Disney+ | Page 85 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney+

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Little by little the two services are merging, although the pace is quickening. I'd say by 2024/25 when Comcast is out at Hulu we could see Hulu (along with possibly ESPN+) potentially cease operations and see everything shift to Disney+. Any pre-existing licensing deals Hulu or ESPN+ had would simply shift over to Disney+.

If Disney going to do that though, we're definitely going to see different price tiers that take away things at the lesser tiers like Netflix. I imagine that their service will cost $16-17 or so on the high end per month if they combined all three services and you wanted to buy the package that includes all three. Then there's the question of if Hulu with Live TV will turn into Disney+ with Live TV.

I guess my question though is... why didn't they air this weekly on Disney+ along with the whole ass season? And I guess it makes me question if Only Murders In The Building could be added after Season 2 ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerroddragon
Disney were supposed to expand their library on Plus with anime titles like Black Rock Shooter and Twisted Wonderland months ago - and they’re still not there yet.

Does anyone know what’s causing the hold up? I really enjoyed Star Wars Visions so much that it really needs more anime exclusives.

Last edited:
I hope that there's enough witty humor/poking fun at the experience so this doesn't just feel like Star Cruiser propaganda. These Star Wars Lego specials are usually pretty enjoyable so we'll see.

Disney were supposed to expand their library on Plus with anime titles like Black Rock Shooter and Twisted Wonderland months ago - and they’re still no there yet.

Does anyone know what’s causing the hold up? I really enjoyed Star Wars Vision so much that it really needs more anime exclusives.

For the sake of BRS, it is airing on D+ just not in the North Americas. I could see it talked about alongside Visions at D23.

Twisted Wonderland has had no news shared outside of the announcement. And with it being now present in the North Americas, I can bet it'll pop up for D+. Given the absence of Visions and Twisted from Anime Expo; this being the moment would allow them to have teasers present for both.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fear2010
They could expand the Visions brand with other Disney IP’s that might translate well into anime shorts/full episodes besides Star Wars.

For the sake of BRS, it is airing on D+ just not in the North Americas. I could see it talked about alongside Visions at D23.

Twisted Wonderland has had no news shared outside of the announcement. And with it being now present in the North Americas, I can bet it'll pop up for D+. Given the absence of Visions and Twisted from Anime Expo; this being the moment would allow them to have teasers present for both.
Disney+ has a ton of anime in Japan that for some reason doesn't get added to the rest of the world.

Reactions: Fear2010
Disney+ Basic, the ad-supported version, launches on December 8th at $7.99 (the current price of a regular Disney+ membership). At the same time, Disney will rename the current ad-free version to Disney+ Premium at $10.99/month. Disney expects most customers will opt for the cheaper ad-supported version.

Disney+ Basic will launch with about four minutes of ads per hour. It will start with 15- and 30-second spots but will expand to a “full suite of ad products” over time. Disney+ will not run political or alcohol ads and will not run ads on kids profiles or against pre-school programming.

A few other things to note:
  • Disney+ added 14.4M subscribers worldwide in the recent quarter to increase their subscriber count to 152.1M.
  • Disney Streaming combined (Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+) reaches 221M subscribers, which puts it past Netflix... technically. Those who are signed up for the Disney Bundle are technically individual subscribers of all three services, even if they never use something like ESPN+ for instance, so there's many who are triple counted.
  • On October 10th, Hulu raises ad-tier from $6.99 to $7.99 and ad-free tier will increase from $12.99 to $14.99. The Disney Bundle with ads will increase from $13.99 to $14.99. The Premium version with no ads will stay at $19.99.
  • On August 23rd, ESPN+ will be raising their monthly subscription price by a whopping $3 from $6.99 to $9.99 per month (just last year ESPN+ cost as little as $5.99 before an increase to $6.99). I think this is mostly designed to either entice people to spend more and sign up for the Disney bundle or get as much as they can from people who want live sports.
  • Disney did lower their projections by 2024 by 15M changing their expectations from 230 million and 260 million to 215 million and 245 million.
  • Disney reaffirmed their belief that Disney+ will be profitable by 2024.

Random thought: I feel like a Moana 2 would make Disney more money than Disney would get from Moana the Series-driven subscriptions catering to the already locked in kid demographic.

Random thought: I feel like a Moana 2 would make Disney more money than Disney would get from Moana the Series-driven subscriptions catering to the already locked in kid demographic.
I mean, yeah, but Disney has always done TV shows based on its popular movies (these simply used to exist on Disney Channel or in the old days ABC Saturday Morning). That doesn't mean a Moana 2 might not happen, but you also have to understand musicals (especially hit ones) don't just pop up overnight. A series helps give the IP something new and maybe down the line when they have a good idea and good songs for a sequel, then that gets made.

Disney's plan to have most customers on the ad plan is solid. 67% of Hulu subscribers are on an ad-plan and Hulu's average revenue per user (ARPU) is $13.15 which is extremely healthy compared to any streamer, but compare that to the Disney+ ARPU, which is $6.27 and that's currently a disaster they're trying to fix with the ad-tier and higher prices. When you add in regions that have what is called Disney+ Hotstar (Which is primarily in Southeast Asia, with India being the main country), it brings the ARPU down to $4.35

Disney+ is a cheap add on to that service, but the Hotstar component of the app is much more appealing than Disney+ as it has a full catalog of regional content along with live sports, such as Cricket, although Disney lost the bidding rights for a renewal as the price tag was getting ridiculous and they don't make enough money from this region to justify it.

