CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread | Page 117 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The affection for Disney Springs escapes me. It looks utterly generic, like any number of upscale “lifestyle centers” in suburbs across the country. The stores have been steadily de themed to the point where walking through them is utterly boring. Nothing there has anything close to the charm of the Legacy Store, Coconut, or Toothsome. I’d be happy to see CityWalk expand (and I’d really love more outdoor seating areas), but the last thing I’d want is for the Springs to be the model. It’s a sprawling exercise in nothingness.
DS reminds me of just another fancy designer merch oriented shopping center. I like the ambiance and character of Citi Walk, especially in the night with the lights. Citi Walk is restaurants and entertainment. DS is retail. If shopping is your thing, then DS is it.

I agree there’s nothing wrong with the aesthetic of Citywalk…it’s unique and utilizes the water well.

But you guys are selling Disney Springs a little short too. Homecomin’, Morimoto, Boathouse, Jaleo, and Wine Bar George are all among the best restaurants in the area and none of them are what I’d consider “generic.” I’d put some of them above some of Winter Park’s finest honestly (Prato, Bulla, Hillstone, Sixty Vines, Ava, etc.).

I agree there’s nothing wrong with the aesthetic of Citywalk…it’s unique and utilizes the water well.

But you guys are selling Disney Springs a little short too. Homecomin’, Morimoto, Boathouse, Jaleo, and Wine Bar George are all among the best restaurants in the area and none of them are what I’d consider “generic.” I’d put some of them above some of Winter Park’s finest honestly (Prato, Bulla, Hillstone, Sixty Vines, Ava, etc.).
It does what it needs to do well.

Fancy shopping? ✔
Cheaper Disney based shopping? ✔
Fancy dining? (Morimoto, Jaleo, etc.) ✔
Quick Service dining? (Blaze, etc.) ✔
Cheesy, kitschy dining options (Rainforest Cafe, T-Rex, etc.)? ✔
Unique bar options? ✔
Entertainment? (Concerts, Cirque Du Soleil, Splitsville, hot air balloon etc.) ✔
Transportation to and from the resorts? ✔

Are there places it can improve? Absolutely. But it's honestly in a pretty solid place right now after being a dated, construction wall maze of a destination for quite some time.

I don’t think comparing Springs to CityWalk is a fair comparison..

I think Universal realizes that CityWalk is more of a pass through for the parks whereas Disney Springs is a half day destination
Good point....Plus, Citi Walk's proximity to the parks translates into it being a really good alternative to eating in the parks, and gives park customers so many more 'good' choices to eat. .
So easy and convenient to pop out of the parks for a nice sit down meal, and then back into the parks to resume touring. DS, due to it's far off location, is a different beast.....For Universal, Citi Walk is just about perfect.
And Disney Springs is right for WDW, since it's parks are scattered over a large distance....Win win for both Universal & Disney.

If you guys want to drag Disney Springs into this and compare. Disney Springs food is lightyears ahead of City Walk. I love Universal too but the food at City Walk is boof compared to Disney Springs. Sorry, not sorry.

I mean, is there even a possibility of expanding Citywalk?

The only way I could see it being possible is if they grew a bit into the direction of Hard Rock and took up some of the walkway area.

I've always viewed Disney Springs as a destination

CityWalk, to me, is more of a utility

I personally find CityWalk more useful

Yeah, cause you're forced to walk through it lol

It's also A LOT more expensive to eat at DS than CityWalk

Things have changed recently. Antojitos and Hard Rock are a pretty good value still, but it's starting to get expensive for way worse quality compared to DS.

The only way I could see it being possible is if they grew a bit into the direction of Hard Rock and took up some of the walkway area.

Sort of, they have lots of abandoned/underutilized spaces.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95

They have that empty lot between Rockit and Hard Rock, also an empty spot between Pat O’s and Movie Escape. They could also put a new show in Blue Man Group theater

Besides the food court and the tattoo shop, there really is nothing at CityWalk that just flat out sucks. It’s a pretty solid lineup

Last edited:
They have that empty lot between Rockit and Hard Rock, also an empty spot between Pat O’s and Movie Escape. They could also put a new show in Blue Man Group theater

Besides the food court and the tattoo shop, there really is nothing at CityWalk that just flat out sucks. It’s a pretty solid lineup
They definitely could fit something in that plaza space between Hard Rock and Rockit for sure

They could build a new theater complex and free up that space for retail

I'd be lying if I wasn't looking up square footage of the soundstages and that lead up area to see if they could put a Universal Horror Unleashed there.

