Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney+

In the terms of looking into the future, Chapek is hinting in a scenario that the three major DTC services, all consolidate onto D+ properly. There's more too it, but Chapek is looking at 2024 as a chance to reconsider how the Disney Bundle operates in turn.

Disney+ US needs this badly, but since I assume they're going to continue to use the Hulu name in the US (rather than Star like they use internationally), they have to wait until they buyout Comcast in 2024. If it were up to me, i'd say just try and work with Comcast to buyout Hulu NOW rather than wait until 2024 and beyond.

At least the Hulu app works and is easy to navigate.
Hulu's been in operation since 2006 or so so i'd say they've had awhile to work out the kinks. Disney+ does need a UI update to almost something completely new, but i've used the versions that has Star (which has a lot more content) and somehow it's a lot easier to navigate than the US version which has way less content.

So following up on the whole potential of Hulu merging with Disney+ in the US...

I've talked on this many times, but the international versions are far superior to ours, especially the UK and Canada's, which I think is the superior version of Disney+. I noticed Disney+ realized they are adding so much new content (non-library) every week that they added a section letting subscribers know what's new this week. I'll compare it then to the new content we're receiving every week.

Here's what's new on Disney+ Canada just THIS WEEK:
  • Andor (3 Episode Premiere - Political Spy Thriller)
  • Dancing With The Stars (S31 Premiere - Dancing Competition)
  • Best In Dough (3 Episode Premiere - Cooking Competition)
  • Reboot (3 Episode Premiere - Comedy)
  • Super/Natural (All episodes - Nature Docuseries)
  • May It Please The Court - (2 Episode Premiere - Korean Legal Dramedy)
  • The Kardashians (S2 Premiere - Reality Show)
  • Women in Taipei (2 Episode Premiere - Taiwanese Drama)
  • She-Hulk (Episode 6 - Superhero Legal Comedy)
  • The Patient (Episode 5 - Psychological Thriller)
  • Tell Me Lies (Episode 5 - Romantic Drama)
  • American Horror Stories (Episode 4 - Horror Anthology)
  • Reservation Dogs (Episode 4 - Coming of Age Comedy)
  • Motherland: Fort Salem (Episode 9 - Supernatural Drama)
  • Fearless: The Inside Story of the AFLW (Episode 5 - Sports Docuseries)
  • The Zone: Survival Mission (Episode 5 - Japanese Survival Gameshow)
Not all shows, stream currently that are airing on Hulu, which is why I could say, change my VPN to the UK for things like the Finale to MIKE or to watch the wonderful WELCOME TO WREXHAM.

If you notice, the notion for millions across the world that Disney+ only exists to churn out Star Wars and Marvel content or as a baby sitting service just isn't true. The blue colored shows above exist on Disney+ in the US. The other 12 titles are all (with the exception of Best in Dough), rated TV-14 or TV-MA and is pretty much all Disney-owned Hulu product, except for the international content. I noted the genre of content as well to make note of how varied the current lineup of content they are releasing is.

If Disney+ was like this in the US, many would say it rivals Netflix in scale of release and there would be no denying the quality and value that at the very least their FX releases bring to the platform on a weekly basis. It's insanely frustrating that Disney continues to let themselves be held hostage by not figuring out a buyout for Hulu because the new releases aren't the only great thing. It would expand the D+ library catalog of shows and movies quite a bit.

So this really surprised me as i've yet to see the film and don't know many who have seen it. Hocus Pocus 2 is the #1 most watch film premiere (over "opening weekend"). You may think it isn't all that shocking because most of Disney+ original films aren't that great, but this isn't just counting originals, it's counting premieres.

That means it beat out: Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers, Luca, Soul, Turning Red, Hamilton, and Premier Access titles such as Black Widow, Jungle Cruise, Cruella, Mulan, and Raya.

Finally a sequel people asked for and actually watched

wonder if this will finally push Disney to give us nightmare before Christmas 2

Finally a sequel people asked for and actually watched

Tim Burton would have to agree to do that. He's a producer on the movie and his production company is credited as well. I feel like he's always said no to a sequel and tbh, unless the story and songs were just absolute gold, I wouldn't want them to make the movie. NBC is a special movie that really can't easily be given a sequel at all. I feel like maybe Corpse Bride was a spiritual sequel of sorts, but that's probably about as close as he'll come to making a NBC 2.

This is more likely to get them back writing a third Hocus Pocus movie ASAP. It shows the brand is strong and people really wanted to see this film, although based on audience scores on RT, almost half were letdown by the project with it getting a 54% audience approval rating. However, poor reception has never stopped Disney from making sequels before if people are still willing to watch them.

Tim Burton would have to agree to do that. He's a producer on the movie and his production company is credited as well. I feel like he's always said no to a sequel and tbh, unless the story and songs were just absolute gold, I wouldn't want them to make the movie. NBC is a special movie that really can't easily be given a sequel at all. I feel like maybe Corpse Bride was a spiritual sequel of sorts, but that's probably about as close as he'll come to making a NBC 2.

