Avengers: Doomsday (2026) | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Avengers: Doomsday (2026)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

How we feeling about RDJ as Doom?

• Love it!

• Intrigued

• Wait and see mode/Meh

• Hate it

Results are only viewable after voting.
Considering everything we know about MCU Tony Stark, and more so HOWARD Stark’s history, it’s not that outlandishly absurd to see a universe where Tony is kidnapped as a child and raised as Victor Von Doom. That becomes even more likely when you consider the history Mephisto has in Doom becoming Doom. Mephisto has been alluded to and considered for various MCU projects, so crazier things are possible.

More so, since Fantastic Four already exists in a different Universe, what if that Universe’s Howard Stark grew up in Latveria?

Considering everything we know about MCU Tony Stark, and more so HOWARD Stark’s history, it’s not that outlandishly absurd to see a universe where Tony is kidnapped as a child and raised as Victor Von Doom. That becomes even more likely when you consider the history Mephisto has in Doom becoming Doom. Mephisto has been alluded to and considered for various MCU projects, so crazier things are possible.

More so, since Fantastic Four already exists in a different Universe, what if that Universe’s Howard Stark grew up in Latveria?
Exactly.

I get the disappointment of not having a comics accurate character, but the MCU is never shy to go against the comics.

Feige usually chooses the route that he thinks will work best within the MCU, not exactly what the comics did. In this case, I do think this may be the best choice story-wise for the MCU.

Reactions: Jake S

Hopefully they handle this in the movie like what you said above. This is probably the only way I can see the fans getting behind this casting choice.

I will never get behind the choice to make Victor Von Doom just a Tony Stark variant. They are two different people, period, regardless of the scenarios we can concoct in order for Tony to end up with that name.

It is an awful idea, and a slap in the face to anyone who's been waiting since 2005 (or longer) to see the character done correctly on film. I didn't think it would be possible to treat the character any worse than the 2015 movie did (which is a horrendous botch of Doom on a number of levels), but this decision would sink below that if this is actually what they're doing.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
I will never get behind the choice to make Victor Von Doom just a Tony Stark variant. They are two different people, period, regardless of the scenarios we can concoct in order for Tony to end up with that name.

It is an awful idea, and a slap in the face to anyone who's been waiting since 2005 (or longer) to see the character done correctly on film. I didn't think it would be possible to treat the character any worse than the 2015 movie did (which is a horrendous botch of Doom on a number of levels), but this decision would sink below that if this is actually what they're doing.
Well… there is the comics storyline where Tony and Victor swap minds and Victor ends up in Tony’s body…

Would that work?

Well… there is the comics storyline where Tony and Victor swap minds and Victor ends up in Tony’s body…

Would that work?
It would be better than a Stark variant, but I think the exposition required to explain/sell that to the audience would be prohibitive, especially without meeting/knowing the "real" Doom for a while first.

This is straight up SAD. Was not keen on Gunn’s DCU, but I can forgive all that in the vein he at least is passionate about the source material he is deriving his work from, and now root for its success in the aspect it buries whatever pull the MCU has left . I would have loved an actual Romani actor to touch on you know, Victor’s oppression growing up?! A move that reeks of desperation. If we never see his face throughout the entirety of these two movies, perhaps I’d throw them a bone. Any actual fan of Marvel comics should be ashamed of this. The MCU-fication of the mainline Marvel mythos is just straight GARBAGE.

Reactions: saint.piss
So I know what i'm about to say isn't going to change anyone's mind who want a comics accurate Victor Von Doom. HOWEVER, in Deadpool & Wolverine, there is a bit of talk about an "anchor being" for each universe. Steve Rodgers is certainly an extremely important person in 616, but Tony Stark I think most would agree was the anchor for over a decade and currently, the 616 is missing an anchor.

Tony Stark kicked off the MCU and Tony Stark died as the ultimate hero in Endgame. Victor von Doom appearing with the face of Tony Stark, now returning as the anchor once again, but this time as the ultimate villain. With the MCU as we know it potentially coming to a close before hitting a soft reboot and diving deep into the X-men, Fantastic Four and all of that, this is quite a poetic way for it to all potentially end.

It doesn't mean that we won't get a comics accurate Doom still after this. But again, if they really are going to do a bit of a reboot, you don't want them introducing comics accurate Doom now. You want them to give him a long run as a villain.

Would that work?
For those interested there's a bit of a look into that story in this video here:

Reactions: TheUniC6
We can also kiss goodbye "Doom as a decade-plus-long presence in the MCU," because there's no way they're going to pay RDJ that kind of money to appear in another five or six movies as the character.

So it's potentially a waste of the character on two fronts. Either:

1. He's not really the real Doom.
or
2. Even if he is, he's probably out of the MCU within three years, and he hasn't even been introduced yet.

We can also kiss goodbye "Doom as a decade-plus-long presence in the MCU," because there's no way they're going to pay RDJ that kind of money to appear in another five or six movies as the character.

So it's potentially a waste of the character on two fronts. Either:

1. He's not really the real Doom.
or
2. Even if he is, he's probably out of the MCU within three years, and he hasn't even been introduced yet.
It's possible for them to close out this saga poetically with the actor that started it, now as a villain, then the MCU gets a soft reboot, and the real doom gets a long arc.

Whatever is next after this saga almost undoubtedly will be following Fantastic Four and X-Men primarily as we aren't getting X-Men until this saga is over. Not saying what i'm laying out will be reality, but it's absolutely not impossible we still get a long Doom arc.

Here's the thing - Kang didn't work, Majors incident or not. Their hand was sort of forced to fast track Doom due to Kang not working/Majors getting fired. There was also no hype for the new Avengers films on Saturday afternoon. Now there's massive hype. I don't know how you pose a real, credible threat to another Avengers film unless you go the route of Doom right now. Theoretically, they could've recast Kang, but the character simply didn't work to the point he had become a bit of a joke after Quantumania.

I'd be surprised if we got another Doom any time soon. Not just because it might be confusing for general audiences, but also because it would be kind of unfair to ask another performer to come in and immediately follow the biggest star in the MCU. Whether RDJ's Doom is received well or reviled, either scenario presents difficulty in presenting a new version after him; if everyone loves Downey's Doom, then you're filling very large shoes, and if everybody thinks it was a misfire, you've potentially damaged the viability of the character permanently (after already twice wrecking the character in the previous FANTASTIC FOUR movies).

I'd be surprised if we got another Doom any time soon. Not just because it might be confusing for general audiences, but also because it would be kind of unfair to ask another performer to come in and immediately follow the biggest star in the MCU. Whether RDJ's Doom is received well or reviled, either scenario presents difficulty in presenting a new version after him; if everyone loves Downey's Doom, then you're filling very large shoes, and if everybody thinks it was a misfire, you've potentially damaged the viability of the character permanently (after already twice wrecking the character in the previous FANTASTIC FOUR movies).
I'm not saying it would be immediate. But let's say there's some sort of a soft reboot to the universe at the secret wars in order to put an end to the multiverse (this would be addressed in film the way I envision it). I agree we'd probably be looking at roughly a decade before anyone would be willing to accept another version of Doom. But that doesn't mean you can't lay the groundwork in the meantime.

in order to put an end to the multiverse (this would be addressed in film the way I envision it)
I assume what this would mean is the multiverse wouldn't be totally destroyed but still be there in the background. It just wouldn't be used that much anymore, or for at least a while.