Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Cedar Point

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Surprised there isn't a thread about this big thrill park (or Magic Mountain for that matter..); so i'll kick this thread off with the big announcement that occurred today.

Mean Streak, the park's second wooden coaster gets the axe on September 16th.

There have been so many countless rumor's regarding Mean Streak; with the big one of people hoping for it to be RMCed (RMCed mean's being entirely reworked with the gents of Rocky Mountain Construction; the team that brought Twisted Colossus, The Joker (SFDK), Wildfire, and The New Texas Giant).

Thoughts?

I have thoughts. Mean Streak is a terrible coaster. I rode it when it first opened. Beautiful looking wood all around you as the queue line was in the center of the coaster. The ride was fun but not as good as it looked. Over time, the ride turned into a horrible coaster. It jackhammers you from start to finish. They put trims all the way down the first hill and removed any of the fun on the drop. The coaster's path through the structure wasn't utilized very well. Every time that I went to Cedar Point (used to be annually from 1990 through 2006), I would get enticed by the ride and give in. Not long after the first drop, I was kicking myself (along with the ride throwing in a few kicks) for falling prey to the ride's enticing wooden structure. I would get off of the ride, staggering a little, and wondering if the headache was permanent or just temporary. I ranked it the second worst coaster that I have ever ridden, right behind the Son of Beast.

I am curious if they will give it a full-out RMC treatment. A smoother ride and better course would make this ride awesome. Plus, it would help Cedar Point by giving riders another choice. I went there on many busy days and no one was in line. Except for me as I thought, "Maybe this time won't be as bad...."

This is the one park I've wanted to visit since I started getting into coasters. It's just always been slightly out of reach.

I'd love to see a RMC coaster being built, twisted colossus is one of my favourites and I hope that the company becomes a huge success.

This is the one park I've wanted to visit since I started getting into coasters. It's just always been slightly out of reach.

I'd love to see a RMC coaster being built, twisted colossus is one of my favourites and I hope that the company becomes a huge success.

It's an awesome park. World-class coasters all around. Fixing Mean Streak will remove one of the blights in the coaster lineup. Another blight is Iron Dragon but that is only because it should have been named the Cedar Point Monorail as it is a pokey coaster. Magnum is a little rough but very rideable. Millennium Force, Raptor, Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, and Rougarou are great. Valravn looks awesome but I haven't been on it yet.

I have thoughts. Mean Streak is a terrible coaster. I rode it when it first opened. Beautiful looking wood all around you as the queue line was in the center of the coaster. The ride was fun but not as good as it looked. Over time, the ride turned into a horrible coaster. It jackhammers you from start to finish. They put trims all the way down the first hill and removed any of the fun on the drop. The coaster's path through the structure wasn't utilized very well. Every time that I went to Cedar Point (used to be annually from 1990 through 2006), I would get enticed by the ride and give in. Not long after the first drop, I was kicking myself (along with the ride throwing in a few kicks) for falling prey to the ride's enticing wooden structure. I would get off of the ride, staggering a little, and wondering if the headache was permanent or just temporary. I ranked it the second worst coaster that I have ever ridden, right behind the Son of Beast.

I am curious if they will give it a full-out RMC treatment. A smoother ride and better course would make this ride awesome. Plus, it would help Cedar Point by giving riders another choice. I went there on many busy days and no one was in line. Except for me as I thought, "Maybe this time won't be as bad...."
Right on review. First time I rode it, the year it opened, I ended up waiting in line for over two hours, which is a hour longer than I'd wait for any ride today. It looked great but the ride was so so. It wasn't half as good as the excellent Thunderbolt woodie at Kennywood or the Beast at King's Island. Then, it got rough and worst over the years. I doubt many will miss this.

RMC is definitely going to hop in that spot no matter what. It feels like with Kings Island getting Mystic Timbers that Cedar Fair wants Ohio to have two premiere wooden coasters. Of course, goes without saying that the flagship park, and the roller coaster mecca needs an RMC added to their collection.

Yeah the video hints at a demo and build from scratch, but certain clues are arising that suggest just a retrofit.