This is more likely to get them back writing a third Hocus Pocus movie ASAP. It shows the brand is strong and people really wanted to see this film, although based on audience scores on RT, almost half were letdown by the project with it getting a 54% audience approval rating. However, poor reception has never stopped Disney from making sequels before if people are still willing to watch them.
Haven’t seen it yet

but the first film is just good
It’s very over hyped and people have nostalgia brain so I’m the new film is a fine TV movie that people want to be better then a film from their childhood

As for Nightmare, I do love the film but Blade runner and the million other sequels that happen 20 years later show me that if they find someone who lovessss the soruce they can make a amazing second film

Last edited:
I did see it over the weekend. It's an alright sequel, though I feel the same way about the first film (don't love it, but I do enjoy watching it every couple of years whenever I feel like putting it on). It seemed like they were just trying too hard this time to make a movie that captured the magic and humor of the original, whereas everything in that just felt more natural.

The highlight, of course, is the three leading ladies. These movies live and die by their performances, and they clearly had a lot of fun returning to these roles.

It'd be a matter of both Burton and Selleck; given the hands both played. Contrast to @Nick, they have done material that has continued the NBC storyline; most notably Oogie's Revenge on the PS2 which brought back a lot of the cast and had songs made for it.

If anything, with this and Chip n' Dale; I wonder if Disney's actively looking to not only invest into bringing Hocus Pocus 3 forward; but also a sequel to Roger Rabbit. Roger has been finally getting attention through the refresh of Cartoon Spin in Toontown and his cameo appearance in Rescue Rangers; and I imagine Disney and Zemeckis have talked about it.

It'd be a matter of both Burton and Selleck; given the hands both played. Contrast to @Nick, they have done material that has continued the NBC storyline; most notably Oogie's Revenge on the PS2 which brought back a lot of the cast and had songs made for it.

If anything, with this and Chip n' Dale; I wonder if Disney's actively looking to not only invest into bringing Hocus Pocus 3 forward; but also a sequel to Roger Rabbit. Roger has been finally getting attention through the refresh of Cartoon Spin in Toontown and his cameo appearance in Rescue Rangers; and I imagine Disney and Zemeckis have talked about it.
Honestly, I kinda just want them to make more Rescue Rangers movies. Those are essentially spiritual successors to Roger Rabbit anyway and i'm not sure what exactly they could do to make a WFRR sequel not only happen, but feel like they made it because they had a solid story to tell and not just because Disney wanted yet another sequel. Rescue Rangers was fresh and surprised many.

I kinda just wish Disney would ya know, try to start a try to start a new franchise out of thin air based on something they created themselves. Suggest that to the people who run Disney Live Action and their minds wouldn't be able to comprehend. When was the last time they did this? Free Guy doesn't count because it was in development at Fox before they came along. I would've said Real Steel, but that was only distributed by Disney through an agreement with Dreamworks Pictures at the time. So, then what? National Treasure and Enchanted come to mind (although Enchanted is based a lot on Disney's fairytales, but it was still inspired thinking).

Basically everything 2010 and on have been live action remakes, sequels/prequels, or based on an existing IP, novels or theme park attractions.

I'd be down for Roger Rabbit as well

My point was just, its nice that fans watched what they begged for....because many times they can easily as flop

My point was just, its nice that fans watched what they begged for....because many times they can easily as flop

It probably helps that the target demo could watch it for free because they already get D+ for their kids (or their Star Wars addiction).

Also, and this ties into a discussion from the John Campea show yesterday dealing with Bros, comedy is one of the last star-driven genres. Having Bette Midler and Sarah Jessica Parker back made this feel more like a "real" movie worth taking the time to see. Doubt it would've done nearly as well if recast.

Spectacular Spider-Man is now on Disney+. Season 2 is combined into what they have listed as season 1 for some odd reason.

Also, Phase Four is virtually over for the MCU with Disney+ releases. I wanted to put up the Rotten tomatoes critic and Metacritic scores with the D+ releases and maybe spark a conversation on if you agree and/or drop what your MCU D+ ranking is. The rating when compiled from Metacritic is far superior than what Rotten Tomatoes gives imo.

RT Critic Score:
Ms. Marvel (97%)
What If? (94%)
Loki (92%)
Hawkeye (92%)
Werewolf By Night (91%)
WandaVision (91%)
Moon Knight (86%)
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (84%)
She-Hulk (72%)

Metacritic Rating:
Ms Marvel (78)
WandaVision (77)
Loki (74)
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (74)
Werewolf By Night (69)
Moon Knight (69)
What If? (69)
She-Hulk (67)
Hawkeye (66)

Last edited:
My Disney+ ranking so far:

LOKI
HAWKEYE
WEREWOLF BY NIGHT
WANDAVISION (the first few episodes I would say are among the very best of the Disney+ stuff, but it went way off the rails for me by the end)
MOON KNIGHT
THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER
WHAT IF?

I only watched a couple episodes each of SHE-HULK and MS. MARVEL, so it wouldn’t be fair to rank them, but given that I didn’t stick around for the entirety of those shows, one could correctly infer I wasn't on their wavelength!