bride in my top 10 of the decade. Really both houses have great casts, despite 7 day a week schedule, still brought it at noon on a slow-ish Friday. It just stinks that these houses seem doomed to be a footnote in HHN history that much of the fandom missed.

Alright, not BJ, but finally got to do both houses after sunset last night (was dusk when we hit Bride, fully dark with Tooth Fairy). Enhanced the experience tremendously. Also, if Universal ever pulls the trigger on an upcharge night with pulsing, I'm in.

I don't feel fair including it, but were this a normal year Bride in my top 10 of the decade. Really both houses have great casts, despite 7 day a week schedule, still brought it at noon on a slow-ish Friday. It just stinks that these houses seem doomed to be a footnote in HHN history that much of the fandom missed.

To me it makes absolutely no sense business-wise for them to tear them down, but whatever.

Bride was a very strong house, I agree. I prefer houses with a coherent story to mashup houses without at very least a coherent linking story, so under normal circumstances I'd like it better than Monsters.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
To me it makes absolutely no sense business-wise for them to tear them down, but whatever.

Bride was a very strong house, I agree. I prefer houses with a coherent story to mashup houses without at very least a coherent linking story, so under normal circumstances I'd like it better than Monsters.
I can understand why they can't save them for next year just from the wear angle. I've done a few behind the screams tours near the beginning of the event and it is shocking all the damage accidental or intentional you can see with the lights on in just the short amount of time.. I don't think they have or can easily get duplicate props.

I can understand why they can't save them for next year just from the wear angle. I've done a few behind the screams tours near the beginning of the event and it is shocking all the damage accidental or intentional you can see with the lights on in just the short amount of time.. I don't think they have or can easily get duplicate props.

Even if they need to demolish it, wouldn't it save a ton in the design stage just to clone it rather than brainstorm a new house from scratch?

Well, in that case, we don’t need to keep the designers on payroll for another year either...
A certain studio who works on the houses was complaining about Universal not turning on the A/C in the Beetlejuice warehouse while they were working on it.

So it seems Universal is really tightening the budget already

• Sad
Reactions: MrBlonde
A certain studio who works on the houses was complaining about Universal not turning on the A/C in the Beetlejuice warehouse while they were working on it.

So it seems Universal is really tightening the budget already
Wow! That was a problem before with Sam. They had a contractor bring in supplemental AC after the first bit. It was so hot the last few months that must have been brutal, not like they didn't know about it.

Last edited:
Hard to estimate how much is hype, but thoroughly enjoyed Beetlejuice.

Definitely kin to Ghostbusters, with a heavy reliance on sound clips and re-created sets. Same amazing attention to detail, like the movie come to life. That said, felt like this had a few more active attempts to scare than that house. (Also the house may have been missing actors.) At least 5 different costumed BJs, including an elevated live spieler in the opening, who I think could have been a lot of fun given a full run. Main downsides for me were the face masks, which were more distracting than in the other houses, and the finale effect not working--both hopefully not an issue next year. Also I felt the almost duplicate sets in the store cheapened the fun surprise a little--if you went through the store, you've seen a third of this maze--but still a phenomenal house]

Based on the three we sampled, missed a top tier HHN this year. One more reason to hate 2020.

Did Bride and Tooth Fairy.

Before I get into my review I would like to thank the awesome casts that brought these story's to life and the risk of doing what they do in today's world.

Tooth Fairy 7/10 - The long awaited story is here. I was really worried that this was going to get scrapped after US shot it in the foot last year. Overall though, it was pretty solid, the presentation of the house was nice with the storybook style, the facade definitely changed up the formula and it was nice to smell the artifical guts again, lol.
For me personally, the tooth fairy and her minions got repetitive quickly and it was really hard for me to follow the story without the STIF. Not a bad house, had alot of fun on my walkthroughs.

The Bride of Frankenstein Lives 9.5 (nearly a 10) - What can I say except, WOW! THIS HOUSE HAS GOT ME BY THE HEART STRINGS. Never have I felt so immersed in a house, or felt so many emotions, it was sad, tragic, and disturbing. The Facade is impressive and you can really simpathize with The Bride and how she is feeling. I can't get the dead remnants of Frank being operated on out of my head, it's sticking with me more than a simple scene then a house usually does. The Drac brides were a nice addition and it was cool they got some representation. The finale with the resurrection is a cool scene and the double scare is perfect. 3rd fav house OF ALL TIME!

I didn't get to Beetlejuice but I'm dying to see it next year, along with Wicked Growth. If these houses return next year it will be great to see these houses change with the Covid safety precautions removed, especially Brides! Should they return? I still don't have an opinion yet due to how it could affect the designers of these works of art since they will have less work to do if so.

It's sad that our event was cancelled but it was for the best, it's not like we were hung out to dry either, Universal put out what they could for locals and GP.
And again, thank you Universal and the awesome people that went and filled houses with screams this year.
I hope to see you in the fog next year!