CityWalk Expansion | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Which new venue are you looking forward to?

• Total voters
That's certainly a possibility and would be major cross-promotional opportunity for Comcast.

Weren't like 2 or 3 original and the rest chains?

This location should get something special IMO.

Ah yes. I am wondering though if anyone wants to put up odds of this one being an internal or external brand. My vote is for original.

Would rather see a Quaker Steak & Lube than a Buffalo Wild Wing. Something different that you can't get anywhere else in Orlando (closest is Tampa) and the wings there are amazing. Plus the interior is cooler than BWW and personally every time I go to BWW the service and food is not the best. Food takes forever and the food normally comes out cold or burnt.

Yes. YES!!! I'm going to hazard a guess that you're a PA girl, Izzy. When I lived in OH, I used to frequent the original "Lube" in Sharon, PA, as well as others across OH and PA. BEST. WINGS. EVER. Buffalo Wild Wings doesn't even come CLOSE. In fact, I tried to open my own "Lube" a few years ago, but you have to be a millionaire to do it (like any McDonalds, Dominos, etc.). Pity there aren't more...they'd take over the wing world. A "Lube" would be absolutely perfect for CityWalk.

Still don't get why a sports bar "fits" in CityWalk. The vast majority of guests are going for theme parks, not to watch a game. And the vast majority of locals are going to go to a sports bar that (1) is easier to get to, (2) has some type of game-time happy hour, and/or (3) caters to their hometown team (think Pats fans at Celebration Town Tavern, or any of the various Steelers bars around town).

I don't see any CW sports bar getting a huge crowd for Monday Night Football or a Wednesday night NBA playoff; and nights with no major sports event will be even worse. Jon Taffer's law: "Sports fills a bar about 70 days a year.” You need at least double that for a successful tourist district bar. A sports bar is the cheap and easy option, but I don't see it having any more long-term success than NBA or NASCAR have had.

Still don't get why a sports bar "fits" in CityWalk. The vast majority of guests are going for theme parks, not to watch a game. And the vast majority of locals are going to go to a sports bar that (1) is easier to get to, (2) has some type of game-time happy hour, and/or (3) caters to their hometown team (think Pats fans at Celebration Town Tavern, or any of the various Steelers bars around town).

I don't see any CW sports bar getting a huge crowd for Monday Night Football or a Wednesday night NBA playoff; and nights with no major sports event will be even worse. Jon Taffer's law: "Sports fills a bar about 70 days a year.” You need at least double that for a successful tourist district bar. A sports bar is the cheap and easy option, but I don't see it having any more long-term success than NBA or NASCAR have had.

I don't think anyone is asking for a strict sports "bar". But a place where you can grab some traditional American food with nice TVs for catching whatever game is on. That's what NASCAR Cafe/Sport Grill strove to be, but I bet many were turned off because of the NASCAR brand. Even when people are on vacation, they still root for their favorite teams or want to keep up with fantasy things and the like. I don't think it's an unrealistic market to fill. The ESPN Zone at DL seems to do very well, not sure about the one at the Boardwalk.

NBC Sports is great cross promotion and makes tons of sense all around.

I don't think anyone is asking for a strict sports "bar". But a place where you can grab some traditional American food with nice TVs for catching whatever game is on. That's what NASCAR Cafe/Sport Grill strove to be, but I bet many were turned off because of the NASCAR brand. Even when people are on vacation, they still root for their favorite teams or want to keep up with fantasy things and the like. I don't think it's an unrealistic market to fill. The ESPN Zone at DL seems to do very well, not sure about the one at the Boardwalk.

NBC Sports is great cross promotion and makes tons of sense all around.
ESPN Club is packed most of the time.

antojitos, vivo, breadbox, hot dog are originals are they not?

I thought the hot dog place was also elsewhere? I think most of the places they picked are original or only have a few locations, which I love. Except the ice cream places, both are major chains you can find anywhere.

Yes. YES!!! I'm going to hazard a guess that you're a PA girl, Izzy. When I lived in OH, I used to frequent the original "Lube" in Sharon, PA, as well as others across OH and PA. BEST. WINGS. EVER. Buffalo Wild Wings doesn't even come CLOSE. In fact, I tried to open my own "Lube" a few years ago, but you have to be a millionaire to do it (like any McDonalds, Dominos, etc.). Pity there aren't more...they'd take over the wing world. A "Lube" would be absolutely perfect for CityWalk.

Yep, from Pittsburgh. But the funny part is I never went to one until I moved away and came back to visit. We go to the one near Kennywood after a long day at the park. My husband insists on now going every year because they are the best wings. We also get them at ballgames when we visit. He complains that there are no places in Orlando that can touch the wings from Quaker Steak & Lube. He grew up in Philly and didn't have them there, so he first had them in Pittsburgh too.

I thought the hot dog place was also elsewhere? I think most of the places they picked are original or only have a few locations, which I love. Except the ice cream places, both are major chains you can find anywhere.
The hot dog place had one location somewhere in Pennsylvania I believe. It's not family owned or anything though. It's a Landry's concept.

I just have this feeling that Universal is getting away from 3rd party places, and going to either original concepts, or places where we can outright own the franchise. Just a feeling.

And back to the CW vs. DTD debate, don't forget, Pleasure Island closed in 2008, 6 YEARS AGO, and they are only just now putting something in there. THAT is a huge problem.

Reactions: natespf
I just have this feeling that Universal is getting away from 3rd party places, and going to either original concepts, or places where we can outright own the franchise. Just a feeling.
What has universal done to make you believe they are moving towards original concepts? Besides the mini-golf course and a few of the restaurants, everything is IP based.

I mean, I agree that the park will be original, but I don't see how you say they are moving to more original concepts when they barely have so far (unless you know something being a TM and can't say anything...)

What has universal done to make you believe they are moving towards original concepts? Besides the mini-golf course and a few of the restaurants, everything is IP based.

I mean, I agree that the park will be original, but I don't see how you say they are moving to more original concepts when they barely have so far (unless you know something being a TM and can't say anything...)

I think she means in Citywalk they are moving towards this, because they opened several original concepts and really only 2 chain places. The other ones were middle of the road because they only have a couple other locations in the US. Which I think is closer to original than it is chain.

Menchies is also still uncommon in Florida. The store in universal was the first I've ever heard of it. Closest thing like it that I know of is yogurtology. Still a unique concept though

okay don't judge me but since I heard they were closing NASCAR, I had a change to go there for the first time yesterday. So I finally got to see everything in person of what you all The food was amazing. Can't believe I never eaten here before.

Menchies is also still uncommon in Florida. The store in universal was the first I've ever heard of it. Closest thing like it that I know of is yogurtology. Still a unique concept though
The concept isn't that unique anymore, I have about 3 different independently run stores just like it that are all great in the area where I live (and I live in Tampa, so it's definitely not a new concept for Florida).

Still doesn't mean it's not a nice addition.