I'd be lying if I wasn't looking up square footage of the soundstages and that lead up area to see if they could put a Universal Horror Unleashed there.
If we're just looking at the space between Rockit and Hard Rock, looks like it's roughly 27k sq ft.

The Legacy Store/Hot Dog Hall of Fame/Rising Star trifecta is about 14k.

Funny enough, Vivo/Cowfish/Red Oven/Coldstone are also about 14k!

Universal announced the following CityWalk events today:

Bob Marley’s Birthday Jam:
On Saturday, February 4 from 3 p.m. – 1 a.m., guests can celebrate the reggae icon, Bob Marley, during Bob Marley’s Birthday Jam at Bob Marley – A Tribute to Freedom. Guests will enjoy a variety of special entertainment – including performances by live bands, steel drummers, a DJ, stilt walkers and more – as well as exclusive food and beverage offerings. While admission is complimentary, reservations are encouraged and can be made here or by calling 407-224-3663.

Pat O’Brien’s Mardi Gras After Party: Guests can keep the festivities going all night long during Pat O’Brien’s Mardi Gras After Party – taking place from 4 p.m.- 1 a.m. on select nights during Universal’s Mardi Gras: International Flavors of Carnaval (running February 4 – April 16). This party includes live DJs, stilt walkers, exclusive food and drink offerings and more. While admission is complimentary, reservations are encouraged and can be made here or by calling 407-224-3663.

Cursed Coconut Club: This Mardi Gras season, the Red Coconut Club will transform into the Cursed Coconut Club – the ultimate Mardi Gras lounge experience. On select nights February 4 – April 16, guests can explore the mysteries of the venue’s highly-themed, bayou-inspired atmosphere and enjoy incredible entertainment, exclusive drink offerings and more. Guests can check the Official Universal Orlando Resort App for dates and hours of operation.

Super Bowl LVII Experience at NBC Sports Grill & Brew: NBC Sports Grill & Brew is proud to host the 7th annual Super Bowl dining experience, with more than 100 HD screens streaming live Super Bowl coverage on Sunday, February 12 from 5:30 p.m. to 12 a.m. Guests can experience the Super Bowl like never before with live entertainment, special characters, exclusive food and drink options – including more than 100 beers on draft and in bottles, along with a house-designed and locally-made IPA – and more. Table reservations are required and will be accommodated on a first- come, first-served basis. For more information – including pricing – and to make a reservation, email nbcsportsgrillandbrewreservations@universalorlando.com.

Pat O’Brien’s Fat Tuesday Celebration: On February 21, Pat O’Brien’s will host its annual Fat Tuesday celebration from 4 p.m. – 1 a.m.. After catching beads by the handful and savoring incredible food at Universal’s Mardi Gras: International Flavors of Carnaval, guests can head over to the venue and enjoy live entertainment – including a dueling piano set – and exclusive food and drink offerings. While admission is complimentary, reservations are encouraged and can be made here or by calling 407-224-3663.

Pat O’Brien’s St. Patty’s Day Celebration: Guests can enjoy a special “St. Patty’s Day” celebration at Pat O’Brien’s on Friday, March 17 and Saturday, March 18 from 2 p.m. – 1 a.m. Guests will enjoy exclusive food and drink options, as well as incredible live entertainment, such as a DJ, band, stilt walkers, and a dueling piano set. While admission is complimentary, reservations are encouraged and can be made here or by calling 407-224-3663.

Seems similar to the stuff they do every year- with Coconut and Mardi Gras After Party being new (?)

Are there no more cover charges at CityWalk? Bob Marley's Birthday Jam and St Patrick's party definitely had cover charges pre-pandemic. Wasn't charged my last time at Rising Star (October-ish?), but it was also dead 2 hours before close.

Universal Orlando has announced a number of special events taking place at CityWalk in February & March, including Mardi Gras festivities and a Super Bowl LVII dining experience.