Disney+ | Page 81 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney+

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
EVERY country except for the United States is getting waaaaaayyyy more content than us for almost a year now. I just noticed (through VPN browsing) that Canada has almost all seasons of The Amazing Race on their version of Disney+. I was wondering how they even had any connection to TAR, but I forgot they inherited 50% of Endemol Shine Group from Fox. Of course they sold that 50% off in June 2020 to a French company called Banijay, so i'm still confused how the rights work. But of course Disney no longer owns Miramax and yet still gets a say on Halloween apparently, so I give up.

You don't need to watch this whole video, but just a few minutes of watching it will make you completely angry at Disney's strategy in the US. Their price did go up, but if converted in the UK, they only pay $10.71/month and everything here comes with standard subscription.

They basically get everything not only that we see on Disney+, but they get way more Fox, Searchlight, FX, Hollywood Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, Hulu, 20th Television, ABC Signature, and 20th Television Animation shows (which is all the Adult Animated shows). There's so much more bingeable content on there since everything is in one place.

Here's an article on it:

I probably go back and forth between all the streaming services about the same.

But Disney+ is the only service, I will instantly go to when there's a new show on.

Pam and Tommy being on there must be mind blowing to any Americans only used to their service.

Reactions: Coasted and Nick
I posted about this in the Netflix thread earlier but here's an article from a more credible website talking about the Marvel/Netflix shows leaving Netflix globally for Disney. ABC Signature produced them, so I assume they were able to take them back pretty easily.

I'm assuming the six shows will be going to Disney+ around most of the world, but i'd bet highly on them going to Hulu in the US.

So I've been thinking about this, and to me, I almost wonder if they might have an announcement on this for Super Bowl.

Disney+ has been at Super Bowl for the past two years, yes? And while I don't think simply having mention of the Marvel Netflix shows being there, why not announce with new footage of Moon Knight, small clips of other projects like Hulu's Predator and Alien projects, alongside showing the legacy content of Logan and Deadpool. With Lightyear shown before SB, I can see the focus on D+ this time being on Obi-Wan, this new D+ category, and then for Marvel Studios being for Multiverse of Madness.

Just a thought anyhow.

I probably go back and forth between all the streaming services about the same.

But Disney+ is the only service, I will instantly go to when there's a new show on.

Pam and Tommy being on there must be mind blowing to any Americans only used to their service.
The only reason I can think of for not doing this in the US is that, until they buyout Comcast from Hulu or Comcast were to just wait until 2024 like the deal stipulates, they are pretty much required via that same contract to keep the valuation of Hulu up so that Comcast can get maximum payout.

However, that means they need to keep feeding Hulu with Content instead of consolidating it all to Disney+ and making it a far superior service that can actually compete with Netflix.

Lord I wish they hadn’t called this streaming service “Disney+.” So many problems would have been resolved if “Disney” wasn’t in the name.

Lord I wish they hadn’t called this streaming service “Disney+.” So many problems would have been resolved if “Disney” wasn’t in the name.
But it's not a problem anywhere except the US and Chapek seems to want to continue to add general entertainment programming to grow the service up a bit. I think eventually we'll see Hulu go defunct as a streaming service and it will either be a tile within Disney+ or they will bring the Star brand over to the US.

All they need to do is add content rating options for parental controls. Right now in the US, we top out at TV-14. The rest of the world automatically is set to TV-MA unless you put parental controls on.

But it's not a problem anywhere except the US and Chapek seems to want to continue to add general entertainment programming to grow the service up a bit. I think eventually we'll see Hulu go defunct as a streaming service and it will either be a tile within Disney+ or they will bring the Star brand over to the US.

All they need to do is add content rating options for parental controls. Right now in the US, we top out at TV-14. The rest of the world automatically is set to TV-MA unless you put parental controls on.
It may not be for Disney Internationally, but, honestly, it is for me. “Disney” really is a family brand, even if their content portfolio has significantly expanded beyond that. While it is the name of the company, I can’t help but feel that not using “Disney” as the name of the core brand when it comes to streaming would have worked wonders in terms of protecting brand image.

It may not be for Disney Internationally, but, honestly, it is for me. “Disney” really is a family brand, even if their content portfolio has significantly expanded beyond that. While it is the name of the company, I can’t help but feel that not using “Disney” as the name of the core brand when it comes to streaming would have worked wonders in terms of protecting brand image.
What were they supposed to call it when they announced it 2017 (meaning it had been in development for awhile before that) and they still didn't own Fox/most of their adult content or majority control of Hulu yet? Their only primary brands at that point were Disney animation, Marvel, and Star Wars.

Just ask anyone on here that lives in Europe that uses D+. Everyone over there launched with the same crappy baby sitter version of the service that we have in the US and they were able to transition to having adult content no problem. Even ask Bob Chapek. He mentioned on the recent earnings call that over FIFTY PERCENT of their subscribers in the US are without kids, so they know that they need to up the amount of content to appeal to those people instead of just making typical "Disney" content.

I don't think the service being called Disney+ matters much at all as long as you have the proper parental controls in place (which they do) and you make it clear that there will be mature content on your platform. Once you rip the bandaid off quick like they did internationally, it's easy to get over.

