Diagon Alley USH | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Diagon Alley USH

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It really depends on where  exactly Diagon is and where the Hogwarts Express station is located, two details of which we don't know yet and I must say it's kind of surreal to talk about this as something that appears to actually be happening.

Reactions: William
If Diagon Alley comes to Hollywood, I expect it to be smaller than the one in Florida. Here are some reasons.

1. We have limited space.
  2. Our single park does not have the customer base to support the amount of Potter retail Universal Orlando's two parks have.
  3. Some Diagon Alley shops can already be found in our version of Hogsmeade. There is no need for duplicates.

One could counter those arguments, though. For example, our park had limited space to begin with, but they still found a way to wedge Hogsmeade in. In addition, more guests would be visiting the park, meaning they'll be dropping more money as more retail options are offered. As for the third argument, Orlando experienced the same issue with store duplicates. They simply changed out storefronts/façades and re-themed/altered shops to offer a wider variety of shops across Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.

I'll agree with all of that aside from the last one. If they're already planning Diagon, then why are they adding Diagon shops in Hogsmeade?

I don't think it'll be dramatically smaller than Orlando's, but a smidge. Remove a couple stores, maybe.

As much as I'd like to have it bigger/same size, I think our Diagon Alley is going to be a bit smaller. Maybe narrower streets to squeeze it into USH, but we'll still have everything. 

Diagon Alley streets are narrow as it is. Anymore narrower and everyone will have to walk in a single file line. :) It'll be the same size.

Reactions: William
Here's a thought. If we don't get Hogwarts Express (which would be ridiculously unfortunate, we need more rides), that would mean that they wouldn't need to build Kings Cross Station, and just build enough of a London facade to hide just Diagon Alley. That would allow Diagon Alley to fit in a "smaller" footprint.

But again, I really really want Hogwarts Express....we need more rides for the whole family. Universal should have the "Disneyland" mentality with USH, not WDW. Disneyland is rides rides rides stuffed in every corner, making the most of the tight California land. WDW is the opposite.

Diagon Alley streets are narrow as it is. Anymore narrower and everyone will have to walk in a single file line. :) It'll be the same size.
Exactly, size of the shops and walkways will be the same, just as its the same with Hogsmeade on both coasts. Any other franchise or theme park would receive hell for making things so tight, but Universal lucked out, as the tight space is 100% authentic.

Hi Everyone! I've been lurking in the shadows for some time. Thought I'd chime in...

There has been a lot of discussion about the placement of Diagon Alley and I think we are disregarding the Evolution Plan. Before you throw your arms up in the air and say this plan was a "loose" guideline to appease local, county, and state officials…think again. Attraction development takes YEARS to plan, finance, approve, and build. When the EP was approved, a plan to include Diagon Alley was already in place. 

Universal has put much thought into the future of their park and studio operations.  USH will still be required to apply for future building permits and abide by other governing documents. I bet local agencies will be cross-referencing USH applications with the EP the next few years to ensure they are bringing the economic growth that they promised (Mostly expansion of high paying studio operation jobs). After 2020 there will likely be less scrutiny about the EP as it is a working document.

USH has stuck to the EP thus far...

P-3 : New Parking Structure - Under Construction

T-1 : New Central Plaza - Open

T-3 : New Theme Park Attraction w/ Food and Beverage Retail - Diagon Alley?????

T-4 : New Theme Park Attraction w/ Food and Beverage Retail  - (FJ and Hogsmead/ Springfield) *Included Springfield because the facilities are codependent. 

T-8 : New Attraction - Fast and Furious Supercharged - Soft Opening

T-9 : Refurbished Existing Attraction - Despicable Me - Open

H-2 : New 500 Room Hotel - Restaurant demolished 

Projects Not mentioned in the Evolution Plan

Demolition of House of Horrors  - Unknown replacement - Under Construction

Demolition of Stage 28 - Unknown replacement

Time will tell….

map.jpg

besides T-3.    i wonder if T-11 ,T-6 and T-7 will happen and what they are. they obviously for the studio tour.... any news floating around on this?

Reactions: Al2020
I feel that phase 2 of the evolution plan has nearly been finalized and there has been no indication of public knowledge of actual facts.  I am almost darn certain DA is coming.  My guess is Mummy and the stages behind Mummy.

Reactions: Aaron
I can confirm that Universal Creative has been/is working on trying to bring DA to the park. Obviously the issue is the where & how. I know Potter fans want it, but considering it only has 1 ride (2 if you count Hogwarts Express), it isn't exactly boosting the parks ride count (unlike Hogsmeade), only adding even more retail/dining unfortunately.

I know I'm probably one of the only people here that feels this way, but....

I'm really over the whole "lets build something, then clone it 3 times" mentality that Comcast seems to have. Its fine when Disney does it (correctly) resulting in being different from its relatives at other parks. DA should only be at UO, but that won't happen because the new Universal Beijing park will have BOTH Hogsmeade & DA when it opens.

So if USH could offer something different than Orlando it'd be great, but if its just a complete clone... then why push for it? I'd rather see something else entirely & get more rides/attractions out of it than see more dining/retail (although the park STILL needs a normal sit-down table service restaurant on both the upper & lower lot).

I could see Hollywood not getting Hogwarts Express and then that could open options for us to get something more unique in Diagon Alley.  I agree with having three different versions for the theme park fans like us, but for the investor safety of return profits...I don't see Universal rocking the boat away from what already works.  Like our Hogsmead, we could get Diagon, but with a few tweaks.  There is simply no need to have Ollivander's Wand Shop in our Diagon Alley.  Could we sneak in a new show or something similar?

I think Hollywood would be more concerned of removing a coaster from the park.  If they removed Mummy for Gringotts, they could say we still have a coaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is one big downside about having Gringotts built here and that would be that it adds ANOTHER 3D ride/attraction to the park which already is made up of them. A lot of guests can't do these 3D rides/attractions for one reason or another. So it really limits their enjoyment of the park. (same goes for everything new wanting to be screen based/a simulator).

Reactions: Stylowtrix