If it's the latter, then I could see it debuting in 2017 which makes me curious if Mystic Timbers and its shed mystery is supposed to be the thing that helps it attract crowds alongside the predictable mass chaos that would come with a ginormous RMC that a Mean Streak retrofit would be.

I have to say today's announcement was very underwhelming. The coaster enthusiasts saw it coming and I'm sure the general public are saying 'about time!' It is playing out very much like Mantis/Rougarou in 2014. With that being said though, Mean Streak is more likely than not to be converted into an RMC beast, pun intended. The question is though, topper track, or I-Beam?
Might have to make the pilgrimage to the Point next year...

I looked up a trip here and the on-site hotels are expensive! But it looks so convenient to be located so close to the park. Plus, I need breaks more in a park with back-to-back coasters than I do at most other types of parks.

I looked up a trip here and the on-site hotels are expensive! But it looks so convenient to be located so close to the park. Plus, I need breaks more in a park with back-to-back coasters than I do at most other types of parks.

There are plenty of hotels around the area that are close by and much cheaper, not worth it to stay on site.

Be careful of some of the low priced motels though. Some of them are very bad.

Amen to this. We tend to stay further outside of Sandusky on Rt. 250. Takes about fifteen minutes to get to the park. I get the "where can I rest for a while?" completely but I don't know that I would stay at Breakers because of the cost. There are also some cabins but I know how much those cost either. Stayed at a Comfort Inn one time in my normal area and it was terrible. Last time I stayed at a Comfort Inn. No towels and a filthy room. Not a good combination. Overall, the Point is one of the best amusement parks around. Good staffing and ride op's and an excellent choice of coasters. Not the place to go for dark rides, obviously. It's why they call it "America's Roller Coast".

Yeah the video hints at a demo and build from scratch, but certain clues are arising that suggest just a retrofit.

If it's the latter, then I could see it debuting in 2017 which makes me curious if Mystic Timbers and its shed mystery is supposed to be the thing that helps it attract crowds alongside the predictable mass chaos that would come with a ginormous RMC that a Mean Streak retrofit would be.

I think that KI will benefit from a good wood coaster. The Racer is so-so and the Beast is starting to show its age. That or I am. I am seven years older than it is and probably give people some headaches as well. Some people were griping about another wood coaster but KI received two flawless B&M coasters in a row and a woodie is a great addition.

For Cedar Point, their only wood coaster now will be the Blue Streak unless you count the Cedar Creek Mine Ride and Gemini (which at best would be considered hybrids). So, upgrading Mean Streak (also referred to as Mean Screech for the sound of the wheels as it tracked along) will provide a huge boost. Again, you may have 17 coasters but, if no one rides one of them, it is a waste of a lot of space.

Stayed at Breakers a few years ago, and while they may have renovated the rooms, they still smell like they're ancient. I enjoyed the beach, not to mention the atmosphere that comes from watching a park wake up, but the only really cool thing about it is seeing that it is indeed a classic hotel. If the cost were lower I wouldn't be against it but due to the expense I'd look in other places. Wonderful resort, really enjoyed my family's visit!

My 2nd and latest trip to the Point was when GateKeeper opened and I loved it. Anybody living in FL or somewhere far from Ohio, make sure you get Fast Pass, make it a 2 Day Trip or both. They have 75 rides technically and to fully soak in the park, you have to stay two days. (Also, hit Maverick first. I couldn't ride it because it was a 2 hour wait.)

