Disney's Animal Kingdom (General Discussion) | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Animal Kingdom (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Random thought.

I hope a Moana land comes, it can be very environmentally friendly along with speaking for climate change and climate awareness. I’d rather Zootopia in DHS, so instead I think a nice peaceful Omnimover would be perfect for a land in this place. Give us a Splace esc ride, a Omnimover the level of Little Mermaid, a great restaurant, and you got yourself a very successful land imo. Would fit well into the park more than most IP’s.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Don't get me started about Lucky! :grin:

How many failures did Joe Rohde have in this particular park alone? I count at least four.

Lots o peeps love him but he's a fraud:

I look at Animal Kingdom as a unit and it's tough to dismiss his vision

Then I look at the theming on the building of Guardians Cali and think WTF

It's also tough sometimes to know where executives end and imagineering begins

Remember during a lot of AK's development Eisner was in his flat tire era

As far as Lucky goes, that was a relatively new tech that could have easily been a person in a costume

I personally, would put a performer in a costume whenever I could, there is just a certain level of interactivity

Lucky the Dinosaur 2.0?

This is clearly going to be used for a Groot or Baby Yoda thing as well as Judy Hopps from Zootopia

Last edited:
Reactions: Skold
I look at Animal Kingdom as a unit and it's tough to dismiss his vision

I completely agree! My fav WDW park! Rohde had a "thing". Just keep him out of the weeds...

As far as Lucky goes, that was a relatively new tech that could have easily been a person in a costume

Sure. The best attractions are new tech, or a new mix. Last more than 3 months, at least? As far as I know, there are only two theme park attractions (weenies?) that did not last 18 months. Looking at you, Joe.

Reactions: shiekra38
The Blue meet and greet really changed my perspective on "technology" in certain applications

Sometimes some old fashioned theater puppetry is the answer

The frustrating part is Disney keeps "#innovating" and these things are in the parks for all of two week before they're never seen again

Yeah, like Muppet Mobile Lab. It looked great for the few times it was there but non of these very expensive hobby projects where a stayer. I always dreamed of a Muppets meet and greet, talking with Kermit and Piggy would have made my day the same you can talk to Donkey or the shrunken head at Universal.
Going back to AK, it needs at least 10 new quality rides/attraction to make this park finally worth a day visit.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
Yeah, like Muppet Mobile Lab. It looked great for the few times it was there but non of these very expensive hobby projects where a stayer. I always dreamed of a Muppets meet and greet, talking with Kermit and Piggy would have made my day the same you can talk to Donkey or the shrunken head at Universal.
Going back to AK, it needs at least 10 new quality rides/attraction to make this park finally worth a day visit.
Unfortunately, we'll probably never see more than one or two new attractions, not just replacements, in AK. It's just not in it's DNA since it's a hybrid zoo/theme park. We've never spent more than six or seven hours
in AK. There's not much to do, besides the zoo stuff. And zoo stuff, has low repeatability. Beautiful park, but that combination of theme park/zoo is problematic when it comes to balancing costs/profit.

Definitely needs a bunch more attractions to get people to commit a full day, or at least more than 5 hours at this park lol

I'm surprised after the success of Toy Story Land they haven't tried to pull off a similar land here. DAK needs any capacity they can get.

Unfortunately, we'll probably never see more than one or two new attractions, not just replacements, in AK. It's just not in it's DNA since it's a hybrid zoo/theme park. We've never spent more than six or seven hours
in AK. There's not much to do, besides the zoo stuff. And zoo stuff, has low repeatability. Beautiful park, but that combination of theme park/zoo is problematic when it comes to balancing costs/profit.

It's not a zoo. Not a zoo. Sheesh.

Actually, I have wondered how much more they can add and if the rides bother the animals. Everest is far enough away from Safari but I still wonder this. Of course, the animals probably get used to it and ignore the humans who don't have something to eat.