@Scott W. mentioned Disney+ is now. his most used service because of their variety of content. Could you ever imagine saying that it's your top used service about D+ as it currently is in the US? I'm sure the answer to that is no. So do you want to get hung up on a name, or do you want great content in one place?

What were they supposed to call it when they announced it 2017 (meaning it had been in development for awhile before that) and they still didn't own Fox/most of their adult content or majority control of Hulu yet? Their only primary brands at that point were Disney animation, Marvel, and Star Wars.

Just ask anyone on here that lives in Europe that uses D+. Everyone over there launched with the same crappy baby sitter version of the service that we have in the US and they were able to transition to having adult content no problem. Even ask Bob Chapek. He mentioned on the recent earnings call that over FIFTY PERCENT of their subscribers in the US are without kids, so they know that they need to up the amount of content to appeal to those people instead of just making typical "Disney" content.

I don't think the service being called Disney+ matters much at all as long as you have the proper parental controls in place (which they do) and you make it clear that there will be mature content on your platform. Once you rip the bandaid off quick like they did internationally, it's easy to get over.

@Scott W. mentioned Disney+ is now. his most used service because of their variety of content. Could you ever imagine saying that it's your top used service about D+ as it currently is in the US? I'm sure the answer to that is no. So do you want to get hung up on a name, or do you want great content in one place?
The name made perfect sense at the time, I don’t deny that. I don’t think the name will truly hold them back long term either.

The reason why I phrased it as “I wish they had named it something else” is because it would have saved a lot of headaches that we are starting to run into. Would have made everything a lot easier.

Reactions: Nick
Got a VPN and can now watch all content on Disney plus

Makes no sense you need a VPN to watch content that should be on Disney Plus in the states

Reactions: Nick
Got a VPN and can now watch all content on Disney plus

Makes no sense you need a VPN to watch content that should be on Disney Plus in the states
As I have said in the past, having my VPN turned on in the background on my Firestick is the only way I use Disney+ now. What VPN do you use?

As I have said in the past, having my VPN turned on in the background on my Firestick is the only way I use Disney+ now. What VPN do you use?
I got NordVPN

Only thing I dont like is the data capping (the download speed will only go up so high) but just wont use it on my PS5

I got NordVPN

Only thing I dont like is the data capping (the download speed will only go up so high) but just wont use it on my PS5
I used to use Nord, I use SurfShark now. I simply got a better deal with SurfShark and tbh, I like it a bit more from not just being able to choose country, but specific cities within the country, etc. But I had no issue with Nord performance wise mostly.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
So speaking of the general entertainment programming that Chapek was saying he knew Disney+ was missing, more of it is leaving Netflix from ABC, Fox, etc. This seems to be a big buyout of programming, confirmed programing leaving after the 28th is:

Marvel:
Daredevil
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
Iron Fist
The Punisher
The Defenders
Agents of SHIELD

FX:
American Crime Story (Seasons 1-2)
American Horror Story
Pose

DisneyNature:
Expedition China
Ghosts of the Mountains
Growing up Wild

Content leaving soon after February 28th:
New Girl (Seasons 1-7)
Arrested Development (Seasons 1-3)
How To Get Away With Murder
Quantico
Young & Hungry

Titles that recently left:
Glee
Private Practice
American Crime

I'm sure many of these series will be used to bulk up Disney+ in the US. II can certainly see Fresh Off The Boat, New Girl, Arrested Development, Glee, etc making their way on the service now that something like Black-ish is there. But this could also imply be a move to bulk up Hulu after they buyout Comcast, which would mean Comcast can take their content and run straight to Peacock with it. Having a lot of this type of content is what that service would need if they keep it alive after Comcast leaves.

On the other hand, Disney could simply go all in and just do a content dump and really grow up the service over night if they want to since all of this content (plus the content that they already have control of) is in their hands now.

Reactions: SeventyOne
That's a terrible trailer, but if we read between the lines, it seems like they're trying for some decent meta satire that is more aimed at adults (is any kid watching going to know that the Rogen bit at the end is goofing on Robert Zemeckis' BEOWULF?).

Also, when's the last time Roger Rabbit appeared in a new piece of Disney media?
From what I see on Wiki
There was a small Cameo of Roger in Aladdin 3, lol

So over 20 years easy. Hoping Disney Plus gives us a reason for another Bonkers Show or Roger Rabbit Sequel

That's a terrible trailer, but if we read between the lines, it seems like they're trying for some decent meta satire that is more aimed at adults (is any kid watching going to know that the Rogen bit at the end is goofing on Robert Zemeckis' BEOWULF?).

Also, when's the last time Roger Rabbit appeared in a new piece of Disney media?

John Campea had an interesting stat a couple days ago -- half of D+ subscribers are childless adults. This is pretty clearly a big ol' slice of 'memberberry pie just for them.

The only potential saving grace is that Lonely Island (and Rogan) are pretty good at satire so subtle you don't realize it's satire the first time around. "Jack Sparrow" and "Everything is Awesome" solid examples of that. I'm hoping there's a subtle element of parody under the surface of the actual movie.

Reactions: belloq87
Here's to hoping...

Fuel to the fire: Netflix Marvel shows got leaked to be releasing on March 16th, a week after Investor Day.

Reactions: SeventyOne