Last edited:
Like many won't care but I really feel like these sites are trying to drive up Pirated numbers

No one wants ads and these price increases are a lot, many will say they put out great content but its kinda hit or miss how great that content is. If we were getting a B film like Chip and dale each month and a new series maybe but if your not a marvel or star wars fan most months have little new content most people really want to pay for

Like many won't care but I really feel like these sites are trying to drive up Pirated numbers

No one wants ads and these price increases are a lot, many will say they put out great content but its kinda hit or miss how great that content is. If we were getting a B film like Chip and dale each month and a new series maybe but if your not a marvel or star wars fan most months have little new content most people really want to pay for
For streaming services to be profitable, ads are necessary. Netflix said for over a decade that they would never put ads on their service. They had one bad quarter and they quickly decided that they were willing to change their minds in order to create a new revenue stream.

As far as your Disney+ point, you're right that Disney+ in the US is weak, but I have a feeling that on Disney+ Day and D23, we're going to hear about a lot of general content and more binge offerings coming at the very least by the time ads come.

Ads are most useful on Television series and it's been proven that while new content is good, library content with a ton of seasons is what most people watch on streaming. Disney owns a ton of this type of stuff. New Girl, How I Met Your Mother, Scrubs, Modern Family, Black-ish, Grey's Anatomy, Lost, 911 (and 911: Lonestar), It's Always Sunny, The League, Family Guy, American Dad, Bob's Burgers, Futurama, King of the Hill, etc, etc, etc.

Most other countries already have the Star tile which includes all of that content and has for a year and a half. The big problem with the US is Hulu. Disney needs to buyout Comcast's 33% in an early buyout deal and just integrate Hulu into Disney+ and the price would for sure be worth it. I still think at $7.99 with ads it is. $10.99 though for no ads and a service that is still growing up isn't worth it. Of course, i'd pay it because I hate ads and since I use a VPN straight from my firestick, I never, ever use the US version of Disney+ and it's one of my most used services because there's actually a ton to watch.

According to the release, they make about $6ish per subscriber...Obviously extrapolated to total subscriber number is a lot of money

However, when factoring in costs for production and such, the profitability for D+ is not yet there

I believe ads are a necessary evil for D+ moving forward

I wonder if everyone in the parks division has a sore back from carrying the company :tease:

Personally I'm waiting for things to circle back to the "cable broadcast" formula...Weekly releases, ads throughout, but just streamed

Gen Alpha will be explaining to us the "new invention" and we'll be like "back in my day it was called cable"

According to the release, they make about $6ish per subscriber...Obviously extrapolated to total subscriber number is a lot of money
$6.27 per subscriber on core Disney+ ($4.35 across all Disney+ subscribers). Disney knows where advertising can get them though as far as ARPU as Hulu is $13.15 per user.

Speaking of deals such as the Verizon deal (which I assume ends soon?), the D23 3-year Disney+ deal, which was 3-years/$150 (or $4.16/month), ends on November 12th of this year, which means they will likely see a higher churn rate around that time unless they can add enough library content to make people feel like the new prices are worth it.

They may also try to avoid a mass exodus of subs by offering day 0 subscribers (those who subscribed before launch day) a discount on renewals if you renew on a yearly plan or something like that, I suppose.

Speaking of deals such as the Verizon deal (which I assume ends soon?), the D23 3-year Disney+ deal, which was 3-years/$150 (or $4.16/month), ends on November 12th of this year, which means they will likely see a higher churn rate around that time unless they can add enough library content to make people feel like the new prices are worth it.

They may also try to avoid a mass exodus of subs by offering day 0 subscribers (those who subscribed before launch day) a discount on renewals if you renew on a yearly plan or something like that, I suppose.
I have the 5G Play More Plan and it has a "Disney Bundle"...I'm not sure it has an expiration date necessarily

Although some other plans do

That's why I quoted "free" in my original post. I think there is some agreement between Verizon and Disney for the bundle I'm getting

Reactions: Nick
For streaming services to be profitable, ads are necessary. Netflix said for over a decade that they would never put ads on their service. They had one bad quarter and they quickly decided that they were willing to change their minds in order to create a new revenue stream.

As far as your Disney+ point, you're right that Disney+ in the US is weak, but I have a feeling that on Disney+ Day and D23, we're going to hear about a lot of general content and more binge offerings coming at the very least by the time ads come.

Ads are most useful on Television series and it's been proven that while new content is good, library content with a ton of seasons is what most people watch on streaming. Disney owns a ton of this type of stuff. New Girl, How I Met Your Mother, Scrubs, Modern Family, Black-ish, Grey's Anatomy, Lost, 911 (and 911: Lonestar), It's Always Sunny, The League, Family Guy, American Dad, Bob's Burgers, Futurama, King of the Hill, etc, etc, etc.

Most other countries already have the Star tile which includes all of that content and has for a year and a half. The big problem with the US is Hulu. Disney needs to buyout Comcast's 33% in an early buyout deal and just integrate Hulu into Disney+ and the price would for sure be worth it. I still think at $7.99 with ads it is. $10.99 though for no ads and a service that is still growing up isn't worth it. Of course, i'd pay it because I hate ads and since I use a VPN straight from my firestick, I never, ever use the US version of Disney+ and it's one of my most used services because there's actually a ton to watch.
I hope so, if we had Bob's Burger, Prey and what not coming to Disney plus America I could get behind it more but right now the shows are very limited. Don't like cartoons, marvel or star wars then your out of luck.

Anyway, for me at least I'm just only going to have one or two streaming services where before I had most because I can't pay 80+ bucks for them all because its not worth it.

Also if Ad's were for things I wanted and need then sure...want to show me a trailer for a new video game cool but when its some car or product I dont want no idea why I have to watch ad's that I have zero interest in