Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Blue Man Group

How popular is BMG in UOR? How often do they sell out?

I last went 5 years ago and it was a great show, but I probably will not go again until they update it. Would be good if their acquisition by Cirque will lead to a new, updated show.

Show does well. It's profitable even when it's not sold out.

So are the BMG safe at universal or is there a chance Uni loses them and has to replace them?

It's safe.

How popular is BMG in UOR? How often do they sell out?

I last went 5 years ago and it was a great show, but I probably will not go again until they update it. Would be good if their acquisition by Cirque will lead to a new, updated show.

Haven't they updated it in the last five years though? I forget how long ago I saw BMG, but I know it has been updated since I saw it.

Haven't they updated it in the last five years though? I forget how long ago I saw BMG, but I know it has been updated since I saw it.
Yes, they say it has been updated on their site. I went about 3 years ago and I think it has added bits since then and the ending was changed.

I thought BMG was awesome. I would see it again for the $36 pass holder deal they had. they will always be able to fill the house at the right rate. it also does not have a large operating cost nor do I think it needs one. The key to its longevity is the fact that you don't have to speak English to enjoy the show and flexibility to be updated.

BMG has been uploading behind the scenes videos from their various productions around the world and the past two have starred the band and Blue Man from Orlando!

We saw this show for the first time during our last trip in May, and the band and the Blue Men came out to meet with people after the show.

Not sure if that happens all the time or not, but it was pretty cool talking to them and getting pics with them. The band is pretty awesome.

Sounds like the Vegas BMG show laid off everyone but it’s not sure if they’ll come back. Orlando show might be one of the few shows to return as it has a stable business base.

Well...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the Vegas BMG show laid off everyone but it’s not sure if they’ll come back. Orlando show might be one of the few shows to return as it has a stable business base.
We’re in a situation where Broadway just announced a closure through the end of the year however. If Cirque/Blue Man has to do that, I don’t think they can survive.

According to this, Cirque is planning to come out of the bankruptcy (post-purchase by new investors) with only 1,000 employees and 70% of them in Vegas. While BMG could come back in Orlando because of the steady audience, BMG as a show may not work in a post-pandemic world. So much of the show is shoving stuff in people’s faces and the finale is literally “everybody touch the bouncing balls with your unwashed hands.”

Part of me would rather Universal close it permanently and use the SHARP Aquos theater space for the park again. Pull the talent in for a new percussion show in any of their empty theaters (Toon or Fear Factor) once things start calming down, and just allow BMG to live in the past.

Part of me would rather Universal close it permanently and use the SHARP Aquos theater space for the park again. Pull the talent in for a new percussion show in any of their empty theaters (Toon or Fear Factor) once things start calming down, and just allow BMG to live in the past.

Wasn't there once surveys..a long while back, that seemed to indicate a rumored replacement being possibly one of their broadway shows? Part of me wonder's if they could opt in and bring Wicked to Universal Orlando, and redo the Sharp Theater to compliment the design of Citywalk to match that.

According to this, Cirque is planning to come out of the bankruptcy (post-purchase by new investors) with only 1,000 employees and 70% of them in Vegas. While BMG could come back in Orlando because of the steady audience, BMG as a show may not work in a post-pandemic world. So much of the show is shoving stuff in people’s faces and the finale is literally “everybody touch the bouncing balls with your unwashed hands.”

I would personally rather it close for park use again (although it never was truly "Park space", it was a Sound stage and tour), although even if BMG moved out, BMG is a tenant of USF Production Group, so that would have to be let go of and given to the parks, but that won't be any major issue I wouldn't assume since Comcast owns it all.

Wasn't there once surveys..a long while back, that seemed to indicate a rumored replacement being possibly one of their broadway shows? Part of me wonder's if they could opt in and bring Wicked to Universal Orlando, and redo the Sharp Theater to compliment the design of Citywalk to match that.
I don't think Universal has enough foot traffic for a year round single show. But maybe a Summer Broadway Series where a large scale production like Wicked plays Memorial Day to Labor Day. A smaller production for Horror Season like Rocky Horror or Little Shop of Horrors. Dicken's A Christmas Carol or have Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer adapted for for stage for the Holiday's. And for Spring Break there is Mean Girls and Bring It On!

I don't think Universal has enough foot traffic for a year round single show. But maybe a Summer Broadway Series where a large scale production like Wicked plays Memorial Day to Labor Day. A smaller production for Horror Season like Rocky Horror or Little Shop of Horrors. Dicken's A Christmas Carol or have Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer adapted for for stage for the Holiday's. And for Spring Break there is Mean Girls and Bring It On!
some good choices there :thumbsup:

I really don’t see that happening with the Dr. Phillips Center existing. Those productions would require either using an in-house troupe or trying to lure in touring productions. The former would (I love Orlando Parks performers but if I’m being honest) make the quality of the productions take a hit while the latter would force tours to go to a lower quality venue in Orlando all while angering the Community. To even get close to the Walt Disney Theater’s quality, you would probably need to take over multiple soundstages, raze them, and build from the ground up.