It's not a zoo. Not a zoo. Sheesh.

Actually, I have wondered how much more they can add and if the rides bother the animals. Everest is far enough away from Safari but I still wonder this. Of course, the animals probably get used to it and ignore the humans who don't have something to eat.
But, that's the problem. It's presented as, and partially budgeted, as a modern day zoo (like Cinn. or SD open area zoos). Expensive to maintain all of those animals and animal areas. Less budget available for what we would consider theme park attractions. Being from Cincy, you probably recall the animal safari that occupied a large area of King's Island park, and AK's animal areas, and animals are many multiples of that. KI got rid of that a long time ago. AK, for all intents and purposes is a full fledged hybrid theme park. I don't think they have any intent to ever have a large number of ride type attractions.

But, that's the problem. It's presented as, and partially budgeted, as a modern day zoo (like Cinn. or SD open area zoos). Expensive to maintain all of those animals and animal areas. Less budget available for what we would consider theme park attractions. Being from Cincy, you probably recall the animal safari that occupied a large area of King's Island park, and AK's animal areas, and animals are many multiples of that. KI got rid of that a long time ago. AK, for all intents and purposes is a full fledged hybrid theme park. I don't think they have any intent to ever have a large number of ride type attractions.

I agree. Was just teasing you as I made the zoo comment once and was told "it's not a zoo!!" Heck, they now have a show focusing on the animal care at Animal Kingdom that basically mirrors The Zoo, Secrets of the Zoo, and others. I loved that safari ride but the animals kept getting out which is mostly why it's gone. Although, if you go to Jungle Jims grocery in Fairfield, OH, you can see the original monorail and trains (they use them for special events like weddings).

They have put themselves into a tough position. If Animal Kingdom is an animal park, they have keep the animals in the forefront. However, people don't want to spend $160 per day to see animals when they can go to a local zoo for a lot less in cost. A day at the Columbus Zoo or Cincinnati Zoo (which is Top 10 in the US) will run around $30/person, with approximately 1.5 million visitors annually. Animal Kingdom's animal presentation isn't that much better to justify the cost. So, it's a hybrid but then the rides should focus on nature or on animals. Well, that's not easy thematically if you're focused on IP insertion. The Jungle Book is okay and Moana, though a stretch, is okay. I figure that Disney will start stretching thematic consistency just like they did with Epcot and, before long, the animals will be a distant second place to the rides.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Mad Dog
I agree. Was just teasing you as I made the zoo comment once and was told "it's not a zoo!!" Heck, they now have a show focusing on the animal care at Animal Kingdom that basically mirrors The Zoo, Secrets of the Zoo, and others. I loved that safari ride but the animals kept getting out which is mostly why it's gone. Although, if you go to Jungle Jims grocery in Fairfield, OH, you can see the original monorail and trains (they use them for special events like weddings).

They have put themselves into a tough position. If Animal Kingdom is an animal park, they have keep the animals in the forefront. However, people don't want to spend $160 per day to see animals when they can go to a local zoo for a lot less in cost. A day at the Columbus Zoo or Cincinnati Zoo (which is Top 10 in the US) will run around $30/person, with approximately 1.5 million visitors annually. Animal Kingdom's animal presentation isn't that much better to justify the cost. So, it's a hybrid but then the rides should focus on nature or on animals. Well, that's not easy thematically if you're focused on IP insertion. The Jungle Book is okay and Moana, though a stretch, is okay. I figure that Disney will start stretching thematic consistency just like they did with Epcot and, before long, the animals will be a distant second place to the rides.
They had a Jungle Book show when the park opened, it was so bad it got canceled within a year.
Guardians of the Galaxy would have been a perfect match, it has a racoon and a walking tree, what do you want more.

• Haha
Reactions: SkiBum
Happy Belated 25th Birthday, you forgotten Disney stepchild, you.
the-goon-nothing.gif

• Love
Reactions: GA-MBIT