Disneyland Resort | Page 150 | Inside Universal Forums

Disneyland Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't have a problem with Disney building an entire land at DCA based around the MCU. I think that should have happened in the 2010’s, during phase 1 or 2 of the MCU. My problem is simply that they botched it. It's just concrete, mini shows, and screen rides.

Obviously the ambitious new e ticket would have helped, but I think instead of multiple mini shows, make one large stunt show in place of Spiderman. Waterworld still commands huge crowds, despite being based on an IP nobody cares about. Then put the interactivity from Spiderman out in the land, with mini games, like SNW. And please, just choose any aesthetic other than bare concrete and a repurposed factory
If we're gonna do Blue Sky ideas of what they should've done, I'll add my two cents:

They should've had an Avengers-themed Cosmic Rewind coaster and then have a Dr Strange-themed Vekoma Madhouse instead of Spiderman. There's enough room to comfortably fit two theaters and preshow rooms as well as a queue. Would've been a far better use of space than Web Slingers.

When they prove they have righted the ship with the MCU, I’m all in favor of the e-ticket. But for now, maybe this is best.
I understand wanting to wait for the next Avengers movie to come out cuz "mah synergy", but really, they simply need to build a ride with the core Avengers (Iron Man, Cap, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Hulk and (maybe) Spidey) with Thanos as the villain. If I were to randomly ask guests at the park if that's what they would expect, I think a heavy majority would say "Yeah, of course!"

Disney thinks way, way WAY too hard about what to make when all they need to do is listen to the fans. We just want an Avengers ride with the core Avengers. Roller coaster or high-end dark ride. That's it. No one gives a crap about Kang or whoever else they're trying to pop up.

Like how many want Dr Doom just added to the MCU

I don't need the Avengers ride now, I don't want another Web Slingers in terms of wasted potential.

The MCU has not proven it's ready for more, I don't want them to just throw something together at this point just because Disney said it was coming...I'd rather wait for them to be able to put money and resources behind this ride along with the MCU having time to see which characters work. Like we don't even have a black Panther actor/actress right now...thats huge you are doing an Avengers ride without Black Panther?

As for what they can do for the land, more characters people seem to love them.

Also Spider is an easy change to make the ride at least have an interesting story, keep the stupid spider bots if you must but make it where the Campus has Villains being held until shield can move them and the bots ate into their cells and now XY and Z are on the lose and can be added to the ride and make it more then just shooting generic bots.

Doesn't even have to be just Spiderman Villains Bulleye will be in the MCU soon, maybe of of the Thunderbolts (maybe they escape and the government gets them after tieing into the film) or if they don't want to have MCU actors in it do Variants of Villains
The ride will never be what it should be adding Villains will help at least the story

Also plus the Dr Strange show, people seem to like it and add some map projections or something to make it a little more impressive

I was trying to think of everything DLR has done over the last 5 years...
  • Galaxys Edge, Smugglers Run & ROTR
  • Runaway Railway & Toontown redo
  • Avengers Campus & Spidey
  • Pixar Pier retheme
  • Adventureland Tree House
  • Pixar Hotel retheme
  • Tiana's Palace retheme
  • Project stardust works pre SWGE
  • Mobile food ordering & Genie+
  • Disneyland Hotel DVC Tower
Current Projects:
  • Downtown Disney Rebuild
  • Tianas Not Splash Mountain
  • Haunted Mansion Queue & Shop
I'm bummed that they don't have something other than a retheme currently under construction, and they have completely dropped the ball/missed the opportunity to open an Avengers E-Ticket, BUT the above is arguably a LOT of investment in the resort over a relatively short time period.
I keep saying that about Orlando parks too. When you add up what has been done at WDW over the last 10 years it actually is more than what Uni has done. I understand they have no announced plans right now, but honestly how many times do we have no announced plans for Uni? Uni loves last minute announcements and there are less insiders on the Disney side I feel to know what future stuff may be.

Reactions: Jamesh22
Instead of Guardians violating Tower of Terror, I wish they had given it the Hightower storyline (similar to Tokyo DisneySea) & redid HollywoodLand entirely. That area is still crying for help.

Also Spiderman is an easy change to make the ride at least have an interesting story, keep the stupid spider bots if you must but make it where the Campus has Villains being held until shield can move them and the bots ate into their cells and now XY and Z are on the lose and can be added to the ride and make it more then just shooting generic bots.
While this would make a more compelling ride narrative, it also closely resembles Spiderman at IOA (and formerly Japan). However, that's also a reason why the ride is so good at Universal. It does seem odd/lame that Disney took the boring concept route.