Amen to this. We tend to stay further outside of Sandusky on Rt. 250. Takes about fifteen minutes to get to the park. I get the "where can I rest for a while?" completely but I don't know that I would stay at Breakers because of the cost. There are also some cabins but I know how much those cost either. Stayed at a Comfort Inn one time in my normal area and it was terrible. Last time I stayed at a Comfort Inn. No towels and a filthy room. Not a good combination. Overall, the Point is one of the best amusement parks around. Good staffing and ride op's and an excellent choice of coasters. Not the place to go for dark rides, obviously. It's why they call it "America's Roller Coast".
Yeah, a really good park. I go way back on Cedar point. I lived within a 30 minute drive of the park in the early to mid 70's. At that time they were trying to reinvent themselves as a Midwest Disneyland of sorts. The "only coaster" was the Blue Streak, which is kind of smallish. The middle of the park was a huge swamp with a waterway through it, and a boat ride, ala Rivers of America at Disney. In the middle of those waterways they had an island that had exotic trained animal acts. One was a group of white tigers. They had also just put in the Frontier Trail, which was much longer and themed than the little bit of the trail that's left. It was themed to old Sandusky, and Fort Sandusky, and had a ton of demonstration crafts like glassblowing, pottery, etc. and many stores themed to the frontier. They had another area themed to 19th turn of the century Sandusky, with old apothacary stores, museums, firehouse etc. That was at the end of the frontier trail and after your long walk through the woods, or train ride, and adjacent to 19th century Sandusky, there was an Old West Town. And the front of the park was Patriotic Americana with indoor patriotic Theater shows, and the original Seaside amusement park theme....But then, I guess that didn't bring the crowds in , so they slowly started adding coasters every couple of years. Now, it's arguably the best coaster park in the world. What a change over the years It's almost unrecognizable compared to what existed in early to mid 70's.

Yeah, a really good park. I go way back on Cedar point. I lived within a 30 minute drive of the park in the early to mid 70's. At that time they were trying to reinvent themselves as a Midwest Disneyland of sorts. The "only coaster" was the Blue Streak, which is kind of smallish. The middle of the park was a huge swamp with a waterway through it, and a boat ride, ala Rivers of America at Disney. In the middle of those waterways they had an island that had exotic trained animal acts. One was a group of white tigers. They had also just put in the Frontier Trail, which was much longer and themed than the little bit of the trail that's left. It was themed to old Sandusky, and Fort Sandusky, and had a ton of demonstration crafts like glassblowing, pottery, etc. and many stores themed to the frontier. They had another area themed to 19th turn of the century Sandusky, with old apothacary stores, museums, firehouse etc. That was at the end of the frontier trail and after your long walk through the woods, or train ride, and adjacent to 19th century Sandusky, there was an Old West Town. And the front of the park was Patriotic Americana with indoor patriotic Theater shows, and the original Seaside amusement park theme....But then, I guess that didn't bring the crowds in , so they slowly started adding coasters every couple of years. Now, it's arguably the best coaster park in the world. What a change over the years It's almost unrecognizable compared to what existed in early to mid 70's.

Remember the Earthquake and Pirate dark rides? The boat ride was fun when I was 7. Gemini opened and it was pretty cool (or so I heard since I wouldn't ride a coaster back then). They had the IMax theater which was amazing back then. They started changing over to coasters in the mid-80's and never looked back. Not counting Mean Streak, they had one great coaster after the next.

You have to get the Fastlane + to get full benefit nowadays.

Though this is a Cedar Point thread, how many remember the monorail ride through Kings Island's animal habitat? More good memories.

Remember the Earthquake and Pirate dark rides? The boat ride was fun when I was 7. Gemini opened and it was pretty cool (or so I heard since I wouldn't ride a coaster back then). They had the IMax theater which was amazing back then. They started changing over to coasters in the mid-80's and never looked back. Not counting Mean Streak, they had one great coaster after the next.

You have to get the Fastlane + to get full benefit nowadays.

Though this is a Cedar Point thread, how many remember the monorail ride through Kings Island's animal habitat? More good memories.
Yes, you just brought a ton of Cedar Point memories back with those rides...And, yes, I loved the King's Island Safari monorail. If I recall correctly, it was longer than the one at Animal Kingdom. I absolutely loved King's Island when they did the original renovation. The grand entrance way with the themed shops from Europe, the long water feature and fountains in the middle of the street, and the Eiffel Tower at the end, ala Disney's WDW castle. It was beautiful & breath taking. And I believe they had 5 or 6 fully themed lands like Disney, with shops, stores, attractions and lot's of entertainment. And like Cedar Point, only a few coasters at the beginning of the redo, though one of them was the fantastic Beast, probably the longest wooden coaster in existence at the time. Loved having a beer & meal in the Bier Garden in the Bavarian themed area. In the 80's, King's Island was my second favorite park, only surpassed by Busch Gardens Williamsburg,(the Old Country), which was in it's heyday then.Today's BGW is only a shadow of the park that it was.