Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hey all,

For those of you who went to the Coca Cola AP Event.... I feel like this was an experiment for Universal to see how they could have more events. It's been a while since Uni has had an event like this.
I feel like we might see more events in the future...

So it got me thinking about what else could come to USH. Perhaps Mardi Gras, Universal Classic movie celebration, Anime Event.

Personally I think anime is more likely given the popularity of things like Dragon Ball, Demon Slayer, Black Clover, Attack on Titan, etc. Universal could certainly do some small walk through attractions. What immediately comes to mind is Attack on Titan. Could be pulled off in a.similar vein to a haunt maze but wouldn't necessarily need many actors.

Let's discuss, what do you think it could look like if they were to go about it?

If there's one American Universal park where it can happen, it's definitely out here in Hollywood (I've seen Anime titles in HHN Hollywood surveys, so its definitely not off the radar). So maybe one day but for now i guess you gotta go all the way to Japan's park.

Last edited:
I would beg to differ Dragon Ball: Super Hero is number one in the box office right now. I wouldn't say it's that niche, depending on the property. Demon Slayers movie also broke records worldwide.

I did also have a survey asking about anime representation in the park. It could work in Hollywood forsure.

Dragonball and Demon Slayer both have taken the top spot in the USA

I'm soooooo tried of people saying Anime is only for a certain group. Even if it is, make an event like they are saying.

Literally themed food, meet and greets, anime music and maybe like use the walking dead area for a fun little walk through attraction

If done right it can be done.

I absolutely despise anime, but I love Dragon Quest. Is that weird to say? I saw what USJ did with the IP and would like to see it here in the states.

Agreed.
Dragonball and Demon Slayer both have taken the top spot in the USA

I'm soooooo tried of people saying Anime is only for a certain group. Even if it is, make an event like they are saying.

Literally themed food, meet and greets, anime music and maybe like use the walking dead area for a fun little walk through attraction

If done right it can be done.

Agreed. I could see them using Walking Dead in particular for a Attack on Titan walk through with a couple Titan Puppets.
I feel like it wouldn't necessarily have to be scary but could just demonstrate what can be done with puppets.

Also maybe a show based on Demon Slayer. Could be a little swordsman/stunt show in Special Effects Stage area.

As for food, Dragon Ball Cafe in Universal Plaza. Dishes include Ramen obviously with a Vegeta and Goku meet and greet.

Lower lot could have another stand serving Drinks inspired by My Hero Acadameia and maybe a couple shops selling merchandise from One Punch Man, Hunter x Hunter, and maybe a couple others.

Doesn't have to be much. Could be just a month long.

Merged the two anime threads. I know each thread was dedicated to each coast, but I think the same discussion points apply.

I'd also encourage everyone participating in this discussion to consider whether a pitched idea is something practical and possible versus something they would just personally like to see. We do have "make your own attraction" threads.

Anime movies consistently get into the US box office records, and also consistently drop like a rock immediately afterwards. There is a fanbase for that medium in the US, but it just doesn't seem consistent or strong enough to justify any major action theme park wise, at least to my eyes.

Anime movies consistently get into the US box office records, and also consistently drop like a rock immediately afterwards. There is a fanbase for that medium in the US, but it just doesn't seem consistent or strong enough to justify any major action theme park wise, at least to my eyes.

It dropping off in the box office could be due to its limited release windows and higher priced tickets in some cases. Also I wouldn't judge its consistency viability off theatrical releases.

It dropping off in the box office could be due to its limited release windows and higher priced tickets in some cases. Also I wouldn't judge its consistency viability off theatrical releases.
Limited release and higher prices is the symptom of a cult following, not the reason for it. They know that if it were sold as a regular showing next to any traditional US blockbuster it would crater worse than Lightyear, but there is a small passionate community willing to pay a few extra dollars to see it once in theatres.

You could make the case for a seasonal offering a la Horror Nights using some anime material for a 2-month long impermanent event, but anything more permanent than that just doesn't seem viable to me at all. Pokemon is about as close to an anime land I think any major US theme park will ever get unless there is a major shift in US media trends.

Limited release and higher prices is the symptom of a cult following, not the reason for it. They know that if it were sold as a regular showing next to any traditional US blockbuster it would crater worse than Lightyear, but there is a small passionate community willing to pay a few extra dollars to see it once in theatres.

I was just explaining why the box office numbers don't keep up as strong as a US blockbuster, but also look at how Dragon Ball is doing at the US box office right now (opening weekend it made a little half of Lightyear's opening with less theaters). It's doing well and shows the trends of theatrical theater growth in a time where some big releases are really having a hard time at the theaters. Also I don't think limited theatrical runs in general tell you how big a fan base, there's other things to go off of as well. I think people here just want to see an anime event just like Japan's Universal does at the very least at Hollywood and that's definitely possible.

Japan is Japan. US is US. Entirely different markets and culture. Anime is in the Japanese bloodstream, but in the US it's just another niche ....Great example: Just like Hello Kitty merch. It's a blockbuster in Japan, but in the US it's slow moving merch.

They could definitely do at least a small seasonal event at Hollywood, there's already conventions out here that do extremely well. I wouldn't say its the small little niche it used to be here either, times change and they are changing. I also say all this as someone who doesn't even watch Anime. You open tik tok or something, you see something Anime related at least once if you're in the 20s and under age pool.

I do agree it probably won't work in Orlando. Some of us got pulled over from the Hollywood thread surrounding this into here so that might be why this proposal sounds wild.

Last edited:
I'd also encourage everyone participating in this discussion to consider whether a pitched idea is something practical and possible versus something they would just personally like to see. We do have "make your own attraction" threads.

Which threads? I thought we only had a “Design a HHN” thread.

I think only Pokémon could be sustainable for a theme park, but then again I don’t know if it’s still Uber-popular, I don’t follow the anime.

Pokemon sells merch like hot cakes. So if we're look at that, definitely profitable. A lot of people are into Pokemon but I think its in the way that people love collecting things.
A lot of the Pokemon are cute and work well as plush, candy, and things of the like. In US, I don't think long-term that an Anime event would continue to be profitable.
I have no doubt that Hollywood could work well with a couple food offerings, meet and greets, and maybe 1 walkthrough experience, and a small "roadshow".

Just like anime movies make a killing initially, sure they drop off after a while but it's honestly not like your average Horror Movie makes too much more with all-time earnings and we still see some of those represented at Horror Nights.
For example, Dragon Ball: Battle of Gods made around $51.2 in total earnings, worldwide. For comparision Insidious 2 made around $161m, This is The End made $50m but both were featured at HHN