Reactions: mccgavin and Freak
I understand wanting to wait for the next Avengers movie to come out cuz "mah synergy", but really, they simply need to build a ride with the core Avengers (Iron Man, Cap, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Hulk and (maybe) Spidey) with Thanos as the villain. If I were to randomly ask guests at the park if that's what they would expect, I think a heavy majority would say "Yeah, of course!"

Disney thinks way, way WAY too hard about what to make when all they need to do is listen to the fans. We just want an Avengers ride with the core Avengers. Roller coaster or high-end dark ride. That's it. No one gives a crap about Kang or whoever else they're trying to pop up.
I think my issue is some of the actors playing those characters are no longer under contract. If they get the MCU on a solid path, they have new actors who they can film for the ride. Plus, part of the problem of recent MCU is they had to figure out where to go without those key characters. I’d argue Marvel still hasn’t cracked it.

Instead of Guardians violating Tower of Terror, I wish they had given it the Hightower storyline (similar to Tokyo DisneySea) & redid HollywoodLand entirely. That area is still crying for help.

While this would make a more compelling ride narrative, it also closely resembles Spiderman at IOA (and formerly Japan). However, that's also a reason why the ride is so good at Universal. It does seem odd/lame that Disney took the boring concept route.
Spiderman time, could be limited....Japan just shut it's down

But yeah, the actors are the hardest part but if they can maybe use masks and just pay for likenesses that could work, as long as the actors/look sound enough like them should be good

Universal Shrek3D and Panda shows didn't use all of the famous actors in the shows and never heard anyone complain, so should work

I mean, they could also be creative and make a new Villain or two...

Spiderman time, could be limited....Japan just shut it's down

But yeah, the actors are the hardest part but if they can maybe use masks and just pay for likenesses that could work, as long as the actors/look sound enough like them should be good

Universal Shrek3D and Panda shows didn't use all of the famous actors in the shows and never heard anyone complain, so should work

I mean, they could also be creative and make a new Villain or two...

Spider-Man isn't going anywhere in Orlando. They also aren't going to pay to develop an entirely new gameplay/show sequence just because we're disappointed with the Spider-Bots. (And to be clear, I find WEB Slingers monumentally disappointing.)

I do agree that soundalikes would suffice for many of the characters - there's a reason most MCU heroes get a mask, even if they only wear it briefly in the films. It's to facilitate toys, spin-offs, and easier CGI where using the principal star is impractical. Focus on characters that have masks (Ironman, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Star Lord) or those that are primarily CGI to begin with (Hulk). Then you can mix in a few heroes where the stars are still making movies and willing to play ball (Captain Marvel, Thor, Nick Fury, Hawkeye) to lend it legitimacy and help bridge the gap.

Almost anything would be a better use of space!

If anything, I think I was too kind when I shared my first impressions about it back in September. What a rotten attraction.

It really is pretty awful. I don't mean to pile on WDI, but they seem to be missing the forest for the trees when doing these gamified D-ticket attractions that are forced to act as E-tickets upon land opening.

Almost anything would be a better use of space!

If anything, I think I was too kind when I shared my first impressions about it back in September. What a rotten attraction.
It really is pretty awful. I don't mean to pile on WDI, but they seem to be missing the forest for the trees when doing these gamified D-ticket attractions that are forced to act as E-tickets upon land opening.
These Disney Imagineers seem to lack 'Imagination'.

I mean... yes, perhaps. But we also don't know what their mandate was, and it was developed during the budget-cut-to-death Chapek years. So I hesitate slightly to saddle the primary blame on WDI, because their hands may have been really tied.

The ride was certainly fatally flawed from conception, no question. They overthought it to an extreme and baffling degree.

Reactions: alomar
To make it worse, they copied Legoland's NINJAGO ride as far as hands-free interactive rides go. It was sad that they hyped it up so much when Ninjago had already existed 6 years prior.

Granted I'm not a fan of interactive rides (MIB & Lightyear being exceptions), however I'm also biased towards IOA's Spidey lol

Reactions: belloq87
This is the big thing. It'd be like Universal somehow making a Guardians attraction and it's just a reskin of Villain Con lol
I mean....that would take up half the space of Webslingers...so at least it wouldnt be taking up as much park space and DCA needs to use all the space it can

• Haha
Reactions: TheCodeMan95